Broncos Close Regular Season at SDSU Wednesday
Boise State will attempt to gain momentum heading into next week's Mountain West Tournament when the Broncos take on regular-season champion San Diego State Wednesday night in San Diego.
Pregame Notes for San Diego State Contest
- Boise State will attempt to gain momentum heading into next week's Mountain West Tournament when the Broncos take on regular-season champion San Diego State Wednesday night in San Diego.
- Tip for the contest is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. (Mountain) in Viejas Arena on the SDSU campus.
- Follow the Game at:
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350), Chris King will call all the action
- Live Stats: www.BroncoSports.com
- Live Internet Audio: www.BroncoSports.com
- Next Up For Boise State: Boise State will participate in its first Mountain West Tournament next week in Las Vegas, Nev. The Broncos will be the No. 6 seed into the event and will play the No. 3 seed, either UNLV or Colorado State, in the late game on Wednesday, March 7, at 9:30 p.m. (Mountain) in the Thomas and Mack Center at UNLV.
Boise State Versus San Diego State
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: Boise State will try to extended its win streak to two following Saturday's 61-53 come from behind victory over Wyoming in Boise. That was preceded by a trio of defeats, at Colorado State (67-58) on Feb. 14, at TCU (73-69) on Feb. 18 and a home loss to UNLV (75-66) on Feb. 22.
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The Wyoming win brought Boise State back to .500 at 14-14 overall and 5-8 in conference, good for sixth-place.
- RECENTLY FOR SDSU: The Aztecs enter Wednesday's finale coming off an upset 68-65 loss at Colorado State on Saturday. That was preceded by 17 wins in the previous 18 games, including four in a row.
- SAN DIEGO STATE'S RECORD: SDSU has clinched the regular-season MW title with a 21-6 overall mark and a 11-2 conference record heading into the match-up with Boise State.
- THE FIRST MEETING: The Aztecs won the first meeting of the season in Boise (Feb. 1) by 10 points, 69-59.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos finiished the year 10-7 at home in Taco Bell Arena bringing their all-time mark to 254-132 (65.8 pct.) and 145-81 (64.2 pct.) in conference games since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- BRONCOS ON THE ROAD: The Broncos are 4-7 on the road this year with two wins coming in MW play at Air Force (81-75) and at New Mexico (68-64).
- THE AZTECS AT HOME: San Diego State is 12-1 at home this year and undefeated in MW play (6-0).
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by Kati Isham (4th MW) averaging 14.7 points per game and Lauren Lenhardt (5th MW) at 14.0 ppg. They have combined for 41 percent of the Broncos' points per game. Lenhardt is fifth in the MW for scoring during league games at 16.1 ppg powered by five games with 20-plus points. Nicole Brady is fifth in the league for rebounding at 6.7 rpg.
- LEADING THE AZTECS: Courtney Clements leads the MW in scoring at 17.1 points per game, followed by Chelsea Hopkins at 9.8 ppg. Hopkins and Chaires Culberson lead SDSU on the glass averaging 5.7 rebounds per game, respectively.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: The game will feature Boise State's top-ranked scoring offense on the year and in league play averaging 69.2 and 64.9 points per game, respectively. SDSU just behind the Broncos on the year averaging 65.8 ppg, during conference games they are tied for third at 64.2 ppg. Defensively, the Broncos struggle ranked seventh in scoring defense allowing 67.4 ppg compared to San Diego State's league leading 54.9 ppg.
- PRESEASON POLL: San Diego State was picked to place second in the MW race, while Boise State was projected at eighth in this year's preseason poll (combined coaches and media poll).
- THE COACHES: Beth Burns is 264-178 (59.7 pct.) overall in 16 years at SDSU, and is 2-0 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his seventh season at Boise State where he is 124-92 (57.4 pct.), 520-219 (.704) in 25 seasons all-time, and 0-2 versus the Aztecs.
Last Time Between Boise State and SDSU (Feb. 1)
- Wednesday's encounter will be the second meeting of the season, second as conference rivals and third all-time in the series which SDSU leads 2-0.
- The Aztecs won the first meeting of the season at Boise on Feb. 1 by a 69-59 score.
- The other win came in San Diego Dec. 20, 2005 by a 54-51 score.
- The first game was tight throughout the first half with seven lead changes and five ties before SDSU took a five-point (31-26) lead into the break.
- Boise State was unable to regain the lead in the final 20 minutes but kept the game close with the largest deficit being 13 points on a few occasions.
- Turnovers crushed the Broncos who committed 26 giving SDSU a 21 to 13 edge in points off turnovers.
- Lauren Lenhardt led Boise State with 24 points, followed by Kati Isham's 13. Nicole Brady added seven points and a team-high eight rebounds.
- Courtney Clements led three Aztecs in double-figures with 20 points to go with a team-high seven boards. Chelsea Hopkins added 13 points followed by Malia Nahinu with 12.
- Boise State shot better at 42.3 percent from the floor, 38.9 percent (7-18) from the arc but struggled from the free-throw line at 61.5 percent (8-13).
- SDSU shot 38.3 percent from the floor, 15.8 percent (3-19) from 3-point range and 71.4 percent (20-28) from the charity stripe.
- SDSU dominated the paint 32 to 18 in points and 17 to 10 in second chance points.