Broncos Host Aztecs on Saturday
Boise State looking for a break through win against San Diego State.
Marta Hermida has led Broncos in scoring the last two games.
Feb. 26, 2016
San Diego State (11-15, 6-9 MW) at Boise State (16-10, 9-6 MW)
- Facts: Saturday, Feb. 27 | 2 p.m. (Mountain) | Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Parking: Free parking is available in the Albertsons Stadium Parking Lots
- Admission: Adults: $6 | Senior Citizens (62 YOA): $4 | Youth: $4 | Boise State Students: Free with student ID card
- Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats | Twitter
GAME PREVIEWSan Diego State | Saturday, Feb. 27 | Boise, IdahoSan Diego State Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (16-10, 9-6 MW) will look to get back on track this Saturday when the San Diego State Aztecs (11-15, 6-9 MW) come to town for a 2 p.m. (Mountain) tip in Taco Bell Arena.
- Last Time: SAN DIEGO, Calif. (Jan. 16) - Boise State handed San Diego State a dominating 30-point loss winning 75-45 at San Diego ... all five starters for Boise State scored double-figure points, including Shalen Shaw (11 points, 13 rebounds) and Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego (14 points, 10 assists) who finished with double-doubles ... Boise State trailed for only 41 seconds in the game at 2-0 to open the contest ... the Broncos responded with a 21-5 run to seize control and never looked back ... up 15 at the end of the third quarter, Boise State put the clamps down defensively holding the Aztecs scoreless in the fourth to run away with the Broncos first ever win in six trips at San Diego State.
- Next Up: The Broncos will travel for the last time in regular season play when they head to Reno, Nev., for a Tuesday night encounter with the Nevada Wolf Pack (5-21, 4-11 MW).
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Aztecs are currently sitting at eighth place in the MW standings at 6-9 and are 11-15 overall ... they have won five straight including a 53-40 home win over Wyoming on Wednesday.
- Preseason Poll: The Aztecs were picked to place sixth out of 11 teams in the preseason MW coaches’/media poll.
- SDSU Leaders: On the year, McKynzie Fort leads the Aztecs averaging 14.5 points (5th MW) and 4.3 rebounds per game ... Ahjalee Harvey adds 9.6 points per game.
- SDSU as a Team: On the year, the Aztecs are averaging 59.2 points (9th MW) per game and allow 63.2 (6th MW) ... SDSU is shooting 38.3 percent (7th MW) from the floor, 29.8 percent (6th MW) from 3-point range and 65.5 percent (9th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, SDSU holds opponents to 41.9 percent (9th MW) from the floor and 32.4 percent (7th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 16-10 overall and 9-6 in MW play, tied for third place ... they are on a four-game losing streak following a 78-68 loss at UNLV on Wednesday.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.6 points (4th MW) and 5.1 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.8 points (9th MW) and 5.0 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw averages 12.3 points (13th MW) and team-high 8.7 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 9.8 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 68.5 points (4th MW) per game on the year and is shooting 42 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 32.6 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 74.8 percent (2nd MW / 26th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.5 points per game (7th MW) on 39.3 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 30.9 percent (5th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 11th meeting all-time between the two programs with the Aztecs leading the series 7-3 overall and 6-3 in the MW regular-season series.
- In San Diego: SDSU leads the series when played in San Diego 5-1, but Boise State did win there earlier this year by a 75-45 score.
- In Boise: The series is tied 2-2 in Boise ... the Broncos have won the last two meetings in Taco Bell Arena versus the Aztecs.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 123-94 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
BRONCO QUICK HITS
- A Boise State win and losses by both Utah State and New Mexico would clinch a top-5 finish for the Broncos and give them a first round bye at next month’s MW Championship Tournament at Las Vegas March 7-11.
PAHUKOA 16TH NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- The Broncos are still looking to end the February chill that has caused them to struggle the last three weeks shooting an icy 35.8 percent from the floor and 26.2 percent from beyond the arc.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team in scoring at 14.6 points per game, fourth in the MW.
- Brooke Pahukoa is ranked 16th nationally for 3-point percentage at .428.
- Shalen Shaw has nine double-doubles this season, the most recent coming in the loss to CSU (Feb. 10) with 11 points and 11 rebounds, both team highs ... her eight double-doubles in league play is a conference best.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 11 of the last 16 games ... she ranks second in the MW on the year at 8.7 rebounds per game and first during league play at 9.8 rpg.
- Miquelle Askew is second on the team in scoring at 12.8 points per game (9th MW) ... she is currently ninth on the career scoring list with 1,234 points.
- Miquelle Askew is third on the team for rebounding at 5.0 rpg ... she now ranks 15th on the Boise State career list with 567 ... she needs 24 to move into a tie for 14th at 591.
BRONCOS ARE 26th IN NCAA
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting .428 to rank 16th nationally.
- She has been ranked as high as second twice for 3-point percentage on Jan. 17th (49.4 pct.) and Feb. 2 (47.7 pct.).
- As a team the Broncos are second in the MW and are ranked 26th in the nation for free throw percentage at 74.8 percent.
- The Broncos are in range to set a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.