Broncos Travel to Face UNLV
Boise State is looking to get back on winning track when Broncos travel to Las Vegas.
Feb. 23, 2016
Boise State (16-9, 9-5 MW) at UNLV (14-12, 7-8 MW)
GAME PREVIEWUNLV | Wednesday, Feb. 24 | Las Vegas, Nev.UNLV Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (16-9, 9-5 MW) will look to get back on track this Wednesday night when the Broncos travel to Las Vegas to face the UNLV Lady Rebels (14-12, 7-8 MW) at 8 p.m. (Mountain) in Cox Pavilion.
- Last Time: BOISE, Idaho (Jan. 27) - Brooke Pahukoa scored 20 points to lead Boise State to a 75-56 victory over UNLV in Taco Bell Arena ... Pahukoa was one of four Broncos in double-digit points as Boise State pulled away in the second half to win convincingly ... Boise State never trailed in the game, won all four quarters and took a five-point 35-30 lead into halftime .... The Broncos out scored the Lady Rebels 25-15 in the third period and took a commanding 15-point 60-45 advantage into the fourth, eventually winning it by 19 points.
- Next Up: The Broncos will return home to host one of the hottest teams in the conference in San Diego State (11-15, 5-9 MW), winner of four straight, Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Lady Rebels are currently sitting at sixth place in the MW standings at 7-8 and are 14-12 overall ... they have struggled as of late as well dropping four of five games and are coming off a 71-65 loss at Nevada on Saturday.
- Preseason Poll: The Lady Rebels were picked to place fifth out of 11 teams in the preseason MW coaches’/media poll.
- UNLV Leaders: On the year, sophomore Dakota Gonzalez leads the Lady Rebels averaging 14 points (6th MW) and 4.8 rebounds per game ... Brooke Johnson adds 13 points (8th MW) per game.
- UNLV as a Team: On the year, the Lady Rebels are averaging 60.6 points (8th MW) per game and allow 58.5 (2nd MW) ... UNLV is shooting 34.9 percent (10th MW) from the floor, 27.6 percent (9th MW) from 3-point range and 66.9 percent (8th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, UNLV holds opponents to 37 percent (3rd MW) from the floor and 32.6 percent (7th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 16-9 overall and 9-5 in MW play, third place ... they are on a three-game losing streak following a 70-60 home loss last Wednesday (Feb. 17) to New Mexico, proceeded by 83-51 home defeat to Colorado State (Feb. 10) and a 82-58 road loss at Wyoming (Feb. 13).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15 points (4th MW) and 5.2 rebounds (t-19th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.7 points (10th MW) and 5.2 rebounds (t-19th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw averages 12.4 points (12th MW) and team-high 8.8 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 10.1 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 68.6 points (t-3rd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 41.8 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 32.4 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 74.8 percent (2nd MW / 25th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63 points per game (6th MW) on 39 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 30.4 percent (4th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 13th meeting all-time between the two programs with the Broncos leading the series 7-5, while UNLV holds a 5-4 edge in the MW regular-season series.
- Interesting Series Note: So much for home court advantage, strangely enough the visiting team leads the series on the opponent’s home floor.
- In Las Vegas: Boise State leads 5-2 in Las Vegas including a pair of wins last year 78-67 in the regular-season game followed by a 64-46 win in the MW Tournament.
- In Boise: The Lady Rebels lead the series in Boise 3-2 ... however, the Broncos won 75-56 on Jan. 27 in the first meeting of 2016.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 123-93 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
BRONCO QUICK HITS
- A Boise State win on Wednesday would clinch a top-5 finish for the Broncos and give them a first round bye at next month’s MW Championship Tournament at Las Vegas March 7-11.
BRONCOS ARE 25th IN NCAA
- The Broncos are still looking to end the February chill that has caused them to struggle the last three weeks shooting an icy 33.6 percent from the floor and 23.2 percent from beyond the arc.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team in scoring at 15 points per game, fourth in the MW.
- Brooke Pahukoa is back into the top-10 nationally at seventh place for 3-point percentage at .442.
- Shalen Shaw has nine double-doubles in the last 16 games with the most recent coming in the loss to CSU (Feb. 10) with 11 points and 11 rebounds, both team highs ... her eight double-doubles in league play is a conference best.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded 10 or more rebounds in 11 of the last 15 games ... she ranks second in the MW on the year at 8.8 rebounds per game and first during league play at 10.1 rpg.
- Miquelle Askew is second on the team in scoring at 12.4 points per game (10th MW) ... she is currently ninth on the career scoring list with 1,219 points.
- Miquelle Askew is tied for second on the team for rebounding at 5.2 rpg ... she now ranks 15th on the Boise State career list with 565 ... she needs 26 to move into a tie for 14th at 591.
- As a team the Broncos are second in the MW and are ranked 25th in the nation for free throw percentage at 74.8 percent.
- The Broncos are in range to set a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.