Broncos Close Home Slate Saturday Versus Wyoming
Boise State will try to snap a three-game losing streak when the sixth-place Broncos host the fourth-place (tied) Wyoming Cowgirls Saturday afternoon in a Mountain West game in Taco Bell Arena at Boise.
BRONCO SENIOR DAY
Wyoming (11-14, 7-5 MW) at Boise State (13-14, 4-8 MW) What's Happening
Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. (Mountain)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
Radio: KTIK (AM 1350)
Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
Live Audio: BroncoSports.com
Live Video with Audio: BroncoSports.com (fee)
Pregame Notes for Wyoming Contest
- Boise State will try to snap a three-game losing streak when the sixth-place Broncos host the fourth-place (tied) Wyoming Cowgirls Saturday afternoon in a Mountain West game in Taco Bell Arena at Boise.
- Tipoff for the home finale is scheduled for 2:06 p.m. (Mountain).
- This contest is Boise State's "Senior Day" in recognition of the Broncos' three seniors Heather Pilcher, Kati Isham and Nicole Brady.
- Next Up For Boise State: Boise State will close the regular-season next Wednesday when the Broncos travel to league leading San Diego State for a 8:00 p.m. (Mountain) tip in Viejas Arena at San Diego.
Boise State Versus Wyoming
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: Boise State will try to get back on the winning track following a trio of defeats, last week at Colorado State (67-58) on Tuesday (Feb. 14) and at TCU (73-69) this past Saturday (Feb. 18), as well as Wednesday's home loss to UNLV (75-66).
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The three losses dropped Boise State to 13-14 overall and 4-8 in conference, good for sixth-place.
- RECENTLY FOR WYOMING: The Cowgirls enter Saturday's game coming off a home loss Tuesday night to San Diego State (68-55), preceded by two wins over Air Force (71-58) on the road and Colorado State (66-62) in overtime at home.
- WYOMING'S RECORD: UW brings a 11-14 overall mark and a 7-5 conference record into the match-up with Boise State.
- THE FIRST MEETING: The Cowgirls won the first meeting of the season in Laramie, Wyo., (Jan. 28) by 20 points 84-64.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos are 253-132 (65.7 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena and 144-81 (64 pct.) in conference games since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- PRESNELL AT HOME: The Broncos are 74-30 (71.2 pct.) at home under coach Presnell and 9-7 this season.
- THE COWGIRLS ON THE ROAD: Wyoming is 4-7 away from Laramie, 4-6 on the opponents' floor and 0-1 on neutral courts.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by Kati Isham (4th MW) averaging 14.6 points per game and Lauren Lenhardt (5th MW) at 14.5 ppg. They have combined for 42 percent of the Broncos' points per game. Lenhardt is second in the MW for scoring during league games at 17.3 ppg powered by five games with 20-plus points. Nicole Brady is fifth in the league for rebounding at 6.8 rpg.
- LEADING THE COWGIRLS: Chaundra Sewell leads the Cowgirls in scoring and on the glass averaging 13.3 points (7th MW) and 8.6 rebounds (1st MW) per game during the year. Kayla Woodward and Ashley Sickles follow at 12.2 ppg (12th MW) and 12.0 ppg (13th MW), respectively.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: The game will feature Boise State's top-ranked scoring offense on the year and in league play averaging 69.5 and 65.2 points per game respectively. Wyoming is fourth during conference games at 62.7 ppg. Defensively, the Broncos struggle ranked seventh in scoring defense allowing 67.7 ppg compared to Wyoming's second-ranked team at 55.9 ppg.
- PRESEASON POLL: Wyoming was picked to place fifth (tied) in the MW race, while Boise State was projected at eighth in this year's preseason poll (combined coaches and media poll).
- THE COACHES: Joe Legerski is 171-104 (62.2 pct.) overall in 9 years as a head coach, all at Wyoming, and is 3-1 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his seventh season at Boise State where he is 123-92 (57.2 pct.), 519-219 (.703) in 25 seasons all-time, and 1-3 versus the Cowgirls.
Last Time Between Boise State and Wyoming (Jan. 28)
- Saturday's encounter will be the second meeting of the season, second as conference rivals and ninth all-time in the series which is tied at four wins apiece.
- The Cowgirls won the first meeting of the season at Laramie on Jan. 28 by a 84-64 score.
- The series record is Boise State 3-0 in Boise and 1-0 on a neutral floor, Wyoming 4-0 in Laramie.
Bronco Record Book (Career)
- The first game had Boise State up 12-7 four minutes into game when the Broncos lost their legs and the Cowgirls seized control with a 22-6 run and never looked back.
- This was the only league loss that the Broncos were not in down the stretch as they trailed by 18 at the half and by as many as 37 in the second period.
- Julia Marshall led Boise State with 15 points, eight in the final four minutes. Kati Isham added 12 points, Lauren Lenhardt 11 and Nicole Brady 10.
- Chaundra Sewell led UW with a double-double on 19 points and 10 boards, followed by Kaitlyn Mileto with 16 points, Ashley Sickles with 15 and Kayla Woodward with 14.
- Boise State shot 38.7 percent from the floor, 25 percent (5-20) from the arc and 73.3 percent (11-15) from the free -throw line.
- Wyoming shot 53.4 percent from the floor, 40.9 percent (9-22) from 3-point range and 86.7 percent (13-15) from the charity stripe.
- Turnovers crushed Boise State who gave the ball away 17 times accounting for a 27 to eight advantage for the Cowgirls in points off turnovers.
- Lauren Lenhardt has moved to 20th in career points with 869 ... fifth in field goal percentage at 49.6 pct. ... seventh in free throw percentage at 77.7 pct. ... ninth in total blocks with 70.
- Kati Isham seventh in career 3-pointers made with 134 ... second in career 3-point percentage at 36.5 pct. ... eighth in free throw percentage at 77.3 pct.
- Heather Pilcher is 11th in steals with 156 ... 17th in assists with 207 ... seventh in games played at 120.