UNLV (19-8, 7-4 MW) at Boise State (13-13, 4-7 MW)
Wednesday, Feb. 22, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
Radio: KTIK (AM 1350)
Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
Live Audio: BroncoSports.com
Live Video with Audio: BroncoSports.com (fee)
- Boise State will try to snap a two-game losing streak when the sixth-place Broncos host the third-place (tied) UNLV Lady Rebels Wednesday night in a Mountain West game in Taco Bell Arena at Boise, tip-off is scheduled for 7:06 p.m. (Mountain).
- This contest is Boise State's annual "Pink Night" in recognition of breast cancer victims, everyone is encouraged to wear pink to the game.
- Next Up For Boise State: Boise State will close its home schedule this coming Saturday when the Broncos host the University of Wyoming (11-13, 7-4 MW) for "Senior Day," tip is scheduled for 2:06 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena.
Pregame Notes for UNLV Contest
- RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE: Boise State will try to get back on the winning track following a pair of disappointing defeats last week at Colorado State (67-58) on Tuesday (Feb. 14) and at TCU (73-69) this past Saturday (Feb. 18). Both games slipped away from the Broncos in the final four minutes.
- BOISE STATE'S RECORD: The two losses dropped Boise State to 13-13 overall and 4-7 in conference, good for sixth-place.
- RECENTLY FOR UNLV: The Lady Rebels enter Wednesday's game on a two-game win streak after defeating TCU 55-54 and New Mexico 65-60 at home in Las Vegas.
- UNLV'S RECORD: UNLV brings a 19-8 overall mark and a 7-4 conference record into the match-up with Boise State.
- THE FIRST MEETING: The Lady Rebels won the first meeting of the season in Las Vegas (Jan. 25) by 16 points 66-50.
- BRONCOS AT HOME: The Broncos are 253-131 (66 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena and 144-80 (64.3 pct.) in conference games since it opened in the fall of 1982.
- PRESNELL AT HOME: The Broncos are 74-29 (71.8 pct.) at home under coach Presnell and 9-6 this season.
- THE LADY REBELS ON THE ROAD: UNLV is 8-4 away from Las Vegas, 6-4 on the opponents' floor and 2-0 on neutral courts.
- LEADING THE BRONCOS: Boise State is led by Kati Isham (4th MW) averaging 14.8 points per game and Lauren Lenhardt (5th MW) at 14.5 ppg. They have combined for 42 percent of the Broncos' points per game. Lenhardt is tied for first during league games at 17.5 ppg powered by five games with 20-plus points. Nicole Brady is fifth in the league for rebounding at 6.9 rpg.
- LEADING THE LADY REBELS: Kelli Thompson leads UNLV on the year at 12.8 points per game (10th MW), followed by Lenita Sanford at 11.2 ppg (14th MW). Jamie Smith and Sanford are 3rd and fourth in the MW on the boards averaging 8.2 and 7.3 rebounds per game respectively.
- COMPARING THE TEAMS: The game will feature Boise State's second-ranked scoring offense in league play averaging 65.2 points per game against UNLV's sixth-ranked offense at 61.3 ppg. Defensively, UNLV is fourth allowing 57.9 ppg versus Boise State's 67 ppg, seventh.
- PRESEASON POLL: UNLV was picked to place fifth (tied) in the MW race, while Boise State was projected at eighth in this year's preseason poll (combined coaches and media poll).
- THE COACHES: Kathy Olivier is 278-252 (52.5 pct.) overall in 19 years as a head coach and 46-44 (51.1 pct.) at UNLV, 1-1 versus Boise State. Gordy Presnell is in his seventh season at Boise State where he is 123-91 (57.5 pct.), 519-218 (.704) in 25 seasons all-time, and 2-1 versus UNLV.
Boise State Versus UNLV
- Wednesday's encounter will be the second meeting of the season, second as conference rivals and fourth all-time in the series which Boise State leads 2-1.
- The Lady Rebels won the first meeting of the season in Las Vegas on Jan. 25 by a 66-50 score.
- Boise State's wins came in Las Vegas during nonconference regular-season tournaments, the first was a 76-63 Bronco win (12/20/06) and the second was a 74-66 victory (11/28/09).
Last Time Between Boise State and UNLV (Jan. 25)
- The first game was much closer than the final score and was a single-digit contest until about the five minute mark when the Broncos faded.
- Boise State was down eight with five minutes to go when UNLV rolled off a 12-4 run to finish with a game-high 16-point win.
- Lauren Lenhardt was the only Bronco in double figure scoring with 19. Four others were grouped at seven too eight points.
- Four Lady Rebels hit double digit points led by Kelli Thompson with 24, Sandrine Nzeukou, Jamie Smith and Mia Bell all had 10.
- Boise State shot 40.8 percent from the floor, 33.4 percent (4-12) from the arc and 85.7 percent (6-7) from the free -throw line.
- UNLV shot 40.9 percent from the floor, 27.3 percent (3-11) from 3-point range and 52.9 percent (9-17) from the charity stripe.
- Turnovers crushed Boise State who coughed the ball up a season-high 27 times accounting for a 24 to six advantage for UNLV in points off turnovers.
- The Lady Rebels also dominated the paint out scoring the Broncos 46 to 30 down low.