Boise State Hosts UNLV Wednesday Night
This is the 10th edition of the series between fourth-place Broncos and fifth-place Lady Rebels.
Brooke Pahukoa leads Broncos over last eight games averaging 15 points per game.
Feb. 17, 2015
- UNLV (10-13, 7-5 MW) at Boise State (16-7, 8-4 MW)
- Feb. 18, 2015 at 7 p.m. (Mountain Time)
- Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- 10th Meeting in Series
- Game: The Broncos (16-7, 8-4 MW) host the UNLV Lady Rebels (10-13, 7-5 MW) in conference action this Wednesday at 7 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena.
- Promotion: This is “Hometown Heros Night.” All firefighters, police officers, medical staff and active or retired military personnel in uniform or with ID get into the game for free with $3 tickets for family members.
- Next Up: Boise State will be on the road for two straight games starting this Saturday afternoon at Nevada with a 5 p.m. (Mountain) tip at the Lawlor Events Center in Reno.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason MW Poll: The Mountain West preseason coaches and media poll selected Boise State to place second and UNLV sixth in this year’s league race.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos enter the game at 16-7 overall and 8-4 in MW play, good for fourth place.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won two straight, on the road at Air Force 88-69 (Feb. 11) and most recently at home over Fresno State 75-66 (Feb. 14) in overtime.
- UNLV’s Record: UNLV enters Wednesday’s contest in Boise at 10-13 on the year and 7-5 in league.
- Recently for UNLV: The Lady Rebels are also on a two-game win streak with a 73-70 overtime road win at Fresno State (Feb. 11) and a 82-61 home win versus Air Force (Feb. 14).
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 11-1 at home in 2014-15 and are 13-1 in their last 14 games ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 283-145 (.661 pct.) all-time in facility.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have struggled on the road this year and are now 5-6 away from Boise in 2014-15 ... they snapped a three-game skid away from Boise with the 19-point 88-69 win at Air Force (Feb. 11).
- UNLV at Home: The Lady Rebels have gone 7-4 at home this year and 4-2 in league games.
- UNLV on the Road: UNLV has also struggled on the road this year going 3-9 away from Las Vegas. However, it has won two straight on the road entering the week, at Air Force 91-79 (Jan. 31) and last week at Fresno State.
- Bronco Leaders: In MW games, Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14.3 points (MW 6) and 4.8 rebounds per game, on the year she leads the MW in 3-point percentage at .449 (NCAA 10) ... Brooke Pahukoa is second in scoring during conference averaging 11.8 ppg (MW 15), Miquelle Askew follows at 10 ppg ... Camille Redmon leads on the glass at 6.9 rebounds per game (MW 9).
- Lady Rebel Leaders: In MW games, Danielle Miller leads the MW in scoring on the year at 18.4 points per game and in league play at 18.9 ppg ... Alana Cesarz is second at 12.8 ppg (MW 12) and adds a team-high 8.0 rebounds per game (MW 3) during conference play.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 73.7 points (MW 2/NCAA 38) and a league-best 74.9 ppg during MW action ... Defensively, the Broncos are fifth in the league allowing 61.9 points per game and 65.5 points per game (MW 8) in conference play ... on the year the Broncos out score and out rebound opponents by league-best +11.9 (NCAA 29) and +5.9 per game (NCAA 43), respectively.
- UNLV as a Team: Offensively, the Lady Rebels are averaging 70.3 points per game (MW 3) on the year and 68.2 ppg (MW 2) in league play ... Defensively, they are allowing 70.4 ppg (MW 8) this season and 65.3 ppg (MW 7) during the MW campaign.
- The Coaches: Kathy Olivier is now in her seventh season as head coach at UNLV where she is 95-117, her career mark is 327-325 in 22 years. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 170-134 and 566-261 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 10th meeting all-time between the Rebels and Broncos with Boise State leading by a slim 5-4 margin.
- Current Streak: Boise State swept UNLV last year and won the first meeting this year in Las Vegas (Jan. 14) for the current Bronco three-game win streak.
- Series at Boise: The Lady Rebels lead the series 2-1 in games played at Boise.
- MW Series: UNLV leads the conference series 4-3 since Boise State joined the league for the 2011-12 campaign.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 108-84 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 29-29 against those schools in MW contests.
BRONCOS AT HOME
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 11-1 at home in 2014-15 and are 13-1 in last 13 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 282-145 (.661 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Scoring Margin: The Broncos have out scored opponents by an average of 21.6 points per game at home this season, 79-to-57.4.
- Key Stats: This year the Broncos are out scoring opponents at home 23.9-to-14.2 (+9.7 ppg) in points off turnovers, 32.7-to-22.2 (+10.5 ppg) in the paint, 14.4-to-6.9 (+7.5 ppg) in second chance points and 33-to-13.7 (+19.3 ppg) in bench points.
- Presnell Era: The Broncos are 104-43 (70.8 pct.) overall in Taco Bell Arena during the Gordy Presnell era.
- First Record Set: Coach Presnell set the program record for wins in conference games when the Broncos defeated Colorado State (Dec. 31) giving him 74 ... the record now stands at 81.
- Second Record Set: Coach Presnell set the school record for games coached at Boise State when the Broncos tipped at San Diego State (Feb. 7) in his 302 game ... the record is now at 304.
- Approaching Another Record: Coach Presnell is approaching Connie Thorngren’s (1970-1984) record for most wins at the school with 179, Presnell is at 170.
TOP 50 NATIONALLY
- Team: Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in six different statistical categories: 9th in 3-pointers made per game (8.6), 12th in 3-point percentage (.375), 20th in assists per game (16.7), 29th in scoring margin (+11.9), 38th in scoring (73.7) and 43rd in rebound margin (+5.9).
- Weaver: Deanna Weaver is currently ranked 10th in 3-point percentage (.449) and 60th in 3-pointers per game (2.5).
- Redmon: Camille Redmon is 47th nationally in blocks per game (2.2).
- Ranking: Boise State is averaging 73.7 points per game to rank second in MW and 38th nationally ... they lead the MW during conference play at 74.9 ppg.
- 80-Plus: The Broncos have scored 80-plus points nine times this year ... the last time was 88 points at Air Force (Feb. 11) ... they reached that mark five times last year ... the Broncos are 8-1 in those games ... the lone loss was 83-82 at Colorado State (Jan. 28).
- 70-Plus: The Broncos have scored 70-plus points 15 times this season and are 13-2 in those contests ... they loss 88-78 at San Jose State (Jan. 21) and 83-82 at Colorado State (Jan. 28) ... when scoring below 70 the Broncos are 3-5.
- Record Pace: The Broncos scoring average of 73.7 points per game currently ranks fourth in program history.
The Last Meeting
January 14, 2015
Las Vegas, Nev.