Broncos Host Lobos Wednesday Night
Boise State and New Mexico will face off in Taco Bell Arena on Wednesday.
Feb. 14, 2017
NEXT UP FOR THE BRONCOS
- GAME 24: New Mexico (14-10, 9-4 MW) at Boise State (16-7, 6-6 MW)
- LOCATION: Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- DATE: Wednesday, Feb. 15
- TIME: 7 p.m. (Mountain)
- SERIES: Boise State leads the series 8-6
- INTERNET VIDEO STREAM: Watch Live on Mountain West Network
- RADIO BROADCAST: Listen Live on KTIK, AM 1350
- LIVE STATS: Stats on GameTracker
- PROMOTION: Annual Play4Kay/Cancer Awareness (Pink) Game ... everyone wearing pink to the game receives a $3 ticket.
Boise State Notes
Follow the Broncos On Social Media
QUICK GAME PREVIEW
- The Game: The Broncos (16-7, 6-6 MW) return home this Wednesday when they host the New Mexico Lobos (14-10, 9-4 MW) in Mountain West Conference action at 7 p.m. (MT) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Promotion: Annual Play4Kay/Cancer Awareness (Pink) Game ... everyone wearing pink to the game receives a $3 ticket.
- Next Up: Boise State will be on the road Saturday when they face the Wyoming Cowgirls (18-6, 10-3 MW) at 2 p.m. (MT) in Laramie.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games throughout the season. Chris Lewis is in his fourth season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
- Watch Live: The game will be broadcast live on the internet via the Mountain West Network on BroncoSports.com.
LAST TIME THEY MET
- The Broncos enter the week at 16-7 overall and 6-6 in league, good for sixth place ... they are coming off a 69-59 road victory at Air Force last Saturday.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads Boise State on the year averaging 13.3 points per game (10th MW) ... Shalen Shaw adds 10.6 points (18th MW) and team-high 7.0 rebounds (12th MW) per game ... Marijke Vanderschaaf chips in 10 points (21st MW) and 6.1 rebounds (18th MW) per game.
- On the year Boise State is second in the Mountain West in scoring offense averaging 70.2 points per game while shooting 40.2 percent (4th MW) from the floor and 32.8 percent (4th MW) from behind the arc.
- New Mexico is coming off a pair of victories winning 82-72 at San Jose State (Feb. 4), then 81-64 at home against Air Force (Feb. 8).
- Cherise Beynon leads four Lobos averaging double-figure points at 16.1 points (3rd MW) and a MW-high 6.6 assists per game ... Richelle van der Keijl adds 14.0 points (8th MW) and 9.5 rebounds (2nd MW).
- On the year New Mexico is averaging 69.1 points (3rd MW) per game, while allowing 62.4 ppg (6th MW) ... the Lobos shoot 39.7 percent (6th MW) from the floor as a team and 27.8 percent (11th MW) from beyond the arc.
- This will be the second meeting of the year with UNM winning the first 75-68 in Albuquerque (Jan. 18).
- This will be the 15th meeting in the all-time series with the Broncos leading 8-6 and 6-5 in MW regular season contests.
- Last time they met was in Albuquerque (Jan. 18) when Brooke Pahukoa scored a team-high 21 points in an attempt to lead Boise State back from 16 points down as the Broncos lost 75-68 at New Mexico.
- Boise State trailed by 16 (56-40) with 3:55 left in the third quarter before rallying in the fourth.
- Boise State came back in the final 10 minutes pulling to within three 71-68 with 33 seconds left when Shalen Shaw nailed a left corner 3-pointer.
- Unfortunately, the Broncos came up short on a couple of chances to pull even closer in the final 30 seconds as New Mexico held off the blue and orange at the free-throw line as Cherise Beynon went 4-of-4 from the charity stripe to put the game away.
BRONCO FASTBREAK NOTES
- The Broncos are 6-6 in conference play following a 69-59 road win at Air Force on Saturday (Feb. 11).
- Boise State is now 16-7 overall and has clinched its fourth-consecutive winning season ... the Broncos are 11-2 at home in Taco Bell Arena and 5-5 on the road this season.
- During league play the Broncos have been a much different team at home than they have been on the road ... Boise State is 4-2 at home winning by 7.2 points per game, while it is 2-4 on the road and losing by an average of 1.2 points per game.
- On the year, Boise State has a balanced offensive attack and has had three or more players reach double-figure scoring in 16 of 23 games ... they are 14-2 in those 16 contests.
- The balanced attack includes 10 players having scored double-digit points this season, eight have led the team in scoring at least once ... no one has led the team in scoring more than seven times (Brooke Pahukoa).
- The Broncos currently have three players averaging double-digit points led by Brooke Pahukoa (13.3 ppg) followed by Shalen Shaw (10.6 ppg) and Marijke Vanderschaaf (10.0 ppg) ... five players average 7.9 or more points per game.
- Four Broncos have reached double-digit points at least 10 times each and a total of six have had five or more with a high of 13 by Brooke Pahukoa.
- Boise State is fourth in the MW for 3-point percentage as a team at .328 ... they have made at 173 3-pointers this season and rank 48th nationally for 3-pointers made per game at 7.6.
- Defensively, Boise State ranks second in the MW and is 25th nationally in 3-point defense holding opponents to 27.4 percent from beyond the arc.
- The Broncos started the season off at 12-1 overall which tied for the best start in program history after 13 games, since the 1974-75 squad set the school record at 12-0 before dropping to 12-1 ... the 1971-72 and 1973-74 teams also went 12-1.
- Boise State just completed its best pre-conference campaign in program history at 10-1.
- Winter Chill, Boise State shot 38.8 percent from 3-point range in nonconference play to lead the MW and rank 17th nationally, since Christmas and the start of league the Broncos have struggled shooting a chilly 26.6 percent to rank 10th in the MW (conference games).
- Head coach Gordy Presnell hit the 600 career wins milestone against Portland (Dec. 18), Presnell is the 32nd coach in NCAA DI history to hit the mark ... he now has 607 wins.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team and ranks 10th in the MW for points per game at 13.3 ... she has a team-high 13 games in double-digit points, six with 20-plus, including 21 at New Mexico (Jan. 18) and 23 versus San Jose State (Jan. 21).
- Brooke Pahukoa has moved into 10th all-time (1,210) for career points at Boise State, 51 (1,261) short of tying for ninth.
- Brooke Pahukoa is 10th in the MW for 3-point percentage at .355 and is ninth in the league for 3-pointers per game at 1.8.
- Shalen Shaw is second on team and 18th in MW for scoring at 10.6 points per game ... she leads the team and is 12th in MW for rebounds at 7.0 per game.
- Shaw tallied a team-high eight rebounds against Concordia (Dec. 7) to reach the 500 career rebounds milestone ... she currently stands at 587 to rank 15th all-time at Boise State, five short of sole possession of 14th and eight short of 12th.
- Shaw ranks fourth among active players this year in the MW for career double-doubles with 14, two this season.
- Yaiza Rodriguez has dished out nine or more assists in six contests to date and six or more in 12 games ... she has three with 10-plus.
- Rodriguez is second in the MW and 19th nationally in assists per game at 6.2.
- Rodriguez set the school’s career assists record earlier this fall at 452 and has since stretched it out to 567.
- Rodriguez is now fourth in MW history for career assists at 567.
- Marijke Vanderschaaf is averaging 6.1 rebounds per game (2nd on team / 18th MW) and has 13 games with six or more boards ... she had a career-high 11 in win at Colorado State (Dec. 31).
- Vanderschaaf is averaging 10 points per game and has scored double-figure points in 11 contests including a career-high 22 at San Diego State (Jan. 7) and team-high 20 in the win over Wyoming (Jan. 28).
- Joyce Harrell earned her first career start in the win over Wyoming (Jan. 28) tallying four points, a team-high seven rebounds, as well as a team and career-high four blocks.
- Harrell led Boise State in her second career start versus Colorado State (Feb. 1) tallying a team and career-high 13 points to go with a team high and career-tying eight rebounds.
- Jordan Woodvine has been coming on lately for the Broncos and is averaging 7.9 points and 2.9 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game over the last seven contests.