It is Broncos Versus Bulldogs in Key MW Game
Boise State hosts MW leader Fresno State at 2 p.m. Saturday in Taco Bell Arena.
Deanna Weaver will lead the Broncos against the Bulldogs.
Feb. 13, 2015
- Fresno State (17-5, 9-2 MW) at Boise State (15-7, 7-4 MW)
- Feb. 14, 2015 at 2 p.m. (Mountain Time)
- Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- 32nd Meeting in Series
- Game: The Broncos (15-7, 7-4 MW) host Mountain West leader Fresno State (17-5, 9-2 MW) in a big home conference game at 2 p.m. on Saturday in Taco Bell Arena ... the Broncos are 10-1 at home this season and look to snap an 11-game losing streak to the Bulldogs.
- Promotion: This is the annual Play4Kay and “Pink” game for the Broncos in support of Breast Cancer Awareness month ... Play4Kay is an avenue of the Kay Yow Cancer Fund to raise awareness and money for research in the fight against women’s cancers.
- Next Up: Boise State will host the UNLV Lady Rebels (9-13, 6-5 MW) in conference action next Wednesday at 7 p.m.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason MW Poll: The preseason coaches/media poll selected Boise State to place second in this year’s league race, while picking Fresno State fourth.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 15-7 overall and 7-4 in MW play, good for fourth place.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have gone 4-3 over the last seven games winning three at home and dropping three on the road before winning 88-69 at Air Force this past Wednesday (Feb. 11).
- Fresno State’s Record: The Bulldogs enter the game at 17-5 on the year and 9-2 in league play, good for first place.
- Recently for Fresno State: The Bulldogs saw a 13-game win streak snapped last Saturday in a 56-51 road loss at San Jose State, they then lost their second straight this past Wednesday 73-70 in overtime to UNLV at Fresno.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 10-1 at home in 2014-15 and are 12-1 in their last 13 games ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 282-145 (.660 pct.) all-time in facility.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have struggled on the road this year and are now 5-6 away from Boise in 2014-15 ... they snapped a three-game skid away from Boise with the 19-point win at Air Force Wednesday night (Feb. 11).
- Fresno State at Home: The Bulldogs lost for the first time this season at home on Wednesday night in the overtime loss to UNLV and are now 11-1 in the Save Mart Center.
- Fresno State on the Road: Fresno State is 6-4 on the road this season and 4-1 in league contests.
- Bronco Leaders: In MW games, Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14.7 points (MW 6th) and 4.8 rebounds per game, on the year she leads the MW in 3-point percentage at .456 (NCAA 11th) ... Brooke Pahukoa is second in scoring during league games averaging 11.6 ppg (MW t-16th), Miquelle Askew follows at 8.8 ppg ... Camille Redmon leads on the glass at 7.2 rebounds per game (MW 7th).
- Bulldog Leaders: In MW games, Alex Sheedy leads Fresno State with a team-high 14.5 points per game (MW 7th) to go with 6.0 rebounds (MW 15th) ... Shauqunna Collins follows at 11.6 ppg (MW t-16th) ... Bego Faz Davalos leads on the glass at 6.6 rebounds per game (MW 10th).
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 73.7 points (MW 2nd/NCAA 38th) and a league-best 74.9 ppg during MW action ... Defensively, the Broncos are fifth in the league allowing 61.7 points per game and 65.5 points per game (MW 7th) in conference play ... on the year the Broncos out score and out rebound opponents by league-best +12 (NCAA 30th) and +6.4 per game (NCAA 41st), respectively.
- Fresno State as a Team: Offensively, the Bulldogs are averaging 64.4 points per game (MW 6th) on the year and 61.7 ppg (MW 5th) in league play ... Defensively, they are allowing 58.7 ppg (MW 2nd) this season and league-best 54.5 ppg during the MW campaign.
- The Coaches: Jaime White is now in her first season as head coach at Fresno State where she is 17-5, her career mark is 134-132 in nine years. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 169-134 and 565-261 in his 28th season all-time.
- All-Time Record: This is the 32nd meeting all-time between the Bulldogs and Broncos with Fresno State leading 20-9.
- Current Streak: Fresno State has won 11 straight in the series.
- Last Year: The Bulldogs swept the 2013-14 series winning the league opener 72-63 in Fresno, then won 78-72 in overtime at Boise.
- Series at Boise: The Bulldogs lead the series in games played at Boise by a 10-3 margin.
- MW Series: Fresno State leads the MW conference series 4-0 since the Bulldogs joined the league for the 2012-13 campaign.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 107-84 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 28-29 in MW contests.
BRONCOS AT HOME
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 10-1 at home in 2014-15 and are 12-1 in last 13 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 282-145 (.660 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Home Streak: Boise State had an active nine-game win streak in Taco Bell Arena snapped on Jan. 10 in a five-point loss to Wyoming.
- Scoring Margin: The Broncos have out scored opponents by an average of 22.7 points per game at home this season, 79.4-to-56.6.
- Key Stats: This year the Broncos are out scoring opponents at home 23.9-to-13.8 (+10.1 ppg) in points off turnovers, 32.9-to-21.3 (+11.8) in the paint, 15.5-to-6.7 (+8.8 ppg) in second chance points and 34.7-to-13.2 (+21.5 ppg) in bench points.
- Presnell Era: The Broncos are 103-43 overall in Taco Bell Arena during the Gordy Presnell era.
- First Record Set: Coach Presnell set the program record for wins in conference games when the Broncos defeated Colorado State (Dec. 31) giving him 74 ... the record now stands at 80.
- Second Record Set: Coach Presnell set the school record for games coached at Boise State when the Broncos tipped at San Diego State (Feb. 7) in his 302 game ... the record is now at 303.
- Approaching Another Record: Coach Presnell is approaching Connie Thorngren’s (1970-1984) record for most wins at the school with 179, Presnell is at 169.
TOP 50 NATIONALLY
- Team: Boise State is ranked in the top 50 nationally in six different statistical categories: 8th in 3-pointers made per game (8.8), 9th in 3-point percentage (.377), 18th in assists per game (17.0), 30th in scoring margin (+12), 38th in scoring (73.7) and 41st in rebound margin (+6.4).
- Weaver: Deanna Weaver is currently ranked 11th in 3-point percentage (.456) and 46th in 3-pointers per game (2.6).
- Redmon: Camille Redmon is 43rd nationally in blocks per game (2.3).
- Ranking: Boise State is averaging 73.7 points per game to rank second in MW and 38th nationally ... they lead the MW during conference play at 74.9 ppg, 6.5 more points per game than second-place San Jose State at 68.4 ppg.
- 80-Plus: The Broncos have scored 80-plus points nine times this year ... the last time was 88 points at Air Force (Feb. 11) ... they reached that mark five times last year ... the Broncos are 8-1 in those games ... the lone loss was 83-82 at Colorado State (Jan. 28).
- 70-Plus: The Broncos have scored 70-plus points 14 times this season and are 12-2 in those contests ... they loss 88-78 at San Jose State (Jan. 21) and 83-82 at Colorado State (Jan. 28) ... when scoring below 70 the Broncos are 3-5.
- Record Pace: The Broncos scoring average of 73.7 points per game currently ranks fourth in program history.
The Last Meeting
February 26, 2014