Boise State Travels to Face San Diego State
Broncos looking for first win over Aztecs on the road.
Feb. 4, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State game notes.
- Opponent: San Diego State Aztecs (7-11, 4-4 MW)
- Location: San Diego, Calif. (Viejas Arena)
- Date: Feb. 5, 2014 (Wednesday)
- Time: 6 p.m. (7 p.m., Mountain)
- Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
- Liv Video: TheMW.com
The Last Meeting
|San Diego State||64
January 8, 2014
- The Game: Boise State (12-8, 7-2 MW) opens the week on the road at defending regular-season champion San Diego State (7-11, 4-4 MW) this Wednesday night in a big game for the Broncos as they attempt to extend their six-game win streak and stay in the 2014 title hunt. Tip for the contest is 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Viejas Arena on the SDSU campus in San Diego.
- Radio Broadcast: Listen live to each game via radio broadcast by KTIK (AM 1350) and at BroncoSports.com as Chris Lewis calls the action.
- Follow the Game: The contest at San Diego State will feature live stats on BroncoSports.com at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/bosu-w-baskbl-sched.html, as well as live video at the Mountain West website at http://www.themw.com/#!/watch-live.
- Next Up: Boise State returns home for a Saturday afternoon game with Utah State (10-10) 4.5 MW) in BRONCO GYM at 2 p.m. The game is a “Black Out” with $1 tickets for admission.
- All-Time Record: Wednesday’s game will be the seventh meeting all-time in the series between the Broncos and Aztecs with San Diego State holding a 5-1 advantage overall and 4-1 in MW encounters.
- Broncos at SDSU: Boise State has never defeated the Aztecs in San Diego and is 0-3 all-time in Viejas Arena.
- Last Year: Boise State and San Diego State met twice last year with the Aztecs winning both contests: 64-40 in Boise and 86-45 in San Diego.
- First Meeting of 2014: BOISE, Idaho - Deanna Weaver led Boise State with a career-high 25 points as the Broncos dominated San Diego State 73-64 in their Mountain West homer opener at Taco Bell Arena.
- Tied at 14 with 10 minutes to go in the first half Boise State took control of the game out scoring the Aztecs 25 to 12 for a 39-26 halftime lead.
- The Broncos were never really threatened in the second period leading by as many as 17 points with six minutes to play.
- San Diego State did attempt to rally late in the game pulling to within eight points on two occasions.
- Weaver led all scorers and went 8-of-16 from the floor as the Broncos claimed their first ever victory over the defending MW champions.
- Miquelle Askew battling the flu all week returned to double figure scoring with 13 points on 3-of-8 shooting from the floor and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line.
- Danesha Long led three Aztecs in double figure scoring with 14, followed by Khristina Hunter with 12 and Chairese Culberson with 11.
- Boise State finished the night shooting 41.8 percent (23-55) from the floor, 42.9 percent (9-21) from beyond the arc and 81.8 percent (18-22) from the free-throw line.
- San Diego State shot 38 percent (19-50) from the floor, 30 percent (3-10) from the 3-point line and 74.2 percent (23-31) from the charity stripe.
- The game was a turnoverfest with each team giving it away 24 times, the Broncos held a 29-23 edge in points off turnovers.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason Poll: San Diego State was picked to place third in the 2014 conference race in the combined coaches and media preseason poll, while Boise State was selected eighth.
- Recently for Boise State: Recently Boise State has defeated San Jose State (Jan. 25) 90-69 and Air Force (Jan. 29) 77-63 on the road, followed by a 79-49 home win over UNLV (Feb. 1).
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos have won six straight games and eight of their last 10. Boise State enters the week 12-8 on the year and 7-2 in conference action, good for sole possession of second place in the league standings.
- Recently for San Diego State: The Aztecs split last week defeating Utah State 88-72 at home, then lost 95-48 at league-leading Colorado State on Feb. 1.
- SDSU’s Record: The Aztecs are 7-11 overall and 4-4 in MW play, tied with Wyoming for sixth-place.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 9-2 overall and 4-0 during MW action in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 270-142 (.655 pct.) all-time in the arena.
- Boise State on the Road: After dropping their first six road games of the season the Broncos are now on a three-game win streak and are 3-6 on the road.
- SDSU at Home: The Aztecs are 5-5 in Viejas Arena this year.
- Leading the Broncos: Deanna Weaver leads the team in scoring and rebounding averaging 13.7 points and 6.6 rebounds per game, after 10 contests. Miquelle Askew leads the team in total points with 268 points for a 13.4 per game average (t-9th MW), followed by Lexie Der at 10.9 ppg (26th MW).
- Leading the Aztecs: Cierra Warren leads SDSU in scoring and is the only Aztec averaging double-digit points at 14.4 ppg (5th MW), followed by Danesha Long at 9.8 ppg. Warren and Khristina Hunter lead the team in rebounding at 6.2 rebounds per game, 13th and 14th in MW, respectively.
- Boise State as a Team: On the year Boise State is averaging 71.7 points (6th MW) and 36.7 rebounds (10th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 69.3 points (7th MW) and 39.2 boards (5th MW) per game ... in league they are scoring 71.3 ppg (4th MW) and rebounding 35.6 rpg (10th MW), while allowing 62.7 ppg (2nd MW) and 37.6 rpg (5th MW).
- SDSU as a Team: This season the Aztecs average 64.4 points per game (9th MW) and 39.8 rebounds (6th MW) per game, while allowing 69.2 points (6th MW) and 34.7 rebounds per game (1st MW). In conference action they are averaging 68.8 ppg (8th MW) and 43.4 rpg (2nd MW), defensively they allow 68.9 ppg (7th MW) and 34.6 rpg (2nd MW).
- The Coaches: Stacie Terry is in her first season at San Diego State where she is 7-11, her career mark is the same. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 148-121 and 544-248 in his 27th season all-time.
TOP INDIVIDUAL PERFORMANCES
- Double-Doubles: Leading Boise State in double-doubles this year is Lexie Der with three, most recently at Utah State (Jan. 18) with 19 points and 11 rebounds. Miquelle Askew is next with two followed by Keiahnna Engel and Deanna Weaver with one apiece.
- Scoring Points: The Broncos are running a fast paced scoring offense this year which has them averaging 71.7 points per game to rank sixth in the Mountain West and 92nd nationally.
- Below 70: The key for Boise State is keeping the opponent below 70 points, the Broncos are 11-1 this season when they do and 1-7 when they do not.
- Five Minute Mark: In Boise State’s first 20 contests the team leading with five minutes left in the game has won 19 times. Only once has a team rallied to win, that was in the Bronco’s victory over Idaho State (Nov. 29).
- Halftime: Boise State is 11-1 when leading at the half and 1-7 when trailing at the break.
For the complete game notes download the pdf version.