Broncos at Utah State Wednesday
Boise State looks to extend win streak to seven when it faces the Aggies.
Feb. 2, 2016
Boise State (14-6, 7-2 MW) at Utah State (10-10, 5-4 MW)
GAME PREVIEWUtah State | Wednesday, Feb. 3 | Logan, UtahUtah State Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (14-6, 7-2 MW) has won six straight games entering Wednesday’s game at Utah State (10-10, 5-4 MW) in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum at Logan.
- Big Game: This will be the third-consecutive game for the Broncos in which they face the team directly behind them in the MW standings in a third versus fourth encounter.
- Last Time They Met: On Jan. 6th Boise State battled back from five points down with 29 seconds remaining in regulation to tie it on three Brooke Pahukoa free throws in the final seconds to force overtime. Shalen Shaw then scored eight of Boise State’s 11 points in the extra period to hand the Broncos an exciting 84-78 come from behind overtime victory against Utah State at Taco Bell Arena.
- Next Up: The Broncos will host the Air Force Falcons (0-20, 0-9 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) on Saturday in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Aggies have a 10-10 overall record and are 5-4 in league, tied for fourth place ... they have won two in a row 72-59 over San Diego State in Logan and 79-66 at Nevada last Saturday.
- Preseason Poll: The Lobos were picked to place ninth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- USU Leaders: The Aggies are led by sophomore guard Funda Nakkasoglu averaging 21.2 points (1st MW) and 4.5 assists (4th MW) per game ... Rachel Brewster follows adding 9.1 points and 5.8 rebounds (14th MW) per game.
- Utah State as a Team: On the year, the Aggies are averaging 68.8 points (3rd MW) per game and allow 67.7 (8th MW) ... USU is shooting 41.3 percent (3rd MW) from the floor, 29.7 percent (5th MW) from 3-point range and 73.5 percent (3rd MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the USU holds opponents to 38.2 percent (5th MW) from the floor and 33.6 percent (9th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 14-6 overall and 7-2 in MW play, third place ... they have won six straight, most recently the Broncos have defeated Wyoming 58-49 (Jan. 23) and UNLV 75-56 (Jan. 27) in Boise, followed by a 81-60 win at New Mexico (Jan. 30).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa the reigning MW Player of the Week, averaging 16.4 points (4th MW) and 5.5 rebounds (16th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 13.5 points (9th MW) and team-high 8.9 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 11 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew, last week’s MW Player of the Week, adds 13.4 points (10th MW) and 5.4 rebounds (t-17th MW) per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 71.1 points (2nd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 43.8 percent (1st MW / 39th NCAA) from the floor, 34.8 percent (1st MW / 45th NCAA) from the 3-point arc and 75.7 percent (1st MW / 18th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 61.7 points per game (6th MW) on 38.3 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.3 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
BRONCO QUICK HITS
- Record: This is the 30th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Broncos hold a 21-8 advantage overall and a 5-0 lead in the MW regular-season series.
- In Logan: The Broncos lead the series 8-4 in games played at Utah State.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 121-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
PAHUKOA SECOND NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- Boise State has won six straight which ties for the longest win streak since the Broncos joined the Mountain West for 2011-12.
- The six game win streak also ties for longest in conference play since the joining the MW ... 2013-14 team won six straight in league.
- The school record for longest win streak overall is 15, accomplished three times with the most recent coming during the 2007-08 Western Athletic Conference championship season.
- Boise State is a +15 in scoring during the six game win streak.
- During the streak Boise State has played 240 minutes, of that the Broncos have trailed for only 36:19.
- Of the 36:19 that the Broncos have trailed 26:49 came at San Jose State, meaning in the other five contests they have trailed for only 9:30 of 200 minutes.
BRONCOS ARE 18TH IN NCAA
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 47.7 percent (53-of-111), second nationally.
- This is the second time she has been ranked as high as second on Jan. 17th when she was hitting 49.4 percent.
- She is in range to potentially break the school season record of 46.9 percent set by Missy Dallas (38-of-81) during the 1987-88 season.
- The MW record for a season is 50.4 percent (69-of-137) by Julie Larsen of Utah in 2005-06.
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked 18th in the nation for free throw percentage at 75.7 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.