Boise State WBB Heads to Las Vegas to Face UNLV
Boise State (10-9, 3-3 MW) closes the week at Las Vegas, Nev., where the Broncos will face the UNLV Lady Rebels (7-13, 3-3 MW) Saturday afternoon in Cox Pavilion, tip is set for 4 p.m. (Mountain).
Boise State (10-9, 3-3 MW) at UNLV (7-13, 3-3 MW)
Saturday, Feb. 2, 2013, at 4 p.m. (Mountain)
Las Vegas, Nev. (Cox Pavilion)
Radio: KTIK AM 1350, Chris King (Play-by-Play)
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State (10-9, 3-3 MW) closes the week at Las Vegas, Nev., where the Broncos will face the UNLV Lady Rebels (7-13, 3-3 MW) Saturday afternoon in Cox Pavilion, tip is set for 4 p.m. (Mountain).
- This game pits the two teams tied for fourth in the Mountain West standings against each other in a key league contest.
QUICK LOOK AT BOISE STATE
- All-Time Record: Saturday's encounter with the Lady Rebels will be the fifth meeting all-time in the series between these two new conference rivals. The series is tied 2-2 all-time.
- Last Year: These two teams met twice last year with UNLV winning both regular season games 66-50 in Las Vegas and 75-66 in Boise.
QUICK LOOK AT UNLV
- The Record: The Broncos enter the game at 10-9 overall and 3-3 in MW play. They are 7-4 at home, 2-4 on the opponents' floor and 1-1 on neutral courts.
- The Broncos at Home: The Broncos are 7-4 in home (3-1 MW) games this year in Taco Bell Arena. They finished last year 10-7 overall at home, their all-time mark is now 261-136 (.657 pct.) since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- The Broncos on the Road: Boise State is 3-5 away (0-2 MW) from Boise this year. Its last road game was a hard fought 70-57 loss at Fresno State on Jan. 23.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos dropped a tough 57-56 game at home to Colorado State on Wednesday (Jan. 30).
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State is led by senior forward Lauren Lenhardt ranked fifth in the MW averaging 15.2 points and 7.2 rebounds (3rd MW) per game on the year. She currently ranks fourth the MW in scoring during league contests at 16.7 ppg and is a three-time MW Player of the Week honoree this season. Junior guard Brandi Henton adds 10.2 ppg in league games.
- As a Team: The Broncos average 63.4 points per game to rank fifth in the league, while allowing 64.8 ppg (6th MW), they rank fourth in rebound offense averaging 40.8 rpg.
- The Coach: Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 135-103 (.567 pct.), 531-230 (.698 pct.) in 25+ seasons all-time. Presnell is 2-2 all-time against UNLV.
MOUNTAIN WEST PRESEASON POLL
- UNLV's Record: The Lady Rebels enter the game at 7-13 overall and 3-3 in MW play. They are 5-6 at home, 1-5 on the opponents' home courts and 1-2 on neutral floors. In MW play they are 2-1 at home and 1-2 on the road.
- Recently for the Rebels: UNLV defeated Nevada 66-61 Wednesday night in Reno, preceded by a split last week with a victory over Colorado State in Las Vegas and a 76-54 loss at Wyoming.
- Leading UNLV: Kelli Thompson leads the MW in scoring on the year at 17.5 points per game to go with a team-second-best 6.5 rebounds per outing (8th MW). Alana Cesraz was second on the team and fourth in the MW in scoring at 15.6 points before suffering a season ending injury against Wyoming last week.
- As a Team: On the year, UNLV features the sixth ranked scoring offense in the MW averaging 62.3 points per game, while allowing 68.5 ppg (7th MW). The Lady Rebels are seventh in rebounding at 38.3 per game, while allowing opponents 41.2 boards per game (8th MW).
- The Coach: Kathy Olivier is in her fifth year at UNLV where she is 67-79 (.459 pct.), her career mark is 170-167 (.504 pct.) in 20 seasons. Olivier is 2-1 against the Broncos while at UNLV.
BRONCOS Vs. MOUNTAIN WEST
- The Mountain West Preseason Poll is a combined coaches and media poll. Boise State was picked to place seventh, while UNLV was projected third out of nine teams in the 2013 league race.
BREAKING DOWN THE BRONCOS SCORING
- Versus MW All-time: Boise State is 59-46 (56.2 pct.) all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West.
- All-Time in MW Games: The Broncos are 8-12 all-time in MW games after going 5-9 last year in their first season as members of the MW. However, they are now 8-10 against the current membership in MW games entering the year since the departure of TCU.
- All-Time in Home Games: The Broncos are 6-5 all-time in home MW games.
- All-Time in Road Games: The Broncos are 2-7 all-time in road MW games.
FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- Scoring Offense Rank: Boise State's scoring offense is ranked fifth in the Mountain West averaging 63.4 points per game on the year and fifth in league games at 61.5 ppg.
- Boise State Record When: Boise State has scored 80 points twice this year going 2-0 in those games. They have been at or over 70 points seven times with a 6-1 record. The Broncos are 2-7 when scoring 64 points or below.
- Top Scorers for All Games: Lauren Lenhardt has five double-doubles on the year. She leads the team averaging 15.2 ppg to rank fifth in the MW. Brandi Henton is second at 8.8 ppg.
- Top Scorers for MW Games: Lauren Lenhardt ranks fourth the MW in scoring during league games at 16.7 points per game, Brandi Henton adds 10.2 ppg.
- Startling Lineups: Boise State has featured eight different starting lineups which have combined to score 62.7 percent of the team's points on the year, 39.8 points per game. Eight of the 10 active Broncos have started at least once this season.
- The Bench: The Bronco bench averages 23.16 points per game (37.2 pct.). They have out scored the opponents' bench in 13 of 19 contests and by an average of seven points per game. Boise State is 8-5 when the bench out scores the opponent's.
3-POINT FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- Field Goal Percentage for all Games: The Broncos are sixth in the Mountain West for field goal percentage at 37.1 percent on the season. The season high is 51.8 percent against Carroll College (Dec. 9).
- Field Goal Percentage for MW Games: The Broncos are seventh in the Mountain West for field goal percentage during league games at 38.1 percent on the season. The season high is 45.6 percent at Fresno State (Jan. 23).
- Top Field Goal Shooters for all Games: Laura Pelse leads the team in field goal percentage at 61.3 percent but has only taken 31 shots. She is followed by Miquelle Askew hitting 49 percent (49-100) but has not taken enough shots to be rank in the MW. Lauren Lenhardt follows hitting 42.6 percent (106-249) to rank 11th in MW.
- Top Field Goal Shooters for MW Games: Laura Pelse leads during league competition hitting at 60 percent (6-10), followed by Miquelle Askew at 57.7 percent (15-26).
- 3-Pt Field Goal Percentage for all Games: From the 3-point arc Boise State is seventh in the MW at 28.1 percent, with a season high of 45 percent (9-20) at home against Wyoming (Jan. 9).
- 3-Pt Field Goal Percentage for MW Games: From the 3-point arc Boise State is fifth in the MW at 33.3 percent, with a season high of 45 percent (9-20) at home against Wyoming (Jan. 9).
- 3-Point Shooting: Seven Broncos have hit at least one 3-pointer this year led by Brandi Henton with 25, followed by Erica Martinez with 24 and Lauren Lenhardt with 19.
- Top 3-Point Shooting by Percentage: Erica Martinez leads the team in 3-point percentage at 38.7 percent (24-62) to rank seventh in MW, she is shooting 50 percent (13-26) during league competition to rank third in MW. Lauren Lenhardt hits 29.2 percent (19-65) and ranks 14th in the MW.
FREE THROW SHOOTING
- Free Throw Percentage for all Games: Boise State is third in the MW for free throw shooting on the season converting on 74.2 percent.
- Free Throw Percentage for MW Games: During MW action Boise State is fifth for free throw shooting at 73.1 percent.
- Boise State's Record When: The Broncos have shot a better free throw percentage than opponents in 13 of 19 contests this year, they are 8-5 in those games.
- Free Throw Shooting: The Broncos have hit 75 percent or better nine times with a season high 95.5 percent (21-22) versus San Diego on Nov. 30. Note: The Broncos hit their only free throw attempt at Fresno State (1-1).
- Top Free Throw Performance: Boise State hit 95.5 percent (21-of-22) of its free throws as a team against San Diego (Nov. 30) at the Air Force Classic, that percentage ranks as the sixth-best all-time for a Bronco team.
- Top Free Throw Shooters: Seven Broncos are hitting 70 percent or better from the free-throw line with two above 80 percent led by Diana Lee at 90.5 percent (19-21), followed by Miquelle Askew at 82.4 percent (42-51), Askew ranks second in the MW for free throw percentage on the year.
- Free Throw Streak: Diana Lee saw her streak of 20 consecutive made free throws end against Air Force when she missed two. The streak lasted one year and 33 days dating back to Dec. 17, 2011, at Eastern Washington when she missed the first of two free throws with 41 seconds left in the game.
- Scoring Defense for all Games: Defensively, the Broncos are sixth in the MW for scoring defense giving up 64.8 points per game.
- Scoring Defense for MW Games: Defensively during league contests, the Broncos are fifth giving up 62.7 points per game.
- Field Goal Defense: The Broncos are fifth in the league for field goal defense allowing opponents to shoot 39.2 percent on the year.
- 3-Point Field Goal Defense: On the year, Boise State is sixth in the MW for 3-point defense allowing opponents to shoot 33.7 percent from beyond the arc.
- Miscellaneous Defensive Rankings: For all games Boise State is seventh in the MW for blocks at 2.7 per game, eighth in steals at 7.4 spg and fourth in turnovers forced at 16.9 per game.
- Rebounding Offense: On the glass Boise State is fourth for rebound offense averaging 40.8 per game.
- Rebounding Defense: In rebound defense the Broncos hold opponents to 39.2 rebounds per game to rank fifth in the MW.
- The Broncos' Record When: Boise State has won the battle on the glass nine times in 19 games this season. They are 6-3 when out rebounding the opponent.