Broncos Host Mountain West Leader San Diego State
Mountain West action continues this weekend when Boise State University (11-10, 2-4 MW) host league leader San Diego State University (16-4, 6-0 MW) at 7:00 p.m. (Mountain) Wednesday night in Taco Bell Arena.
San Diego State (16-4, 6-0 MW) at Boise State (11-10, 2-4 MW)
Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012 at 7:00 p.m. (Mountain)
Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
Radio: KTIK (AM 1350)
Internet Audio: BroncoSports.com
Internet Video w/Audio: BroncoSports.com (fee) Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
Game Promotion: National Girls & Women In Sports Day
- Pre-Game Activities at 5:30 p.m. at the Allen Noble Hall of Fame.
- All Girls (8th grade and under) will receive FREE admission if they wear their sports uniform.
- First 500 Fans will receive a Bronco Pom Pom.
- All Bronco Fans (8th grade and under), will receive a Limited Edition “Bronco autograph book”.
Story Lines for San Diego State Game
- Mountain West action continues this weekend when Boise State University (11-10, 2-4 MW) host league leader San Diego State University (16-4, 6-0 MW) at 7:00 p.m. (Mountain) Wednesday night in Taco Bell Arena.
- Following Wednesday's home game the Broncos will hit the road for a Saturday afternoon encounter at the University of New Mexico in Albuquerque, tip-off is scheduled for 2:00 p.m. (Mountain).
- Wednesday's game will mark the conclusion of the first half/round of Mountain West games.
- Boise State is looking to snap a four-game losing streak, while San Diego State has won 12 in a row.
- The Broncos dropped a pair of road conference games last week losing 66-50 at UNLV on Jan. 25 followed by a 84-64 loss at Wyoming on Jan. 28.
- The Aztecs won two home games last week defeating Wyoming 56-45 and Colorado State 66-57.
- Wednesday will be the second meeting all-time between San Diego State and Boise State with the Aztecs winning the first encounter in San Diego on Dec. 20, 2005.
- Boise State is 8-5 at home in Taco Bell Arena this season.
- The Broncos are 252-130 (.660) all-time in Taco Bell Arena and 143-80 (.641) in conference games since it opened in the fall of 1982.
- The Broncos are 73-28 (.723) at home under coach Presnell and 8-5 this season.
Boise State Versus San Diego State
A Quick Look at San Diego State
- Wednesday's encounter will be the second in the all-time series and the first as conference rivals.
- San Diego State won the previous meeting between the Aztecs and Broncos by a 54-51 score in San Diego on Dec. 20, 2005.
The Broncos Offensively
- After opening the year 4-4, the Aztecs have won 12 consecutive games and enter Wednesday at 16-4 overall and undefeated in MW at 6-0.
- San Diego State was picked to place a close second to TCU in the MW preseason poll.
- San Diego State features the second ranked scoring offense in the MW on the year averaging 67.2 points per game and the top ranked defense allowing 54.3 ppg (33rd NCAA).
- Courtney Clements leads the Aztecs averaging 17.1 points per game (1st MW/64th NCAA) on the year and 18.2 ppg (2nd MW) in league contests. Chelsea Hopkins follows adding 10.3 ppg on the year.
- Beth Burns is in her 15th season as head coach of the Aztecs where she is 259-176 to go with a career mark of 340-241.
- Boise State enters the game with the top-ranked scoring offense in the MW on the year averaging 70.1 points per game. In league contests they are sixth at 63.3 ppg.
- The Broncos are second in the Mountain West for field goal percentage at 41.7 percent, third in 3-point percentage at 33.3 percent, while featuring the top percentage from the free-throw line at 74.1 percent.
- Boise State has scored over 80 points seven times this year going 5-2 in those games. They have been over 70 points 10 times (7-3).
- The Broncos are 1-6 when scoring below 60 points.
- In MW games Boise State's numbers have dipped ranking seventh in field goal percentage at 37.7 percent, sixth in 3-point percentage at 31 percent.
- They are shooting a league-best 78.8 percent from the free-throw line in MW games.
Boise State's National Statistical Rankings (as of 1/30/2012)
The Broncos Defensively
- Offensively, the Broncos are ranked in the top 100 nationally for scoring offense (50th), field goal percentage (62nd), 3-point percentage (60th), 3-pointers made per game (55th) and free throw percentage (32nd).
The Broncos on the Glass
- Defensively, the Broncos are seventh in the MW for scoring defense giving up 68 points per game, in league games they are also seventh allowing 67.5 ppg.
- On the year they are eighth in field goal defense allowing teams to shoot 41.2 percent from the floor.
- Boise State is third in the MW for 3-point defense this season holding opponents to 30.4 percent from beyond the arc.
- In MW contests they are seventh in field goal defense allowing teams to shoot 44.2 percent and sixth in 3-point defense as teams have made 35.8 percent.
- The Broncos are third in the MW on the season for rebound defense holding teams to 35.7 boards per game.
- Boise State is fourth for rebound offense averaging 38.9 per game.
- Boise State has out rebounded all but seven teams (eight games) this season and is third in the conference in rebound margin at +3.2.
- The Broncos average 14 offensive boards a game, good for an average of 11.6 points per game on second chance points.