Broncos Take On Lobos Saturday
Third-place Boise State faces fourth-place New Mexico in key MW game at WisePies Arena.
Yaiza Rodriguez has had two games with 10 or more assists in the last four games.
Jan. 29, 2016
Boise State (13-6, 6-2 MW) at New Mexico (11-7, 4-3 MW)
GAME PREVIEWNew Mexico | Saturday, Jan. 30 | Albuquerque, N.M.New Mexico Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (13-6, 6-2 MW) winner of five straight will travel to face the New Mexico Lobos (11-7, 4-3 MW) Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque, tip is at 2 p.m. in WisePies Arena.
- Big Game: This will be the second-consecutive game for the Broncos in which they face the team directly behind them in the MW standings in a third versus fourth encounter with the Lobos ... a win for Boise State would put it two games up on the teams behind the Broncos.
- Next Up: The Broncos will hit the road for Logan, Utah, for a Wednesday night encounter with the Utah State Aggies (9-10, 4-4 MW), tip is scheduled for 7 p.m. in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Lobos possess a 11-7 overall record and 4-3 league mark, fourth place ... they have won two in a row 71-57 over San Jose State at home and a 63-33 win at Air Force Wednesday night.
- Preseason Poll: The Lobos were picked to place second out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- UNM Leaders: On the year Khadijah Shumpert leads UNM averaging 14.1 points (6th MW) and 6.5 rebounds (6th MW) per game, both team highs ... Cherise Beynon adds 12.1 points (14th MW), 5.6 rebounds (14th MW) and team-high 3.5 assists (6th MW) per game.
- UNM as a Team: On the year, the Lobos are averaging 64.2 points (7th MW) per game and allow 58.7 (3rd MW) ... UNM is shooting 38.8 percent (7th MW) from the floor, 29.5 percent (6th MW) from 3-point range and 64.4 percent (8th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the UNM holds opponents to 35.9 percent (2nd MW) from the floor and 29.8 percent (6th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 13-6 overall and 6-2 in MW play, third place ... they have won five straight, most recently the Broncos beat Wyoming 58-49 (Jan. 23) and UNLV 75-56 (Jan. 27) in Boise.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15.9 points (4th MW) and 5.5 rebounds (16th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 13.4 points (9th MW) and team-high 8.9 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 11.4 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew, the reigning MW Player of the Week, adds 13.2 points (10th MW) and 5.5 rebounds (15th MW) per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 70.5 points (2nd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 43.2 percent (1st MW / 49th NCAA) from the floor, 34 percent (1st MW) from the 3-point arc and 76.2 percent (1st MW / 15th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 61.7 points per game (6th MW) on 38.7 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.4 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 12th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Broncos hold a 7-4 advantage overall and a 5-3 lead in the MW regular-season series.
- In Boise: The Boise State leads 4-1 in the series for games played at Boise.
- In Albuquerque: The series is tied 2-2 in games played at UNM.
- Last Year: The two squads met three times last year with Boise State winning twice 86-65 in Boise and 66-60 in the MW Tournament Championship game, while the Lobos won 63-50 in Albuquerque.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 120-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
PAHUKOA SIXTH NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- Boise State has lost six games this season, all by five points or less and by a combined total of 21 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and twice by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
- The Broncos are 2-6 this year in games decided by five points or less.
PAHUKOA AMONG THE BEST FROM FREE-THROW LINE
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 45.5 percent (46-of-101), sixth nationally.
- She has been rank as high as second (Jan. 17) when she was hitting 49.4 percent.
- She is in range to potentially break the school season record of 46.9 percent set by Missy Dallas (38-of-81) during the 1987-88 season.
- The MW record is 50.4 percent (69-of-137) by Julie Larsen of Utah in 2005-06.
BRONCOS ARE 15TH IN NCAA
- Boise State junior Brooke Pahukoa is among the best free throw shooters all-time at Boise State shooting 83.3 percent (140-166) which would be a new school record if her career was over ... current record is .823 by Nadia Begay (2003-07).
- This year she is shooting 82 percent (50-61) third in MW ... in league games she leads the MW at .882 (30-34).
- Last year she had a streak of 30 straight from the line, second longest all-time two short of tying record.
- This year she saw a streak of 23 consecutive free throws dating back to the last eight made at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21) end at Fresno State (Jan. 9).
ASKEW HITS 1,000 POINTS
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked 15th in the nation for free throw percentage at 76.2 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
ASKEW HITS 500 REBOUNDS
- Senior center Miquelle Askew hit the 1,000-point milestone on Dec. 13 at home against Concordia (Ore.) when she scored 23 points to give her 1,002 ... she currently has 1,151, 11th overall.
- Askew is the 17th Bronco to hit 1,000 career points.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Miquelle Askew recorded nine rebounds at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State ... she currently sits at 541, tied for 17th all-time on the career list.
- She is the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
- Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,151 points and 541 rebounds.
- Askew is the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.