Women's Hoops to Face Air Force in Colorado
Boise State looks to extend its four-game win streak when it takes on the Falcons Wednesday night.
Jan. 28, 2014
- Opponent: Air Force Falcons (1-16, 0-7 MW)
- Location: USAFA, Colo. (Clune Arena)
- Date: Jan. 29 (Wednesday)
- Time: 7 p.m. (Mountain)
- Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
- Live Video: TheMWC.com
- The Game: Boise State (10-8, 5-2 MW) will look to extend its four-game win streak when it opens week five of Mountain West Conference play on the road at Air Force (1-16, 0-7 MW) Wednesday night at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Clune Arena.
- Radio Broadcast: Listen live to each game via radio broadcast by KTIK (AM 1350) and at BroncoSports.com as Chris Lewis calls the action.
- Follow the Game: The contest against the Falcons will feature live stats on BroncoSports.com at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/bosu-w-baskbl-sched.html and free live video on the Mountain West website at http://www.themw.com/#!/watch-live.
- Next Up: Boise State will return home for a Saturday afternoon encounter in Taco Bell Arena with the UNLV Lady Rebels (8-11, 5-2 MW) who are tied with the Broncos for third-place in the league standings.
- All-Time Record: Wednesday's game will be the seventh meeting all-time in the series between the Broncos and Falcons with Boise State holding a 5-1 advantage, the Broncos lead 3-1 in MW encounters.
- Last Year: The two schools split the regular season series with the home team winning each time, Boise State won 66-65 in Boise followed by a 77-72 Air Force victory in Colorado.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason Poll: Boise State was picked to place eighth in the 2014 conference race in the combined coaches and media preseason poll, while Air Force was selected 11th.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won four straight games and six of their last eight. Most recently they defeated New Mexico 74-60 in Boise (Jan. 22) and San Jose State 90-69 (Jan. 25) on the road.
- Boise State's Record: The Broncos are 10-8 on the year and 5-2 in conference action ... they are tied with UNLV for third place in the league standings.
- Recently for Air Force: The Falcons have struggled this year losing their lone game last week at Wyoming 82-47.
- Air Force's Record: The academy is 1-16 overall and 0-7 in MW play ... the Falcons are in 11th place in the MW standings.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 8-2 overall and 3-0 during MW action in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 269-142 (.655 pct.) all-time in the arena.
- Boise State on the Road: After dropping their first six road games of the season the Broncos are now on a two-game win streak and are 2-6 on the road.
- Air Force at Home: The Falcons are 1-6 at home in Clune Arena this year.
- Leading the Broncos: Deanna Weaver leads the Broncos in scoring averaging 14.1 points per game, followed by Miquelle Askew at 13.6 ppg (7th MW) and Lexie Der at 11.5 ppg (22nd MW). Der leads the team on the glass at 6.6 rebounds per game (9th MW), Askew is second at 6.2 rpg (14th MW) with Weaver adding 6.1 rpg.
- Leading the Falcons: Camille Thompson leads the Falcons in scoring at 10.4 points per game (27th MW) followed by Jimi Blagowsky at 10.2 ppg (28th MW). Madeleine Philpot leads the team in rebounding at 4.4 boards per game. .
- Boise State as a Team: On the year Boise State is averaging 70.9 points (6th MW) and 36.9 rebounds (9th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 70.8 points (7th MW) and 39.7 boards (6th MW) per game ... in league they are scoring 69.4 ppg (6th MW) and rebounding 35.7 rpg (10th MW), while allowing 64.6 ppg (5th MW) and 38.3 rpg (6th MW).
- Air Force as a Team: This season the Falcons average 54.4 points per game (11th MW) and 32.9 rebounds (11th MW) per game, while allowing 75.8 points (10th MW) and 42.5 rebounds per game (9th MW). In conference action they are averaging 55.9 ppg (11th MW) and 34.4 rpg (10th MW), defensively they allow 79.6 ppg (10th MW) and 45.6 rpg (10th MW).
- The Coaches: Andrea Williams is in her fourth season at Air Force where she is 20-88, her career mark is 32-123 in six years. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 146-121 and 542-248 in his 27th season all-time.
- Mixing it Up, Leading Scorers: Boise State has had eight different players lead the team in scoring during the first 15 games. Miquelle Askew has led six times, while Deanna Weaver, Lexie Der and Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego have led three times each, Brooke Pahukoa twice, with Keiahnna Engel, Brandi Henton and Kayla Reinhart having each led once.
- Balanced Attack: Boise State has had a relatively balanced attack this year with five players averaging between 14.1 and 6.9 points per game. After eight games Deanna Weaver is averaging 14.1 points per game, while Miquelle Askew is at 13.6 ppg, followed by Lexie Der at 11.5 ppg and Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego at 10.1 ppg.
- Scoring Points: The Broncos are running a fast paced scoring offense this year which has them averaging 70.9 points per game to rank sixth in the Mountain West.
- Field Goal Attempts: The Broncos have taken more shots than their opponents in 14 of 18 games to date. Portland (Dec. 8) was the first team to take more shots than the Broncos, New Mexico (Jan. 22) was the last to do it and the only MW team to do so.
- Field Goal Shooting: The Broncos have shot better than their opponents percentage wise only five times this year most recently in a 73-64 win over San Diego State (Jan. 8), a 74-60 win over New Mexico (Jan. 22) and a 90-69 victory at San Jose State (Jan. 25). They average nearly eight more attempts a game than their opponents.
- Charity Stripe: Boise State ranks fourth in the MW and 63rd nationally in free throw percentage hitting 73.1 percent.
- Hitting 70 Percent from the Stripe: The Broncos have shot over 70 percent from the stripe in 11 of 18 games to date. Interestingly enough they are only 5-6 in those contest and tend to win more (5-2) percentage wise when shooting below 70 percent. In fact, they actually lost the top two games when they hit a season-high 88.6 percent versus Southern Utah (Nov. 8) and 85.7 percent at Wyoming. Boise State won the two games when it shot season-lows of 50 percent against Utah Valley (Dec. 5) and 53.3 percent versus New Mexico (Jan. 22).
- Turnovers: Boise State has had fewer or equal turnovers than the opponent in 15 of 18 contests and averages 19 points per game off turnovers, nearly five more than the opponents. The Broncos are second in the MW in turnover margin at +2.9 to rank 56th nationally.
- Five Minute Mark: In Boise State's first 18 contests the team leading with five minutes left in the game has won 17 times. Only once has a team rallied to win, that was in the Bronco's victory over Idaho State (Nov. 29).
- 3-Point Shooting: Boise State is 5-1 win taking fewer 3-point attempts than the opponent and 5-7 when taking more.
- Broncos from Downtown: Boise State entered the league season as the 10th-ranked team in the MW for 3-point percentage at 29.5 percent. In league play they are ranked second hitting 40.5 percent.
- From the Arc During Streak: In Boise State's current four-game win streak the Broncos have shot 44.4 percent from beyond the arc and are averaging 10 makes per game. Last week versus New Mexico and San Jose State they went a combined 25-of-49 in 3-point shooting for 51 percent, eight different players hit from the arc.
- Team Record Performance: The Broncos tied the school record for made 3-pointers in a game at San Jose State (Jan. 25) going 15-of-30 from beyond the arc.
- Below 70: The key for Boise State is keeping the opponent below 70 points, the Broncos are 9-1 this season when they do and 1-7 when they do not.