Broncos Host UNLV Wednesday
Boise State faces a key test when the Lady Rebels come to town in No. 3 vs. No. 4 battle.
Shalen Shaw has double-doubles in seven of the last eight games.
Jan. 26, 2016
UNLV (11-7, 4-3 MW) at Boise State (12-6, 5-2 MW)
- Facts: Wednesday, Jan. 27 | 7 p.m. (Mountain) | Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Parking: Free parking is available in the Albertsons Stadium Parking Lots
- Admission: Adults: $6 | Senior Citizens (62 YOA): $4 | Youth: $4 | Boise State Students: Free with student ID card
- Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats | Twitter
GAME PREVIEWUNLV | Wednesday, Jan. 27 | Boise, IdahoUNLV Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (12-6, 5-2 MW) winner of four straight will host the UNLV Lady Rebels (11-7, 4-3 MW) Wednesday night at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Next Up: The Broncos travel to face the New Mexico Lobos (10-7, 3-3 MW) Saturday afternoon in Albuquerque, tip is at 2 p.m. in WisePies Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Lady Rebels bring an 11-7 overall record and a 4-3 MW mark, good for fourth place, to Boise ... UNLV has won three straight 60-56 at Air Force, followed by home wins 46-38 over Utah State and most recently 65-59 over Nevada last Saturday.
- Preseason Poll: The Lady Rebels were picked to place fifth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- UNLV Leaders: On the year Dakota Gonzalez leads UNLV averaging 13.2 points per game ... Brooke Johnson is close behind at 12.7 ppg.
- UNLV as a Team: On the year, the Lady Rebels are averaging 62 points (8th MW) per game and allow 57.1 (2nd MW) ... UNLV is shooting 35.2 percent (10th MW) from the floor, 28.8 percent (8th MW) from 3-point range and 62.3 percent (9th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the UNLV holds opponents to 36.1 percent (2nd MW) from the floor and 30.2 percent (5th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 12-6 overall and 5-2 in MW play, third place ... they have won four straight, 66-58 at home over Nevada followed by road wins at San Diego State 75-45 and 78-75 at San Jose State, most recently the Broncos beat Wyoming 58-49 in Boise (Jan. 23).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15.6 points (4th MW) and 5.6 rebounds (16th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 13.3 points (8th MW) and team-high 9.0 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 12 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew, the reigning MW Player of the Week, adds 13.1 points (10th MW) and 5.7 rebounds (14th MW) per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 70.3 points (2nd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 43 percent (2nd MW / 55th NCAA) from the floor, 33.2 percent (1st MW) from the 3-point arc and 76 percent (1st MW / 16th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 62.1 points per game (5th MW) on 38.8 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.6 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 12th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Broncos hold a slim edge 6-5 overall, while UNLV leads the MW regular-season series 5-3.
- Series Note: This has been a strange series as the road teams have fared better with each team leading the series on the opponent’s floor.
- In Boise: The UNLV leads 3-1 in the series for games played at Boise.
- In Las Vegas: The Broncos lead 5-3 for games played in Las Vegas.
- Last Year: The two squads met three times last year with Boise State winning twice in Las Vegas 78-67 and 64-46 (MW Tournament quarterfinals), while the Lady Rebels won 74-60 in Boise.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 119-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
PAHUKOA FOURTH NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- Boise State has lost six games this season, all by five points or less and by a combined total of 21 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and twice by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
- The Broncos are 2-6 this year in games decided by five points or less.
BRONCOS ARE 16TH IN NCAA
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 46.4 percent (45-of-97), fourth nationally.
- She has been rank as high as second (Jan. 17) when she was hitting 49.4 percent.
- She is on pace to potentially break the school season record of 46.9 percent set by Missy Dallas (38-of-81) during the 1987-88 season.
- The MW record is 50.4 percent (69-of-137) by Julie Larsen of Utah in 2005-06.
PAHUKOA LEADS THE BRONCOS
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked 16th in the nation for free throw percentage at 76 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
SHAW, QUEEN OF THE GLASS
- Junior guard Brooke Pahukoa opened the season a little slow offensively scoring a combined total of nine points in the first two contests of the season.
- She has found her touch since recording double-figure points in 12 of 15 contests since ... she missed the Washington State game because of illness.
- On the year she averages a team-high 15.6 points (4th MW) per game on the season and 15.3 ppg in league games (t-5th MW).
SHAW SEEING DOUBLE
- Boise State sophomore Shalen Shaw has been a force on the boards this year especially in conference play.
- She leads the team averaging 9.0 per game (2nd MW / 69th NCAA) and 12.0 rpg (1st MW) during league competition.
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in 15 games to date.
- She has an active streak of eight-consecutive games with double-digit rebounds.
- Has led or tied for the team high in rebounds 13 times this year.
- Her eight games in double-digit rebounds are the second-most in the MW.
- Her seven conference games with double figure boards are the most by any player in the league.
- Shaw has 97 total boards during her active eight game streak with 10+ rebounds.
RODRIGUEZ MOVES UP CAREER ASSIST CHART
- Shalen Shaw has recorded double-doubles in seven of the last eight games.
- Seven double-doubles ranks second in the MW on the year.
- The last six double-doubles have come in conference play which leads the league.
HERMIDA STEPPING IT UP
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego started the year ranked 11th for career assists with 252, she has since dished out 91 this season to move into third with 343.
- Marta Hermida has started every game averaging 29.7 minutes and has scored seven or more points in 10 contests with five in double-digit points including a high of 16 against Utah State (Jan. 6) ... she also has three or more assists in 11 games with a season-high eight versus Concordia (Dec. 13).