Broncos Host Wyoming Saturday
Boise State will face the Wyoming Cowgirls in MW action at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Miquelle Askew is coming off a record setting 39 points on Wednesday.
Jan. 22, 2016
Wyoming (10-7, 3-4 MW) at Boise State (11-6, 4-2 MW)
- Facts: Saturday, Jan. 23 | 2 p.m. (Mountain) | Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Parking: Free parking is available in the Albertsons Stadium Parking Lots
- Admission: Adults: $6 | Senior Citizens (62 YOA): $4 | Youth: $4 | Boise State Students: Free with student ID card
- Promotion: Face painting before game and postgame autographs with the team.
- Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats | Twitter
GAME PREVIEWWyoming | Saturday, Jan. 23 | Boise, IdahoWyoming Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (11-6, 4-2 MW) brings its three-game win streak home on Saturday when the Broncos host the Wyoming Cowgirls (10-7, 3-4 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Promotion: Postgame autographs with the team.
- Next Up: The Broncos will host the UNLV Lady Rebels (10-7, 3-3 MW) next Wednesday (Jan. 27) at 7 p.m.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Cowgirls bring a 10-7 overall record and a 3-4 MW mark, tied for sixth, to Boise ... Wyoming has split its last two games defeating New Mexico 66-48 in Laramie, before falling Wednesday night 68-65 at Nevada.
- Preseason Poll: The Cowgirls were picked to place seventh out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- Wyoming Leaders: On the year Marquelle Dent, the MW Preseason Player of the Year, leads averaging 18.2 points (3rd MW) and 5.6 assists (1st MW) per game ... Marta Gomez adds 11.6 points (15th MW) per game.
- Wyoming as a Team: On the year, the Cowgirls are averaging 66.9 points (5th MW) per game and allow 62.4 (5th MW) ... Wyoming is shooting 40.9 percent (3rd MW) from the floor, 30.8 percent (3rd MW) from 3-point range and 73.8 percent (2nd MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the UW holds opponents to 39.4 percent (7th MW) from the floor and 27.9 percent (2nd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 11-6 overall and 4-2 in MW play ... they have won three straight, 66-58 at home over Nevada followed by road wins at San Diego State 75-45 and most recently Wednesday night 78-75 at San Jose State.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15.9 points (4th MW) and 5.6 rebounds (t-16th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 13.2 points (8th MW) per game and is coming off a school record 39 points at San Jose State, she also averages 5.8 rebounds (12th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.9 points (10th MW) and team-high 8.9 rebounds (2nd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 12.2 rebounds per game.
- As a Team: Boise State averages 71 points (2nd MW) per game on the year and is shooting 43.4 percent (1st MW / 49th NCAA) from the floor, 33.4 percent (1st MW / 84th NCAA) from the 3-point arc and 76.8 percent (1st MW / 10th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 62.8 points per game (6th MW) on 38.7 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 29 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
RECORD NIGHT FOR ASKEW
- Record: This is the 16th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Cowgirls lead 8-7 overall and 4-3 in MW league play.
- In Boise: The Broncos are 6-1 in the series for games played at Boise.
- Last Year: The two squads met once in 2015 with Wyoming winning for the first time ever in Boise 64-59.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 118-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- Miquelle Askew set the Boise State scoring record for a single game with 39 in the Broncos’ road win at San Jose State (Jan. 20).
- That beat the previous record of 37 co-held by Lidiya Varbanova (1990-94) and Lauren Lenhardt (2009-13).
- It is third all-time in the MW for points in a conference game ... the record is 45, second is 40.
- It is currently tied for 11th-most in the NCAA this season (as of Jan. 21).
- Askew recorded her second double-double of the season in the game tying her career-high for rebounds with 13.
- The 16 field goals she hit in setting the scoring record is also a school record for makes (16-of-22) in a game.
- The 39 points moved her into 11th place all-time on the Boise State career scoring list with 1,125.
- Miquelle Askew and Shalen Shaw were a lethal combination in the Broncos’ win at San Jose State (Jan. 20) as they combined for 60 of the teams’ 78 points (77 percent) and 25 of the 43 rebounds (58 percent).
- Boise State trailed by 13 midway through the second quarter before the Broncos rallied for a 78-75 win, primarily because of Askew and Shaw.
PAHUKOA FOURTH NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- Boise State has lost six games this season, all by five points or less and by a combined total of 21 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and twice by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
- The Broncos are 2-6 this year in games decided by five points or less.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 48.3 percent (43-of-89), fourth nationally.
- She has been rank as high as second (Jan. 17) when she was hitting 49.4 percent.
- She is on pace to break the school record of 46.9 percent set by Missy Dallas (38-of-81) during the 1987-88 season.
- The MW record is 50.4 percent (69-of-137) by Julie Larsen of Utah in 2005-06.
ASKEW HITS 1,000 POINTS
- Presnell Sets Record: Head coach Gordy Presnell in his 11th season at Boise State set the school record for most wins by a coach at Portland on Dec. 6 with his 180th victory ... he is currently 187-144.
- Career Record: Coach Presnell is currently 583-271 (.683) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
- National Standing: Coach Presnell entered 2015-16 as the 32nd winningest active coach in the NCAA (all divisions) with 572 wins (now 583), 19th among active NCAA Division I coaches ... he was also ranked 33rd for best win percentage among current division I coaches at .684.
- Most Conference Wins: Coach Presnell set the program record for wins in conference games last year when the Broncos defeated Colorado State (Dec. 31, 2014) giving him 74 ... the record now stands at 88.
- Most Games Coached: Coach Presnell set the school record for games coached at Boise State when the Broncos tipped at San Diego State (Feb. 7, 2015) in his 302 game ... the record is now at 331.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Senior center Miquelle Askew hit the 1,000-point milestone on Dec. 13 at home against Concordia (Ore.) when she scored 23 points to give her 1,002 ... she currently has 1,125, 11th overall.
- Askew is the 17th Bronco to hit 1,000 career points.
ASKEW HITS 500 REBOUNDS
- Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,125 points and 535 rebounds.
- Askew is the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
PAHUKOA AMONG THE BEST FROM FREE-THROW LINE
- Miquelle Askew recorded nine rebounds at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State ... she currently sits at 535, 18th all-time on the career list.
- She is the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
BRONCOS ARE 10TH IN NCAA
- Boise State junior Brooke Pahukoa is among the best free throw shooters all-time at Boise State shooting 83.9 percent (130-155) which would be a new school record if her career was over ... current record is .823 by Nadia Begay (2003-07).
- Last year she had a streak of 30 straight from the line, second longest all-time two short of tying record.
- This year she saw a streak of 23 consecutive free throws dating back to the last eight made at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21) end at Fresno State (Jan. 9).
- This year she is shooting 80 percent (40-of-50) fourth in MW.
30 POINT GAMES
SHAW, QUEEN OF THE GLASS
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked 10th in the nation for free throw percentage at 76.8 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
SHAW SEEING DOUBLE
- Boise State sophomore Shalen Shaw has been a force on the boards this year especially in conference play.
- She leads the team averaging 8.9 per game (2nd MW) and 12.2 rpg (1st MW) during league competition.
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in 14 games to date.
- She has an active streak of seven consecutive games in double-digit rebounds.
- Has led or tied for the team high in rebounds 12 times this year.
- Her seven games in double digit rebounds ties for second-most in the MW.
- Her six conference games with double figure boards are the most by any player in the league.
- Shaw has 86 total boards during her active seven game streak with 10+ rebounds.
RODRIGUEZ MOVES UP CAREER ASSIST CHART
- Shalen Shaw has recorded double-doubles in six of the last seven games.
- Six double-doubles ranks second in the MW on the year.
- The last five double-doubles have come in conference play which leads the league.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego started the year ranked 11th for career assists with 252, she has since dished out 87 this season to move into third with 339.