Bronco Women Travel to Fresno State in MW Action
Boise State (9-7, 2-1 MW) continues Mountain West play this Wednesday, Jan. 23, at Fresno State (11-6, 3-1 MW) at 8 p.m. (Mountain) in the Save Mart Center at Fresno, Calif.
Boise State (9-7, 2-1 MW) at Fresno State (11-6, 3-1 MW)
Wednesday, Jan. 23, 2013, at 8 p.m. (Mountain)
Fresno, Calif. (Save Mart Center)
Live Audio (KTIK Radio) WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State (9-7, 2-1 MW) continues Mountain West play this Wednesday, Jan. 23, when the Broncos renew their rivalry with old WAC foe Fresno State (11-6, 3-1 MW) at 8 p.m. (Mountain) in the Save Mart Center at Fresno, Calif.
- Following Wednesday's game the Broncos will host Nevada (6-10, 1-2 MW) at 2 p.m. Saturday in Taco Bell Arena. This is the renewal of Boise State's oldest rivalry among MW schools that stretches five different conferences and 44 games.
- All-Time Record: Wednesday's game will be the 27th meeting all-time in the series between the two programs with Fresno State holding a 17-9 advantage.
- Last Year: These two teams did not play last year and have not met since they were both in the Western Athletic Conference in 2010-11, the Bulldogs have won six straight contests.
QUICK LOOK AT BOISE STATE
QUICK LOOK AT FRESNO STATE
- The Record: The Broncos enter the game at 9-7 overall and 2-1 in MW play. They are 6-3 at home, 2-3 on the opponents' floor and 1-1 on neutral courts.
- The Broncos at Home: The Broncos are 6-3 in home games this year in Taco Bell Arena. They finished last year 10-7 overall at home, their all-time mark is now 260-135 (.658 pct.) since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- The Broncos on the Road: Boise State is 3-4 away (0-1 MW) from Boise this year. Its last road game was a tough 58-53 loss at New Mexico on Jan. 16 in Albuquerque.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won three of their last four contests. They defeated Air Force 66-65 on Jan. 19 at home, preceded by a 58-53 loss at New Mexico. Prior to that they had recorded two home victories over the College of Idaho 61-47 on Jan. 2, followed by a 70-68 thriller against Wyoming on Jan. 9 in the MW opener.
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State is led by senior forward Lauren Lenhardt ranked fifth in the MW averaging 15.4 points and 7.3 rebounds (4th MW) per game on the year. She was named MW Co-Player of the Week for the third time this season on Jan. 14. Junior guard Brandi Henton adds 9.0 ppg.
- As a Team: The Broncos average 64.1 points per game to rank fifth in the league, while allowing 65.4 ppg (6th MW), they rank fourth in rebound offense averaging 41.0 rpg.
- The Coach: Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 134-101 (.570 pct.), 530-228 (.699 pct.) in 25+ seasons all-time. Presnell is 3-10 all-time against Fresno State.
- Fresno State's Record: The Bulldogs enter the game tied for first in the MW at 3-1 and are 11-6 overall. They are undefeated at home going 8-0, 4-4 on the opponents' home courts and 1-0 on neutral floors. In MW play they are 1-0 at home and 2-1 on the road.
- Recently for the Bulldogs: Fresno State knocked off San Diego State on the road in the MW opener Jan. 9. Since then they have gone 2-1 with a home win over New Mexico (69-65), a road loss at Wyoming (78-71) and most recently a road victory at Nevada (74-56).
- Leading the Bulldogs: Ki-Ki Moore, a Washington State transfer, leads the Bulldogs in both scoring and rebounding at 16.5 points (3rd MW) and 6.2 rebounds (10th MW). Two other Bulldogs average double figure points led by Rosie Moult at 11.8 ppg (15th MW) followed by Taylor Thompson at 11.5 ppg.
- As a Team: On the year, Fresno State features the second-best scoring offense in the MW averaging 69.2 points per game, while allowing 61.8 ppg (5th MW). The Bulldogs are eighth in rebounding at 36.6 per game and fourth in rebound defense holding opponents to 38.7 boards per game.
- The Coach: Raegan Pebley is in her first year at Fresno State after spending the previous nine at Utah State. She is 11-6 (.647 pct.) at Fresno State and has a career mark of 121-161 (.429 pct.) in 10 seasons. Pebley is 6-9 all-time versus Boise State.
MOUNTAIN WEST PRESEASON POLL
BRONCOS Vs. MOUNTAIN WEST
- The Mountain West Preseason Poll is a combined coaches and media poll. Boise State was picked to place seventh, while Fresno State was projected to challenge for the MW title picked second out of nine teams in the 2013 league race.
- Versus MW All-time: Boise State is 58-44 (56.9 pct.) all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West.
- All-Time in MW Games: The Broncos are 7-10 all-time in MW games after going 5-9 last year in their first season as members of the MW. However, they are now 7-8 against the current membership in MW games entering the year since the departure of TCU.
- All-Time in Home Games: The Broncos are 5-4 all-time in home MW games.
- All-Time in Road Games: The Broncos are 2-6 all-time in road MW games.
- Previous Rivalries: Boise State has been a conference rival of Nevada and Fresno State previously as members of the Western Athletic Conference 2001-2011.
- A Rivalry That Spans Five Conferences: Boise State and Nevada have now been conference rivals in five different conferences since the late 1980's. It began with the old Mountain West Athletic Conference (1987-1988), the Big Sky Conference (1988-1992), the Big West Conference (1996-2000), Western Athletic Conference from 2001-2011, followed by the Mountain West in 2012-13.