Broncos on the Road at San Jose State
Boise State hits the road to take on the Spartans' seventh-ranked scoring offense in the nation.
Jan. 20, 2015
- Boise State (12-4, 4-1 MW) at San Jose State (8-9, 2-4 MW)
- Jan. 21, 2015 at 8 p.m. (Mountain Time)
- San Jose, Calif. (Events Center)
- 24th Meeting in Series
- Game: Boise State (12-4, 4-1 MW) hits the road Wednesday night to face the San Jose State Spartans (8-9, 2-4 MW) at 8 p.m. (Mountain) in the SJSU Events Center at San Jose, Calif.
- Next Up: The Broncos will host the U.S. Air Force Academy (1-16, 0-6 MW) at 2 p.m. on Saturday in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason MW Poll: The preseason coaches/media poll selected the Broncos second, while San Jose State was projected 10th of 11 teams.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 12-4 overall and 4-1 in MW play, good for third place, one game behind Fresno State in first and a half game behind Colorado State.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have gone 4-1 in league play ... last week they swept a pair of contests defeating UNLV 78-67 (Jan. 14) in Las Vegas before returning home to down New Mexico (Jan. 17) 86-65.
- San Jose State’s Record: The Spartans enter the game at 8-9 on the year and 2-4 in league play which places them in eighth place.
- Recently for SJSU: The Spartans have lost three straight losing at home to UNLV (Jan. 10) 72-68 in overtime, followed by a pair of road defeats at Fresno State (Jan. 14) 58-46 and Colorado State (Jan. 17) 77-59 ... when they face the Broncos on Wednesday it will be the third straight game against the top-three teams in the league.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 8-1 at home in 2014-15 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 280-145 (.659 pct.) all-time in facility.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 4-3 on the road in 2014-15.
- San Jose State at Home: The Spartans are hard to beat at home this season going 6-1 at home with the only loss being in overtime to UNLV.
- SJSU on the Road: San Jose State has struggled on the road this year going 2-8.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 14.1 points (MW 9th) and second-best 5.8 rebounds per game, she also leads the MW in 3-point percentage at .455 (NCAA 12th) ... Miquelle Askew is next in scoring at 10.1 ppg, Keiahnna Engel adds 8.4 ppg ... Camille Redmon leads on the glass at 6.4 rebounds per game (MW 12th) and in blocks at 2.2 per game (MW 3rd/NCAA 47th).
- Spartan Leaders: Ta’Rae Cunningan leads SJSU in scoring at 15.7 points per game (MW 5th) ... Rebecca Woodberry follows at 11.7 ppg (MW 12th) and a team-high 7.9 rebounds per game (MW 3rd).
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 72.4 points (MW 2nd/NCAA 59th) and 40.8 rebounds (MW 4th) per game ... Defensively, the Broncos are second in the league allowing 59.4 points (NCAA 81st) and 34.3 rebounds (MW 1st) per game ... the Broncos out score and out rebound opponents by +12.9 and +6.4, respectively.
- San Jose State as a Team: Offensively, the Spartans have one of the most prolific scoring attacks in the nation this year averaging a MW-best 81.2 points per game (NCAA 7th) and average 43.6 rebounds per game (MW 2nd) ... Defensively, they are allowing 80.2 ppg (MW 11th) and 51.5 rpg (MW 11th) ... SJSU has scored 80-plus points 11 times and 100 or more three times.
- The Coaches: Jamie Craighead, a former assistant to Gordy Presnell at Seattle Pacific, is now in her second season as head coach at San Jose State where she is 19-28, her career mark is 70-98 in six years. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 166-131 and 562-258 in his 28th season all-time.
- Presnell vs Former Assistants: Coach Presnell is currently 2-0 thi syear against former assistant coaches with Craighead being the third he will face ... the first two were Ben Finkbeiner an assistant at Utah State and Anthony Turner an assistant at New Mexico.
- All-Time Record: This is the 24th meeting all-time between the Spartans and Broncos with Boise State leading 13-10.
- Former WAC Rivals: This series goes back to the Western Athletic Conference (2001-2011) when both schools were members of the WAC ... SJSU dominated the series early on winning the first seven WAC meetings before coach Presnell arrived at Boise State and turned things around ... Boise State had tied the WAC series up at 10-10 when the Broncos left for the MW for the 2011-12 campaign.
- Current Streak: Boise State won the only meeting between the schools last year 90-69 in San Jose to extend the Bronco win streak to 10 straight over the Spartans.
- MW Series: Boise State leads the conference series 1-0 since the Spartans joined the league for the 2013-14 campaign.
- Series in San Jose: The Spartans hold a one-game edge 6-5 over the Broncos in games played at San Jose.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 104-81 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 25-26 in MW contests.
The Last Meeting
|San Jose State||69
January 25, 2014
San Jose, Calif.
Boise State Dominating at San Jose State
Boise State freshmen Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego and Brooke Pahukoa combined for 32 points to lead Boise State to a dominating 90-69 road victory in a Mountain West Conference women's basketball game at San Jose State on Saturday.