Broncos Play at San Jose State Wednesday
Boise State travels to face high scoring San Jose State in a MW contest.
Jan. 19, 2016
Boise State (10-6, 3-2 MW) at San Jose State (6-11, 4-2 MW)
GAME PREVIEWSan Jose State | Wednesday, Jan. 20 | San Jose, Calif.San Jose State Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (10-6, 3-2 MW) is on the road Wednesday night at San Jose State (6-11, 4-2 MW) in another big Mountain West game for the Broncos, tip is 8 p.m. (Mountain) tip in SJSU’s Events Center ... the game will feature the top two offenses in the MW.
- Next Up: Boise State returns home Saturday afternoon to host the Wyoming Cowgirls (10-6, 3-3 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Spartans enter the contest at 6-11 overall and 4-2 in MW play, good for third ... SJSU is coming off a home loss on Saturday to Fresno State 59-54.
- Preseason Poll: The Spartans were picked to place eighth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- SJSU Leaders: On the year Dezz Ramos leads the Spartans in scoring at 19.5 points per game (2nd MW) ... Nyre Harris is next at 9.9 points and 5.5 rebounds per game.
- San Jose State as a Team: SJSU is averaging a MW best 75.1 points per game and allows a league worse 77.9 ... the Spartans are shooting 39.8 percent (5th MW) from the floor, 32.5 percent (2nd MW) from 3-point range and 69.1 percent (4th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the SJSU holds opponents to 41.8 percent (8th MW) from the floor and 34.5 percent (10th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the game at 10-6 overall and 3-2 in MW play ... they have won two straight and are coming off a 30-point 75-45 road win at San Diego State last Saturday ... preceded by a eight point 66-58 home win over Nevada (Jan. 13).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 16.4 points (4th MW) and 5.5 rebounds (18th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.4 points (11th MW) and team-high 8.7 rebounds (3rd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 12.2 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 11.6 points (15th MW) per game and 5.4 rebounds (20th MW).
- As a Team: Boise State averages 70.6 points (2nd MW) per game and is shooting 43.1 percent (1st MW / 55th NCAA) from the floor, 34.1 percent (1st MW / 63rd NCAA) from the 3-point arc and 77.6 percent (1st MW / 4th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 62.1 points per game (t-4th MW) on 38.7 percent (5th MW) shooting from the floor and 29.3 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 27th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Broncos lead 15-11 overall and 2-1 in MW league play.
- Former League: These two were former rivals for 10 years in the Western Athletic Conference before both joined the MW at separate times since 2011.
- In San Jose: The Spartans hold a 7-5 series advantage in games played at San Jose.
- Last Year: The two squads split the regular season series last year with the home team winning both, SJSU 88-78 in San Jose and Boise State 91-76 in Boise ... the Broncos also defeated the Spartans in the MW Tournament semifinals at Las Vegas 76-67.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 117-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
PAHUKOA SECOND NATIONALLY FROM THE ARC
- Boise State has lost six games this season, all by five points or less and by a combined total of 21 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and twice by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 49.4 percent, second nationally.
PAHUKOA AMONG THE BEST FROM FREE-THROW LINE
- The Milestone: Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,086 points and 522 rebounds.
- The Club: Askew is the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
BRONCOS ARE FOURTH IN NCAA
- Boise State junior Brooke Pahukoa is among the best free throw shooters all-time at Boise State shooting 84.3 percent (129-153) which would be a new school record if her career was over ... current record is .823 by Nadia Begay (2003-07).
- Last year she had a streak of 30 straight from the line, second longest all-time two short of tying record.
- This year she saw a streak of 23 consecutive free throws dating back to the last eight made at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21) end at Fresno State (Jan. 9).
- This year she is shooting 81.3 percent fourth in MW.
PAHUKOA LEADS THE BRONCOS
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked fourth in the nation for free throw percentage at 77.6 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
SHAW ON THE GLASS
- Junior guard Brooke Pahukoa opened the season a little slow offensively scoring a combined total of nine points in the first two contests of the season.
- She has found her touch since recording double-figure points in 11 of 13 contests since to average 18.2 points per game, she missed the Washington State game because of illness.
- On the year she averages a team-high 16.4 points (4th MW) per game on the season and 17.4 ppg in league games (4th MW).
SHAW SEEING DOUBLE
- Boise State sophomore Shalen Shaw has been a force on the boards this year leading the team averaging 8.7 per game (3rd MW) and 12.2 rpg (1st MW) during league competition.
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in 13 games to date.
- She has an active streak of six consecutive games in double-digit rebounds.
- Has led or tied for the team high in rebounds 12 times this year.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded double-doubles in five of the last six games.
- Five double-doubles ranks second in the MW on the year.
- The last four double-doubles have come in conference play which leads the league.
RODRIGUEZ MOVES UP CAREER ASSIST CHART
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego recorded her first career double-double in the Broncos win at San Diego State (Jan. 16) on 14 points and a career-tying 10 assists.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego started the year ranked 11th for career assists with 252, she has since dished out 82 this season to move into third with 334.