Broncos Look for Road Break Through at Utah State Saturday Night
Boise State renews rivalry with Aggies in MW play.
Jan. 17, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State game notes
- Opponent: Utah State
- Location: Logan, Utah (Dee Glen Smith Spectrum)
- Date: Jan. 18 (Saturday)
- Time: 7 p.m. (Mountain)
- Live Stats: BroncoSports.com
- Live Video: TheMWC.com
The Last Meeting
December 22, 2011
- The Game: Boise State (7-8, 2-2 MW) closes the third week of conference play on the road when the Broncos travel to Logan, Utah, to take on the Utah State Aggies (8-7, 2-2 MW) at 7 p.m. (Mountain) Saturday night in the Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. Boise State is looking for a break through on the road after six straight losses away from Boise this year.
- Radio Broadcast: Listen live to each game via radio broadcast by KTIK (AM 1350) and at BroncoSports.com as Chris Lewis calls the action.
- Follow the Game: The contest at Utah State will feature live stats on BroncoSports.com at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/bosu-w-baskbl-sched.html and free live video at TheMWC.com http://www.themw.com/#!/watch-live.
- Next Up: Boise State will host New Mexico (7-8, 2-2 MW) at 7 p.m. next Wednesday night in Taco Bell Arena.
- All-Time Record: Saturday’s game will be the 25th meeting all-time in the series between the Broncos and Aggies with Boise State holding a 16-8 advantage, it will be the first Mountain West encounter.
- Last Year: Boise State and Utah State have not met since the 2011-12 season when the Aggies swept the Broncos to extend their win streak over the Broncos to four games.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason Poll: Boise State was picked to place eighth while Utah State was projected to finish sixth in the 2014 conference race by the combined coaches and media preseason poll.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have gone 2-2 in conference play falling 72-63 in the MW opener at Fresno State (Jan. 4), followed by a 73-64 home win over San Diego State, a hard fought 55-48 loss at Wyoming, and a 67-64 victory over Nevada on Wednesday in Boise.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are 7-8 on the year and 2-2 in conference action ... they are in a four-way tie for fifth place in the league standings, Utah State is one of the four teams.
- Recently for Utah State: The Aggies have lost two straight, 76-72 at home to Nevada and most recently a 88-78 road loss at Colorado State on Wednesday.
- Utah State’s Record: The Aggies are 8-7 overall and 2-2 in MW play, tied with Boise State, New Mexico and San Diego State for fifth.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 7-2 overall and 2-0 during MW action in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 268-142 (.654 pct.) all-time in the arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have lost all six road contests this season.
- Utah State at Home: USU is 5-2 at home this year and 1-1 in conference games.
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State is being led by sophomore center Miquelle Askew at 13.9 points per game (6th MW) and team-second-best 6.2 rebounds per game (14th MW), followed by redshirt-sophomore forward Lexie Der at 10.6 points per game and team-best 6.7 rebounds per game (9th MW). After five games Deanna Weaver is averaging 16.0 ppg and 6.8 rpg, in league games Weaver is second in the MW in scoring at 17.0 ppg.
- Leading the Aggies: Utah State features the top scorer in the MW in Jennifer Schlott who averages 23.3 points per game, 4.1 rebounds and league-best 6.5 assists. Makenlee Williams follows at 18.0 ppg, while Franny Vaaulu adds 11.3 ppg.
- Boise State as a Team: On the year Boise State is shooting 38.4 percent (8th MW) from the floor, 30.8 percent (6th MW) from the 3-point arc and 73.5 percent (4th MW / 45th NCAA) from the free-throw line, as well as averaging 69.5 points (6th MW) and 37 rebounds (10th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 71.8 points (8th MW) and 40.6 boards (6th MW) per game.
- Utah State as a Team: This season the Aggies average a MW best 81.3 points per game and 43.3 rebounds (3rd MW) per game, while allowing 74.6 points (9th MW) and 44.7 rebounds per game (10th MW). They shoot 41.4 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 32.7 percent (3rd MW) from the arc and 75.5 percent (1st MW) from the free-throw line.
- The Coaches: Jerry Finkbeiner is in his second season at Utah State where he is 26-21, his career mark in 25 years is 500-262. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 143-121 and 538-248 in his 27th season all-time.
- Mixing it Up, Leading Scorers: Boise State has had seven different players lead the team in scoring during the first 15 games. Miquelle Askew has led six times (tied once) while Deanna Weaver has led three times, Lexie Der and Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego (tied once) have led the team twice each, Keiahnna Engel, Brandi Henton and Brooke Pahukoa have all led once.
- Balanced Attack: Boise State has had a relatively balanced attack this year with five players averaging between 16 and 7.0 points per game. After five games Deanna Weaver is averaging 16 points per game, while Miquelle Askew is at 13.9 ppg, followed by Lexie Der at 10.6 ppg and Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego at 9.6 ppg.
- Scoring Points: The Broncos are running a fast paced scoring offense this year which has them averaging 69.5 points per game to rank sixth in the Mountain West.
- Field Goal Attempts: The Broncos have taken more shots than their opponents in 12 of 15 games to date. Portland (Dec. 8) was the first team to take more shots than the Broncos, Cal State Fullerton (Dec. 29) was the last to do it.
- Field Goal Shooting: The Broncos have shot better than their opponents percentage wise only three times this year in a 92-56 victory over the College of Idaho (Nov. 20), Cal State Fullerton (Dec. 29) a 66-64 win and most recently in a 73-4 win over San Diego State (Jan. 8). They average nearly seven more attempts a game than their opponents.
- Charity Stripe: Boise State ranks fourth in the MW and 45th nationally in free throw percentage hitting 73.5 percent.
- Hitting 70 Percent from the Stripe: The Broncos have shot over 70 percent from the stripe in 10 of 15 games to date. Interestingly enough they are only 3-6 in those contest and tend to win more (4-2) when shooting below 70 percent. In fact, they actually lost the top two games when they hit a season-high 88.6 percent versus Southern Utah (Nov. 8) and 85.7 percent at Wyoming. Boise State won the game when it shot a season-low 50 percent against Utah Valley (Dec. 5).
- Turnovers: Boise State has had fewer or equal turnovers than the opponent in 12 of 15 contests and averages almost 21 points per game off turnovers, nearly six more than the opponents. The Broncos are third in the MW in turnover margin at +3.1 to rank 69th nationally.
- Five Minute Mark: In Boise State’s first 14 contests the team leading with five minutes left in the game has won 14 times. Only once has Boise State rallied to win, that was in the Bronco’s victory over Idaho State (Nov. 29). The Broncos have not lost win leading at the five minute mark.
- 3-Point Shooting: Boise State is 4-1 win taking fewer 3-point attempts than the opponent and 3-7 when taking more.
- The Key is Below 70: Boise State is 6-1 when keeping the opponent below 70 points. The Broncos are 1-7 when the opponent scores 70 or more.