Jan. 15, 2016
Boise State (9-6, 2-2 MW) at San Diego State (6-9, 1-3 MW)
- The Game: Boise State (9-6, 2-2 MW) will travel to San Diego, Calif., on Saturday to face the San Diego State Aztecs (6-9, 1-3 MW) in conference action at 3 p.m. (Mountain).
- Next Up: Boise State is on the road next Wednesday at San Jose State for a 8 p.m. (Mountain) tip in SJSU's Events Center.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
San Diego State | Saturday, Jan. 16 | San Diego, Calif.
San Diego State Scouting Report
- Record: The Aztecs enter the contest at 6-9 overall and 1-3 in MW play ... SDSU has lost three straight and is coming off a close 60-57 home loss to Colorado State Wednesday night.
- Preseason Poll: The Aztecs were picked to place sixth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches'/media poll.
- SDSU Leaders: On the year McKynzie Fort leads the Aztecs averaging team-highs for points and rebounds at 15.1 (5th MW) and 4.5, respectively ... Ahjalee Harvey adds 8.6 points per game.
- San Diego State as a Team: SDSU is averaging 60.2 points (9th MW) per game and allows 64.7 (7th MW) ... the Aztecs are shooting 38.1 percent (8th MW) from the floor, 27.8 percent (9th MW) from 3-point range and 62.4 percent (10th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively the Aztecs hold opponents to 43 percent (9th MW) from the floor and 31.5 percent (8th MW) from beyond the arc.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Broncos enter Saturday's game at 9-6 overall and 2-2 in MW play ... they are coming off a eight point 66-58 home win over Nevada on Wednesday, preceded by a tough five-point 62-57 loss at Fresno State (Jan. 9).
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 16.3 points (4th MW) and 5.7 rebounds (17th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.5 points (11th MW) and team-high 8.4 rebounds (3rd MW) per game, she leads the MW in league contests averaging 12 rebounds per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 11.7 points (t-13th MW) per game and 5.5 rebounds (18th MW).
- As a Team: Boise State averages 70.3 points (3rd MW) per game and is shooting 42.7 percent (2nd MW/69th NCAA) from the floor, 33.1 percent (1st MW) from the 3-point arc and 77 percent (1st MW/10th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.2 points per game (5th MW) on 39.2 percent (6th MW) shooting from the floor and 29.3 percent (3rd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year's MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 10th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Aztecs lead 7-2 overall and 6-2 in MW league play.
- In San Diego: The Broncos have never won in San Diego in five trips.
- Last Year: The two squads split last season with SDSU winning 57-40 in San Diego, while the Broncos won 64-58 in Boise.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 116-90 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- Boise State has lost six games this season, all by five points or less and by a combined total of 21 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and twice by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
- Presnell Sets Record: Head coach Gordy Presnell in his 11th season at Boise State set the school record for most wins by a coach at Portland on Dec. 6 with his 180th victory ... he is currently 185-144.
- Career Record: Coach Presnell is currently 581-271 (.682) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
- National Standing: Coach Presnell entered 2015-16 as the 32nd winningest active coach in the NCAA (all divisions) with 572 wins (now 581), 19th among active NCAA Division I coaches ... he was also ranked 33rd for best win percentage among current division I coaches at .684.
- Most Conference Wins: Coach Presnell set the program record for wins in conference games last year when the Broncos defeated Colorado State (Dec. 31, 2014) giving him 74 ... the record now stands at 86.
- Most Games Coached: Coach Presnell set the school record for games coached at Boise State when the Broncos tipped at San Diego State (Feb. 7, 2015) in his 302 game ... the record is now at 329.
ASKEW MOVES INTO 12th FOR CAREER POINTS
- The Milestone: Senior center Miquelle Askew hit the 1,000-point milestone on Dec. 13 at home against Concordia (Ore.) when she scored 23 points to give her 1,002 ... she currently has 1,076, 12th overall.
- The Club: Askew is the 17th Bronco to hit 1,000 career points.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- The Milestone: Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,0765 points and 519 rebounds.
- The Club: Askew is the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
ASKEW HITS 500 REBOUNDS
- Miquelle Askew recorded nine rebounds at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State ... she currently sits at 519, 18th all-time on the career list.
- She is the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
Brooke Pahukoa AMONG THE BEST FROM FREE-THROW LINE
- Boise State junior Brooke Pahukoa is among the best free throw shooters all-time at Boise State shooting 84.3 percent (129-153) which would be a new school record if her career was over ... current record is .823 by Nadia Begay (2003-07).
- Last year she had a streak of 30 straight from the line, second longest all-time two short of tying record.
- This year she saw a streak of 23 consecutive free throws dating back to the last eight made at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21) end at Fresno State (Jan. 9).
- This year she is shooting 81.3 percent fourth in MW.
BRONCOS ARE 10TH IN NCAA
- As a team the Broncos lead the MW and are ranked 10th in the nation for free throw percentage at 77 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record, the current high is 74.2 percent in 2011-12.
RODRIGUEZ & PAHUKOA HIT 100TH TREYS
- 100 Treys: Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego became the 11th Bronco ever to make 100 or more 3-pointers in her career, while Brooke Pahukoa is the 12th to reach the milestone.
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego: Rodriguez Ortego made a career-tying four 3-pointers at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the milestone giving her 101 ... she currently sits in 12th place all-time with 105.
- Brooke Pahukoa: Pahukoa hit five 3-pointers at Fresno State (Jan. 9) to put her over the 100 career mark ... she now stands at 108, tied for 10th.
PAHUKOA LEADS THE BRONCOS
- Junior guard Brooke Pahukoa opened the season a little slow offensively scoring a combined total of nine points in the first two contests of the season.
- She has found her touch since recording double-figure points in 10 of 12 contests since to average 18.3 points per game, she missed the Washington State game because of illness.
- On the year she averages a team-high 16.3 points (4th MW) per game on the season and 17.3 ppg in league (4th MW).
- On the year she leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 48.7 percent, fifth nationally.
SHAW ON THE GLASS
- Boise State sophomore Shalen Shaw has been a force on the boards this year leading the team averaging 8.4 per game (3rd MW) and 12 rpg (1st MW) during league competition.
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in 12 games to date.
- She has recorded five consecutive games in double-digit rebounds with 13 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21), 12 in the next game at Colorado State (Jan. 2), a career-high 15th against Utah State (Jan. 6), 10 at Fresno State (Jan. 9) and 11 against Nevada (Jan. 13).
- Has led or tied for the team high in rebounds 11 times this year.
- Shalen Shaw has recorded double-doubles in four of the last five games, three in MW play.