Boise State Plays at New Mexico Wednesday Night
Boise State (8-6, 1-0 MW) travels to play at New Mexico (8-7, 0-2 MW) Wednesday night in The Pit at Albuquerque, N.M.
Mountain West Action Continues Boise State (8-6, 1-0 MW) at New Mexico (8-7, 0-2 MW)
Wednesday, Jan. 16, 2013, at 7 p.m. (Mountain)
Albuquerque, N.M. (The Pit)
WHAT'S HAPPENING THIS WEEK
- Boise State (8-6, 1-0 MW) travels to play at New Mexico (8-7, 0-2 MW) Wednesday night in The Pit at Albuquerque, N.M.
- The Broncos will then return home to host the Air Force Falcons (2-13, 1-1 MW) Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena.
LENHARDT NAMED PLAYER OF THE WEEK
- Boise State's Lauren Lenhardt and Fresno State guard Ki-Ki Moore earned Mountain West Women's Basketball Co-Players of the Week honors for games played from Jan. 7-13, 2013. It is the third honor of the season for Lenhardt and the fifth of her MW career. Lenhardt now has six all-time (WAC and MW) which makes her second in Bronco history and the third to earned Player of the Week honors three times in a season.
- All-Time Record: Wednesday's game will be the fifth meeting all-time in the series between the two programs with Boise State holding a slim 3-1 advantage.
- Last Year: Boise State swept the regular season series winning 65-46 in Boise then 68-64 in Albuquerque. However, New Mexico had the last word when they defeated the Broncos 51-50 in the MW Tournament semifinals at Las Vegas, Nev.
QUICK LOOK AT BOISE STATE
QUICK LOOK AT NEW MEXICO
- The Record: The Broncos enter the week at 8-6 overall, 5-3 at home, 2-2 on the opponents' floor and 1-1 on neutral courts.
- The Broncos at Home: The Broncos are 5-3 in home games this year in Taco Bell Arena. They finished last year 10-7 overall at home, their all-time mark is now 259-135 (.657 pct.) since the facility opened in the fall of 1982.
- The Broncos on the Road: Boise State is 3-3 away from Boise this year. Its last road game was a 87-48 loss at Syracuse on Dec. 30. The Broncos went 5-9 on the road last year, 2-5 in MW play.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won two games in a row, both at home, with victories over the College of Idaho 61-47 on Jan. 2, followed by a 70-68 thriller against Wyoming on Jan. 9 in the MW opener.
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State is led by senior forward Lauren Lenhardt ranked fifth in the MW averaging 14.7 points and 7.8 rebounds (2nd MW) per game on the year. She was named MW Co-Player of the week for the third time this season on Monday, Jan. 14. Junior guard Brandi Henton adds 9.1 ppg.
- As a Team: The Broncos average 64.7 points per game to rank fifth in the league, while allowing 65.9 ppg (6th MW), they rank third in rebound offense averaging 42.1 rpg.
- The Coach: Gordy Presnell is in his eighth season at Boise State where he is 133-100 (.571 pct.), 529-227 (.700 pct.) in 25+ seasons all-time. Presnell is 2-1 all-time against New Mexico.
MOUNTAIN WEST PRESEASON POLL
- UNM's Record: The Lobos enter the game on a four-game skid, all on the road. They are 8-7 overall, 7-2 at home and 1-5 on the opponents' home court.
- Recently for the Lobos: New Mexico is back home for the first time since Dec. 8 and have lost five of six games since. Most recently they opened MW action with two road defeats last week at UNLV (L 68-57) and at Fresno State (L 69-65).
- Leading the Lobos: Caroline Durbin leads the Lobos averaging 12.9 points per game (t-10th MW) and 4.5 rebounds on the year, Deeva Vaughn follows at 9.9 ppg.
- As a Team: On the year, New Mexico features a scoring offense that is averaging 59.1 points per game (7th MW), while allowing 58.6 ppg (3rd MW). UNM is fifth in rebounding at 41.1 per game and second in rebound defense holding opponents to 35.1 boards per game.
- The Coach: Yvonne Sanchez is in her second season as head coach at New Mexico where she is 19-27 (.413 pct.), her career mark is the same. Sanchez is 1-2 all-time versus Boise State.
BRONCOS Vs. MOUNTAIN WEST
- The Mountain West Preseason Poll is a combined coaches and media poll. Boise State was picked to place seventh, while New Mexico was selected just ahead of the Broncos in sixth-place out of nine teams in the 2013 league race.
BREAKING DOWN THE BRONCOS SCORING
- Versus MW All-time: Boise State is 57-43 (57 pct.) all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West.
- All-Time in MW Games: The Broncos are 6-9 all-time in MW games after going 5-9 last year in their first season as members of the MW. However, they are now 6-7 against the current membership in MW games entering the year since the departure of TCU.
- All-Time in Home Games: The Broncos are 4-4 all-time in home MW games.
- Previous Rivalries: Boise State has been a conference rival of Nevada and Fresno State previously as members of the Western Athletic Conference 2001-2011.
- A Rivalry That Spans Five Conferences: Boise State and Nevada have now been conference rivals in five different conferences since the late 1980's. It began with the old Mountain West Athletic Conference (1987-1988), the Big Sky Conference (1988-1992), the Big West Conference (1996-2000), Western Athletic Conference from 2001-2011, followed by the Mountain West in 2012-13.
FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- Scoring Offense Rank: Boise State's scoring offense is ranked fifth in the Mountain West averaging 64.3 points per game on the year and third in league games at 70 ppg.
- Boise State Record When: Boise State has scored 80 points twice this year going 2-0 in those games. They have been at or over 70 points seven times with a 6-1 record. The Broncos are 2-4 when scoring 64 points or below.
- Top Scorers for All Games: Lauren Lenhardt has five double-doubles on the year. She leads the team averaging 14.7 ppg to rank fifth in the MW. Brandi Henton is second at 9.1 ppg.
- Top Scorers for MW Games: Brandi Henton scored a career-high 21 points (1st MW) against Wyoming to lead the Broncos in MW action to date. Lauren Lenhardt recorded 18 points (4th MW) against the Cowgirls to rank second on the team in league games.
- Startling Lineups: Boise State has featured seven different starting lineups which have combined to score 61.7 percent of the team's points on the year, 39.9 points per game. Nine of the 10 active Broncos have started at least once this season.
- The Bench: The Bronco bench averages 24.8 ppg (38.3 pct.). They have out scored the opponents' bench in nine of 14 contests and by an average of six points per game.
3-POINT FIELD GOAL SHOOTING
- Field Goal Percentage for all Games: The Broncos are sixth in the Mountain West for field goal percentage at 36.9 percent on the season. The season high is 51.8 percent against Carroll College (Dec. 9).
- Field Goal Percentage for MW Games: The Broncos are fifth in the Mountain West for field goal percentage during league games at 39.7 percent on the season. The season high is 39.7 percent against Wyoming (Jan. 9).
- Top Field Goal Shooters for all Games: Miquelle Askew leads the Broncos in field goal percentage hitting 46.1 percent (35-76) but has not taken enough shots to be rank in the MW. Lauren Lenhardt follows hitting 45 percent (77-171) to rank seventh in MW.
- Top Field Goal Shooters for MW Games: Brandi Henton leads the Broncos during MW games in field goal percentage hitting 46.7 percent (7-15) to rank eighth in the MW. Lauren Lenhardt (8-18) and Lexie Der (4-9) follow hitting 44.4 percent each to rank tied for 10th in the MW.
FREE THROW SHOOTING
- 3-Pt Field Goal Percentage for all Games: From the 3-point arc Boise State is sixth in the MW at 27.2 percent, with a season high of 45 percent (9-20) at home against Wyoming (Jan. 9).
- 3-Pt Field Goal Percentage for MW Games: From the 3-point arc Boise State leads the MW at 45 percent, with a season high of 45 percent (9-20) at home against Wyoming (Jan. 9).
- 3-Point Shooting: Seven Broncos have hit at least one 3-pointer this year led by Brandi Henton with 21, followed by Lauren Lenhardt with 14 and Julia Marshall with 13.
- Top 3-Point Shooting by Percentage: Erica Martinez leads the team in 3-point percentage at 32.4 percent (12-37). Lauren Lenhardt hits 29.8 percent (14-47) and ranks 12th in the MW, while Brandi Henton is ranked 14th in the MW at 25.3 percent (21-83). Martinez has attempted enough shots to be ranked.
- Free Throw Percentage for all Games: Boise State is second in the MW for free throw shooting on the season converting on 74 percent (182-246).
- Free Throw Percentage for MW Games: During MW action Boise State is seventh for free throw shooting at 63.6 percent (7-11).
- Boise State's Record When: The Broncos have shot a better free throw percentage than opponents in 10 of 14 contests this year, they are 7-3 in those games.
- Free Throw Shooting: The Broncos have hit 75 percent or better seven times with a season high 95.5 percent (21-22) versus San Diego on Nov. 30.
- Top Free Throw Performance: Boise State hit 95.5 percent (21-of-22) of its free throws as a team against San Diego (Nov. 30) at the Air Force Classic, that percentage ranks as the sixth-best all-time for a Bronco team.
- Top Free Throw Shooters: Five Broncos are hitting 70 percent or better from the free-throw line with two above 80 percent led by Diana Lee at 100 percent (15-15) and Miquelle Askew at 86.7 percent (39-45), Askew leads the MW in free throw percentage on the year.
- Free Throw Streak: Diana Lee has a streak of 20 straight free throws going, hitting all 15 attempts this season, as well as the last five from 2011-12 dating back to Dec. 17, 2011, at Eastern Washington when she missed the first of two free throws with 41 seconds left in the game. It has been one year and 21 days since her last miss.
- Scoring Defense for all Games: Defensively, the Broncos are sixth in the MW for scoring defense giving up 65.9 points per game.
- Scoring Defense for MW Games: Defensively during league contests, the Broncos are tied for fourth giving up 68 points per game.
- Field Goal Defense: The Broncos are fifth in the league for field goal defense allowing opponents to shoot 39 percent.
- 3-Point Field Goal Defense: Boise State is sixth in the MW for 3-point defense allowing opponents to shoot 31.4 percent from beyond the arc.
- Miscellaneous Defensive Rankings: For all games Boise State is seventh in the MW for blocks at 2.8 per game, eighth in steals at 7.4 spg and fourth in turnovers forced at 17.1 per game.
- Rebounding Offense: On the glass Boise State is third for rebound offense averaging 42.1 per game.
- Rebounding Defense: In rebound defense the Broncos hold opponents to 40.3 rebounds per game to rank fifth in the MW.
- The Broncos' Record When: Boise State has won the battle on the glass seven times in 14 games this season. They are 6-1 when out rebounding the opponent.