Boise State Travels to Air Force in MW Play
Boise State University (10-6, 1-0 MW) will head for Colorado to take on the U.S. Air Force Academy (5-11, 0-1 MW) at 2:00 p.m. (Mountain) this Saturday in USAFA, Colo.
Boise State (10-6, 1-0 MW) at Air Force (5-11, 0-1 MW)
Saturday, Jan. 14, 2012 at 2:00 p.m. (Mountain)
USAFA, Colo. (Clune Arena)
Radio: KTIK (AM 1350)
Live Stats: http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/afa-w-baskbl-sched.html.
Next Game is Saturday at Air Force
Follow the Broncos
- Boise State University (10-6, 1-0 MW) will head for Colorado to take on the U.S. Air Force Academy (5-11, 0-1 MW) at 2:00 p.m. (Mountain) this Saturday in USAFA, Colo.
- Boise State is coming of an impressive performance in the conference opener at home against New Mexico winning by 19 points, 65-46.
- Air Force is coming in off a 73-39 road loss at Colorado State Wednesday afternoon.
- The Broncos enter the contest on a three-game win streak with victories over Utah Valley (85-64) in Boise, a road win at New Mexico State (56-53), followed by the 65-46 win against New Mexico.
- Saturday's encounter will feature the MW's top scoring offense in Boise State averaging 72.4 points per game versus Air Force's sixth ranked offense at 57.5 ppg.
- Boise State is being out scored by seven points per game when on the road. Conversely they are winning by 11.3 points per game at home, more than an 18-point swing between the two.
- Boise State is led by senior guard Kati Isham who is the current MW Player of the Week (Jan. 9). She is averaging a Mountain West second-best 15.4 points per game while leading the league in 3-pointers made per game at 2.4, ranking 41st nationally. She is also 41st nationally in 3-point percentage hitting 39 percent (39-of-100) to rank second in the MW.
- Lauren Lenhardt follows Isham in scoring on the team and is ranked 6th in the MW at 12.8 ppg. She is leading the conference and ranked 29th nationally in field goal percentage at 54.5 percent.
New Era Begins
- Radio: As usual, the game will be carried live on The Ticket/ESPN Radio (KTIK AM 1350) with Chris King calling all the action.
- Internet: Live stats are free and will be available at http://www.goairforcefalcons.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/afa-w-baskbl-sched.html.
Boise State in Conference Openers
- A new era begins this year with Boise State's first Mountain West campaign.
- The Broncos won their inaugural MW game Wednesday (Jan. 11) night 65-46 over New Mexico in Boise.
- The Broncos are 14-5 all-time against the current membership of the MW.
- Boise State joins Colorado State University, San Diego State University, Texas Christian University (TCU), University of Nevada - Las Vegas (UNLV), University of New Mexico, University of Wyoming and the U.S. Air Force Academy as members of the Mountain West.
- The Mountain West is the sixth conference that the women's basketball program has been affiliated with since the inaugural season of 1970-71.
- Overall, the Broncos have been league rivals with 40 different schools (including the seven in the MW this year) in 42 years.
- Boise State's all-time record in conference games is 254-251 (.503 pct).
- The Broncos left the Western Athletic Conference (WAC) last summer following ten years of membership.
Broncos Get 600th Win
- Boise State is 19-16 all-time in conference openers, 10-3 in openers when played in Boise and 9-13 when playing on the road.
- The Broncos had lost two consecutive conference openers until defeating the UNM Lobos Wednesday night.
- In 10 years of WAC membership the Broncos opened at home only three times. They went 3-7 in openers overall during that time span.
Boise State Versus Air Force
- (1/11/2012) - Wednesday's win over New Mexico gave Boise State its 600th win in program history. The Broncos are 600-495 (.548) entering the Air Force game.
A Quick Look at Air Force
- Boise State and Air Force have met two times previously with the Broncos winning both encounters.
- The two programs played a home-and-home series during the 2003-04 and 2004-05 seasons.
- Boise State won the first meeting 71-66 at the Air Force Academy on Nov. 22, 2003. The second game was in Boise on Dec. 10, 2004 when the blue and orange won 47-35 in Bronco Gym.
- The Falcons enter the game at 5-11 overall and 0-1 in league play. They have lost two straight with defeats at home to Longwood (59-48) last Saturday and Wednesday's 73-39 set back at Colorado State to open conference action.
- Air Force was picked to place seventh, just ahead of Boise State, in the MW preseason poll.
- The Falcons are lead by Alicia Leipprandt averaging 14.6 points per game (3rd MW) and Preseason All-MW honoree Dymond James averaging 11.5 points and team-high 6.9 rebounds.
- As a team Air Force ranks sixth in the MW for scoring at 57.5 points per game and eighth in points allowed at 68.5 per game.
- This is Andrea Williams' second year as Air Force's head coach where she has a 14-33 record.
- Boise State will host Colorado State University in a nationally television game starting at 6:00 p.m. (Mountain) Tuesday night on The Mountain West Sports Network (The Mtn.).
- This will be the first meeting as conference rivals and the third all-time with Boise State leading the series 2-0.
- Boise State defeated Colorado State 54-51 at Fort Collins, on Dec. 18, 1989, then won the second meeting 87-68 in Boise on Nov. 29, 1991 during the Real Dairy Classic.