Women's Hoops is on the Road at Wyoming on Saturday
Broncos looking for their first road win of the season.
Jan. 10, 2014
Download pdf version of Boise State game notes
- The Game: Boise State (6-7, 1-1 MW) will close the week’s action on Saturday afternoon when the Broncos travel to Laramie, Wyo., to face the Wyoming Cowgirls (10-3, 1-1 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Arena Auditorium.
- Radio Broadcast: Listen live to each game via radio broadcast by KTIK (AM 1350) and at BroncoSports.com as Chris Lewis calls the action.
- Follow the Game: The contest at Wyoming will feature live stats on BroncoSports.com at http://www.broncosports.com/sports/w-baskbl/sched/bosu-w-baskbl-sched.html and free live video on The Mountain West web site at http://www.themw.com/#!/watch-live.
- Next Up: Boise State will host Nevada (6-8, 1-2 MW) next Wednesday, then travel to Utah State (8-5, 2-0 MW) for a Saturday night encounter.
The Last Meeting
February 9, 2013
- All-Time Record: Saturday’s game will be the 12th meeting all-time in the series between Wyoming and Boise State with the Broncos holding a slim 6-5 advantage, it will be the fifth encounter in league games.
- Home Court Advantage: Excluding one neutral site meeting the home team has won the other 10 contests in the series, Boise State is 5-0 versus the Cowgirls in Boise and 0-5 in Laramie.
- Last Year: Boise State and Wyoming met twice last year with the Broncos winning the first meeting 70-68 in Taco Bell Arena, while the Cowgirls got their revenge with a 77-60 win in Arena Auditorium at Laramie.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Tough Road to Start League: The Broncos opened the 2014 MW campaign against the top two teams in last year’s standings beginning with Fresno State (L 72-63) who finished second followed by San Diego State in Boise (W 73-64) ... Boise State opens the conference season against the top three in the preseason poll: Fresno State No. 1, San Diego State No. 3 then Wyoming No. 2.
- Preseason Polls: Wyoming was picked to place second in the 2014 MW regular season race while Boise State was projected eighth out of 11 teams.
- Recently for Boise State: Since returning from a short Christmas break the Broncos have gone 2-1 defeating Cal State Fullerton 66-64 in Boise (Dec. 29), then fell 72-63 in the MW opener at Fresno State (Jan. 4), followed by Wednesday’s 73-64 win over San Diego State.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are 6-7 on the year and 1-1 in conference action.
- Recently for Wyoming: The Cowgirls split their first two conference games defeating Nevada 72-64 in Laramie, before falling 75-65 Wednesday night at New Mexico.
- Wyoming’s Record: The UW has the second-best overall mark in the MW at 10-3 and is 1-1 in league action.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 6-2 in Taco Bell Arena this year. They are 267-142 (.653 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos have lost all five road contests this season.
- Wyoming at Home: The Cowgirls are always hard to beat at home and are currently 5-1 this year.
- Leading the Broncos: Boise State is being led by sophomore center Miquelle Askew at 14.3 points per game (6th MW) and team-best 6.6 rebounds per game (10th MW), followed by redshirt-sophomore forward Lexie Der at 10.4 ppg and team-second-best on the glass at 6.3 rpg (11th MW). After three games Deanna Weaver is averaging 19.7 ppg and 5.7 rpg. In league games Weaver leads the MW in scoring at 23.5 ppg.
- Leading the Cowgirls: The preseason MW Player of the Year Kayla Woodward leads Wyoming averaging 17.2 points per game (4th MW) and 6.9 rebounds (7th MW). Fallon Lewis is second in scoring at 17.2 ppg (5th MW) and leads on the glass averaging 9.1 rpg (2nd MW).
- Boise State as a Team: Boise State is shooting 39.1 percent (7th MW) from the floor, 30.9 percent (6th MW) from the 3-point arc and 73.8 percent (3rd MW / 50th NCAA) from the free-throw line, as well as averaging 71.3 points (6th MW) and 36.8 rebounds (10th MW) per game. Defensively the Broncos have allowed 73.7 points (9th MW) and 40.2 boards (6th MW) per game.
- Wyoming as a Team: The Cowgirls average 73.5 points (3rd MW) and 41.2 rebounds (4th MW) per game, while allowing 65.3 points (4th MW) and 41.1 rebounds per game (7th MW). They shoot 41.7 percent (3rd MW) from the floor, 32.6 percent (3th MW) from the arc and 64.5 percent (8th MW) from the free-throw line.
- The Coaches: Joe Legerski is in his 11th season at Wyoming where he is 206-118. Gordy Presnell is in his ninth season at Boise State where he is 142-120 and 537-247 in his 27th season all-time.