Broncos Travel to Fresno State
Boise State and Fresno State meet for the 34th time and only game in 2016.
Brooke Pahukoa scored 20 of her 22 points against Utah State in second half.
Jan. 8, 2016
Boise State (8-5, 1-1 MW) at Fresno State (7-7, 3-0 MW)
GAME PREVIEWFresno State | Saturday, Jan. 9 | Fresno, Calif.Fresno State Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (8-5, 1-1 MW) travels to Fresno State (7-7, 3-0 MW) Saturday for a 3 p.m. (Mountain) encounter in the Save Mart Center.
- Next Up: Boise State will host the Nevada Wolf Pack next Wednesday (Jan. 13) at 7 p.m. in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: Fresno State is 7-7 overall and tied for first with San Jose State in the league standings at 3-0 with victories over UNLV (58-54), New Mexico (69-65 dot) and Nevada (67-59), the last two on the road.
- Preseason Poll: The Bulldogs were picked to place fourth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches’/media poll.
- Fresno State Leaders: Bego Faz Davalos leads the Bulldogs averaging 12.8 points (9th MW) and 9.9 rebounds (1st MW) per game ... Moriah Faulk adds 11.4 ppg and Shauqunna Collins 10.8 ppg.
- Fresno State as a Team: Fresno State is averaging 67.3 points (6th MW) per game and allow 64.3 (6th MW) ... they are shooting 39.1 percent (7th MW) from the floor, 29.3 percent (5th MW) from 3-point range and 69.3 percent (5th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively they hold opponents to 38.6 percent (4th MW) from the floor and 28.8 percent (2nd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter Saturday’s game at 8-5 overall and 1-1 in MW play ... they are coming off a 84-78 overtime victory over Utah State on Wednesday in Boise, preceded by a 68-64 road loss at Colorado State last Saturday to open MW play.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15.4 points (4th MW) and 5.4 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 13.3 points (8th MW) and team-high 8.1 rebounds (t-4th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 11.8 points (12th MW) per game and 5.7 rebounds (19th MW) ... Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego averages 5.0 assists per game (2nd MW).
- As a Team: Boise State averages 71.6 points (2nd MW) per game and is shooting 43.7 percent (1st MW) from the floor, 32.8 percent (2nd MW) from the 3-point arc and 77.3 percent (1st MW/6th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 63.7 points per game (5th MW) on 39.3 percent (5th MW) shooting from the floor and 29.1 percent (4th MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 34th meeting all-time between the two programs ... the Bulldogs lead 23-10 and 5-1 in MW league play.
- Series Note: The last three meetings have gone to overtime with the Broncos going 1-2 in those contests.
- 2/26/14* (H) FS 78-72 ot
- 2/14/15* (H) BSU 75-66 ot
- 3/6/15* (A) FS 55-52 ot
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 115-89 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- Boise State has lost five games this season by a combined total of 16 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and once by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Presnell Sets Record: Head coach Gordy Presnell in his 11th season at Boise State set the school record for most wins by a coach at Portland on Dec. 6 with his 180th victory ... he is currently 184-143.
- Career Record: Coach Presnell is currently 580-270 (.682) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
ASKEW HITS 500 REBOUNDS
- Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,055 points and 507 rebounds.
- Askew is the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
Brooke Pahukoa AMONG THE BEST FROM FREE-THROW LINE
- Miquelle Askew recorded nine rebounds at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State ... she currently sits at 510, 19th all-time on the career list.
- She is the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
BRONCOS ARE SIXTH IN NCAA
- Boise State junior Brooke Pahukoa is among teh best free throw shooters all-time at Boise State shooting 84.6 percent (121-143) which would be a new school record if her career was over.
- Last year she had a streak of 30 straight from the line.
- She currently has an active streak of 19 consecutive free throws dating back to the last eight made at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21).
- This year she is shooting 81.6 percent fifth in MW and 90th in NCAA.
SHAW ON THE GLASS
- As a team the Broncos are ranked sixth in the nation for free throw percentage at 77.3 percent.
- If the season was over today that would be a new Boise State record.
- Boise State sophomore Shalen (Shay) Shaw has been a force on the boards this year leading the team averaging 8.1 per game (t-4th MW).
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in 10 games to date.
- She has recorded three consecutive games in double-digit rebounds with 13 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21), 12 in the next game at Colorado State (Jan. 2) and a career-high 15th against Utah State (Jan. 6).
- Has led or tied for the team high nine times in rebounding.