Broncos Travel to San Diego State
Boise State looks to get back on track when they face the Aztecs Saturday afternoon.
Jan. 6, 2017
NEXT UP FOR THE BRONCOS
Boise State Notes
Follow the Broncos On Social Media
- The Game: The Broncos (12-2, 2-1 MW) look to get back on track when they head to San Diego State ( 6-7, 1-1 MW) for a 3 p.m. (MT) encounter with the Aztecs on Saturday at Viejas Arena.
- Schedule Note: This is the only time the Broncos will face SDSU this season in the MW’s 18-game conference schedule.
- Next Up: Boise State returns home next Saturday to host the Fresno State Bulldogs (8-6, 1-2 MW) in their lone contest of the week at 2 p.m. (MT) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games throughout the season. Chris Lewis is in his fourth season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
- Watch Live: The game will be broadcast live on the internet via the Mountain West Network on BroncoSports.com.
A QUICK LOOK AT SDSU GAME
- Boise State is looking to get back on track Saturday at San Diego State following a 58-55 set back to UNLV on Wednesday snapping a four-game win streak.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads Boise State averaging 14.2 points per game (9th MW) ... Shalen Shaw adds 11.8 points (15th MW) and team-high 7.3 rebounds (11th MW) per game.
- Boise State ranks 40th nationally in 3-point percentage at .364 and is 11th in 3-pointers made per game at 9.0 ... the Broncos average 71.8 points per game, first in the Mountain West.
- San Diego State is 6-7 overall and 1-1 in MW play ... the Aztecs are coming off a 83-78 home win over Nevada on Wednesday, preceded by a 85-42 road defeat at New Mexico.
- McKynzie Fort leads SDSU averaging 16.1 points (3rd MW) and 3.4 rebounds per game ... Khalia Lark, a transfer from Washington who just became eligible following the fall semester, adds 12.8 points and 6.8 rebounds in four games.
- SDSU averages 63.3 points (7th MW) per game on the year, allows 71.4 ppg (9th MW) and is shooting 40.1 percent (5th MW) from the floor as a team and 31.1 percent (6th MW) from beyond the arc.
- This will be the 12th meeting in the series all-time which San Diego State leads 7-4 and 6-4 in the MW regular-season series.
- The Broncos have won three straight over the Aztecs.
BRONCO FASTBREAK NOTES
- The Broncos are 2-1 in conference play following a pair of victories over Utah State (76-56) in Boise (Dec. 29) and a 51-45 win at Colorado State (Dec. 31), followed by a 58-55 loss to UNLV in Boise on Wednesday.
- Boise State is now 12-2 overall and 2-1 in MW play.
- The Broncos’ 12-1 overall start tied for the best start in program history after 13 games, since the 1974-75 squad (no conference affiliation) set the school record at 12-0 before dropping to 12-1 ... the 1971-72 and 1973-74 teams also went 12-1.
- Boise State just completed its best pre-conference campaign in program history at 10-1.
- Boise State has a balanced offensive attack and has had three or more players reach double-figure scoring in 11 of the first 14 games ... they are 10-1 in those 11 contests with the UNLV loss snapping the streak.
- Balanced Attack: Nine players have scored double-digit points this season, six have led the team in scoring at least once ... no one has led the team in scoring more than five times (Brooke Pahukoa).
- The Broncos currently have three players averaging double-digit points led by Brooke Pahukoa (14.2 ppg) followed by Shalen Shaw (11.8 ppg) and Marta Hermida (10.1 ppg) ... five players average 8.3 or more points per game.
- Boise State is second in the MW for 3-point percentage as a team at .364 to rank 40th nationally ... they are 17th in the nation for total 3-pointers made at 124 and 11th nationally for 3-pointers made per game at 9.0, both lead the MW.
- Defensively, Boise State leads the MW and is ranked 12th nationally in 3-point defense holding opponents to 25.3 percent from beyond the arc.
- On the year the Broncos have four of the top-15 3-point shooters in the MW: Brooke Pahukoa (.403) is sixth, Riley Lupfer (.389) is ninth, Marta Hermida (.365) is 12th, while Shalen Shaw (.353) is 14th.
- Head coach Gordy Presnell hit the 600 career wins milestone against Portland (Dec. 18), Presnell is the 32nd coach in NCAA DI history to hit the mark ... he now has 603 wins.
- Yaiza Rodriguez has dished out nine or more assists in five contests to date and six or more in 11 games.
- Rodriguez is second in the MW and 10th nationally in assists per game at 7.1.
- Rodriguez set the school’s career assists record earlier this fall at 452 and has since stretched it out to 524.
- Rodriguez is the first Bronco and seventh individual in MW history to reach the 500 assists milestone ... had eight versus Hawaii (Dec. 20) to reach milestone.
- Rodriguez is now fifth in MW history for career assists at 524, 22 short of fourth.
- Brooke Pahukoa leads the team and ranks ninth in the MW for points per game at 14.2 ... she has seven games in double-digit points, four with 20-plus, including 20 in the win at Colorado State (Dec. 31).
- Brooke Pahukoa has moved into 12th all-time (1,101) for career points at Boise State, 62 short of 11th.
- Brooke Pahukoa is sixth in the MW for 3-point percentage at .403 and is third in the league for 3-pointers per game at 2.3.
- Brooke Pahukoa has a streak of 20 straight games of making at least one 3-pointer.
- Shalen Shaw is second on team and 15th in MW for scoring at 11.8 points per game ... she leads the team and is 11th in MW for rebounds at 7.3 per game.
- Shaw tallied a team-high eight rebounds against Concordia (Dec. 7) to reach the 500 career rebounds milestone ... she currently stands at 550 to rank 17th all-time at Boise State, two short of 16th and 41 short of 15th.
- Marijke Vanderschaaf is averaging 6.6 rebounds per game (2nd on team / 14th MW) and has nine games with six or more boards ... she had a career-high 11 in win at Colorado State (Dec. 31).
- Vanderschaaf has scored double-figure points in seven of the last 10 contests including a career-high 17 in the win over Portland (Dec. 18).