Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego made four 3-pointers at CSU to become 11th Bronco to record 100 in career.
Jan. 5, 2016
Utah State (6-7, 1-1 MW) at Boise State (7-5, 0-1 MW)
- Facts: Wednesday, Jan. 6 | 7 p.m. (Mountain) | Boise, Idaho (Taco Bell Arena)
- Parking: Free parking is available in the Albertsons Stadium Parking Lots
- Admission: Adults: $6 | Senior Citizens (62 YOA): $3 | Youth: $3 | Boise State Students: Free with student ID card
- Live Video | Live Audio | Live Stats | Twitter
- The Game: Boise State (7-5, 0-1 MW) opens the week at home against Utah State (6-7, 1-1 MW) Wednesday night at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Next Up: Boise State will travel to Fresno State (6-7, 2-0 MW) Saturday for a 3 p.m. (Mountain) encounter in the Save Mart Center.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women's games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Utah State | Wednesday, Jan. 6 | Boise, Idaho
Utah State Scouting Report
- Record: USU comes to Boise at 6-7 overall and 1-1 in league following a split in week one of conference play falling at home to San Jose State 86-74 before regrouping to beat San Diego State 55-36 on the road.
- Preseason Poll: The Aggies were picked to place ninth out of 11 teams in the MW preseason coaches'/media poll.
- USU Leaders: The Aggies are led by Funda Nakkasoglu a sophomore guard averaging 21.0 points (1st MW/16th NCAA) and 4.6 assists (MW 4th) per game ... Tijana Djukic adds 9.2 points and team-high 6.8 rebounds (t-6th MW) per game.
- USU as a Team: The Aggies are averaging 71 points (2nd MW) per game and allow 70.8 (9th MW) ... they are shooting 40.9 percent (3rd MW) from the floor, 30.8 percent (4th MW) from 3-point range and 72.3 percent (3rd MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively they hold opponents to 39.5 percent (6th MW) from the floor and 33.2 percent (8th MW) from beyond the arc.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: The Broncos enter the game with Utah State at 7-5 overall and 0-1 in MW play ... they are coming off a 68-64 road loss at Colorado State last Saturday to open MW play, preceded by three straight wins.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 14.8 points (4th MW) and 5.4 rebounds per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.8 points (9th MW) and team-high 7.5 rebounds (5th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.3 points (12th MW) per game and 5.9 rebounds (16th MW) ... Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego averages 5.1 assists per game (2nd MW).
- As a Team: Boise State averages 70.6 points (3rd MW) per game and is shooting 43.7 percent (1st MW) from the floor, 31.9 percent (3rd MW) from the 3-point arc and 76.5 percent (1st MW/12th NCAA) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 62.5 points per game (4th MW) on 39.3 percent (5th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.6 percent (1st MW) from beyond the arc.
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year's MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Record: This is the 29th meeting all-time between the two programs which dates back to February of 1975 ... the Broncos lead 20-8 and 4-0 in MW league play.
- Last Year: The Boise State swept Utah State winning 63-53 in Logan, then 94-55 in Boise.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 114-89 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- Boise State has lost five games this season by a combined total of 16 points ... twice by two points, once by three, once by four and once by five.
- In the pair of two point losses the Broncos had chances to tie or win with last second shots.
ASKEW JOINS 1,000 POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Miquelle Askew recorded three rebounds during the first quarter at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,049 points and 507 rebounds.
ASKEW HITS 500 REBOUNDS
- Miquelle Askew recorded nine rebounds at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State ... she currently sits at 507.
- She is the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
RODRIGUEZ HITS 100TH TREY
- Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego is the 11th Bronco ever to have made 100 or more 3-pointers in their careers ... Brooke Pahukoa should also reach that milestone this season.
- Rodriguez Ortego, a junior from Barcelona, Spain, made a career-tying four 3-pointers at Colorado State (Jan. 2) to reach the milestone giving her 101 ... she currently sits in 11th place all-time with 101.
SHAW ON THE GLASS
- Boise State sophomore Shalen (Shay) Shaw has been a force on the boards this year leading the team averaging 7.5 per game (5th MW).
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in nine games to date.
- She has recorded two games in double-digit rebounds including tying her career high of 13 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21) followed by 12 in the next game at Colorado State (Jan. 2).
- Has led or tied for the team high eight times in rebounding.