Broncos Head to Utah State
Boise State will take on the Aggies at 2 p.m. Saturday.
Jan. 2, 2015
- Boise State (9-3, 1-0 MW) at Utah State (3-10, 0-1 MW)
- Jan. 3, 2015 at 2 p.m. (Mountain Time)
- Logan, Utah (Dee Glenn Smith Spectrum)
- 27th Meeting in Series
The Last Meeting
February 8, 2014
Boise State Runs Wild in 21-Point Win Over Utah State
Miquelle Askew recorded her third double-double of the year to lead Boise State to a dominating 21-point 83-62 victory over the Utah State Aggies in a Mountain West Conference women's basketball game in Bronco Gym at Boise.
- Game: Boise State (9-3, 1-0 MW) heads to Logan, Utah, for Mountain West action against the Utah State Aggies (3-10, 0-1 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) on Saturday in the Dee Glenn Smith Spectrum.
- Next Up: The Broncos will play one game next week with a bye on Wednesday before hosting the Wyoming Cowgirls at 2 p.m. on Saturday, Jan. 10, in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his second season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
SETTING THE SCENE
- Preseason MW Poll: Boise State was picked to place second in this year’s league race, while Utah State was selected eighth.
- Boise State’s Record: The Broncos are currently 9-3 overall and 1-0 in MW play.
- Recently for Boise State: The Broncos have won four straight and seven of their last eight contests ... they just concluded a four-game homestand defeating College of Idaho 91-40 (Dec. 10), Eastern Washington 90-72 (Dec. 14), Portland 94-58 (Dec. 21) and most recently Colorado State 75-65 (Dec. 31) in the MW opener.
- Utah State’s Record: The Aggies enter the game at 3-10 on the year and 0-1 in league play.
- Recently for USU: The Aggies have lost four straight games, including the last two by identical scores of 62-58 to BYU in overtime (Dec. 22) and at San Jose State on Dec. 31.
- Boise State at Home: The Broncos are 7-0 at home in 2014-15 and have an active nine-game win streak dating back to 2013-14 ... they went 11-4 in Taco Bell Arena last year and are now 279-144 (.660 pct.) all-time in Taco Bell Arena.
- Boise State on the Road: The Broncos are 2-3 on the road in 2014-15.
- Utah State at Home: The Aggies have been solid at home going 3-1 this year at the Spectrum ... their lone loss was in overtime to BYU.
- Utah State on the Road: The Aggies have yet to win on the road this year going 0-9 to date.
- Bronco Leaders: Deanna Weaver leads the team at 13.8 points (MW 10th) and second-best 6.2 rebounds (MW 14th) per game ... Miquelle Askew is next in scoring at 10.6 ppg, Keiahnna Engel adds 8.6 ppg ... Camille Redmon leads on the glass at 6.3 rebounds per game (MW 13th) and in blocks at 2.2 bpg (MW 2nd/NCAA 37th).
- Aggie Leaders: Funda Nakkasoglu leads USU at 14.3 ppg (MW 8th) followed by Franny Vaaulu at 7.7 ppg ... Elise Nelson leads the Aggies on the glass at 6.8 rebounds (MW 9th) per game.
- Boise State as a Team: Offensively, Boise State is averaging 72.7 points (MW 2nd) and 40.8 rebounds (MW 5th) per game ... Defensively, the Broncos are on top of the league allowing 58.5 points (MW 1st) and 34.2 rebounds (MW 1st) per game ... the Broncos have averaged 87.5 points per game during its four-game win streak and allowed 58.8 per game for a +28.8 in scoring margin.
- Utah State as a Team: Offensively, the Aggies average 64.8 points (MW 7th) and 41.8 rebounds (MW 4th) per game ... Defensively, they are allowing 74.5 ppg (MW 9th) and 39.8 rpg (MW 8th).
- The Coaches: Jerry Finkbeiner is now in his third season as head coach at USU where he is 36-41, his career mark is 510-283 in 27 years. Gordy Presnell is in his 10th season at Boise State where he is 163-130 and 559-257 in his 28th season all-time.
- Coaching Connection: Former Boise State assistant coach Ben Finkbeiner is now an assistant coach at Utah State where he joined his father’s staff this past summer. Ben was with the Broncos three seasons (fall 2011- spring 2014).
- All-Time Record: This is the 27th meeting all-time between the Aggies and Broncos with Boise State holding an 18-8 advantage in the series.
- Current Streak: The Broncos have won two straight over the Aggies sweeping last year’s series.
- MW Series: Last year was Utah State’s first in the MW when the Broncos won both encounters over USU 71-68 in Logan and 83-62 in Boise.
- Series in Logan: Boise State is 7-4 in games play at Logan, 1-0 in MW play.
- Mountain West Conference: Boise State is 101-80 all-time against the current membership of the Mountain West; however, they are 22-25 in MW contests.