Broncos Open MW Play at Colorado State
Boise State opens 2016 and conference play Saturday at preseason favorite Colorado State.
Jan. 1, 2016
Boise State (7-4, 0-0 MW) at Colorado State (10-1, 0-0 MW)
GAME PREVIEWColorado State | Saturday, Jan. 2 | Fort Collins, Colo.Colorado State Scouting Report
- The Game: Boise State (7-4, 0-0 MW) will open Mountain West Conference play this Saturday at Colorado State (10-1, 0-0 MW) at 2 p.m. (Mountain) in Moby Arena at Fort Collins.
- Next Up: Boise State will host Utah State (5-7, 0-1 MW) next Wednesday (Jan. 6) at 7 p.m. (Mountain) in Taco Bell Arena.
- Radio: KTIK (AM 1350) will carry all of the women’s games this season. Chris Lewis returns for his third season as the voice of the Broncos.
- Internet Broadcast: You can also listen to the radio broadcast on the internet at BroncoSports.com.
Boise State Scouting Report
- Record: CSU enters the game at 10-1 overall, this is also the Rams’ league opener ... they have won seven straight and are coming off a 74-46 road win at Denver (Dec. 20).
- Preseason Poll: The Rams were picked to repeat as conference champions in the preseason coaches’/media poll.
- CSU Leaders: Elin Gustavsson leads the Rams averaging 11.2 points (17th MW) and 5.3 rebounds per game ... Ellen Nystrom adds 10.2 ppg, 4.4 rpg and 5.0 assists per game (3rd MW).
- CSU as a Team: The Rams are averaging 68.5 points (5th MW) per game and allow 48.6 (1st MW) ... they are shooting 42.7 percent (2nd MW) from the floor, 28.7 percent (7th MW) from 3-point range and 67.1 percent (6th MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively they hold opponents to 32.1 percent (1st MW) from the floor and 28.4 percent (1st MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: The Broncos enter the conference opener at Colorado State at 7-4 overall ... they have won three straight 84-77 at home over Concordia of Oregon (Dec. 13), 84-66 at Seattle (Dec. 19) and 84-79 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21).
- Preseason Poll: Boise State who went 22-11 overall and 11-7 (4th) in the Mountain West Conference during 2014-15 was picked to place third out of 11 teams in this year’s MW preseason poll.
- MW Champs: Boise State won the 2015 MW Tournament and advanced to the NCAA first round where the Broncos fell 72-61 at Tennessee.
- Bronco Leaders: Boise State is led by Brooke Pahukoa averaging 15.9 points (4th MW) and 5.6 rebounds (18th MW) per game ... Shalen Shaw is next at 12.6 points (10th MW) and team-high 7.1 rebounds (5th MW) per game ... Miquelle Askew adds 12.5 points (11th MW) per game and 5.6 rebounds (17th MW) ... Yaiza Rodriguez Ortego averages 5.3 assists per game (2nd MW).
- As a Team: Boise State averages 71.2 points (3rd MW) per game and is shooting 43.6 percent (1st MW) from the floor, 31.7 percent (3rd MW) from the 3-point arc and 76.2 percent (1st MW) from the free-throw line ... defensively, the Broncos are holding teams to 62 points per game (4th MW) on 39.4 percent (5th MW) shooting from the floor and 28.6 percent (2nd MW) from beyond the arc.
- Record: This is the 11th meeting all-time between the two programs which dates back to December of 1989 ... the Rams lead 6-4 and 6-1 in MW league play.
- Last Year: The two split last year with the Broncos winning the conference opener in Boise 75-65, while the Rams won the rematch in Fort Collins 83-82.
- Boise State vs. Mountain West: The Broncos are 114-88 all-time versus the current membership of the Mountain West Conference.
- 2014-15 Opener: Boise State defeated Colorado State 75-65 in Taco Bell Arena at Boise.
- Openers All-Time: Boise State is 21-17 all-time in conference openers, 12-3 in openers played at Boise and 9-14 when playing on the road.
- MW Openers: Boise State is 3-1 in conference openers since joining the Mountain West for the 2011-12 campaign, 3-0 at home and 0-1 on the road.
- Lone Loss in MW Openers: Boise State lost at Fresno State 72-63 in the 2013-14 league opener at the Save Mart Center.
ASKEW APPROACHING 1,000POINTS/500 REBOUNDS CLUB
- Presnell Sets Record: Head coach Gordy Presnell in his 11th season at Boise State set the school record for most wins by a coach at Portland on Dec. 6 with his 180th victory ... he is currently 183-142.
- Career Record: Coach Presnell is currently 579-269 (.683) overall in his 29th season as a collegiate head coach.
ASKEW NEARS 500 REBOUNDS
- The Milestone: Miquelle Askew needs two rebounds to reach 500 in her career and join the 1,000 points/500 rebounds club ... she currently has 1,039 points and 498 rebounds.
- The Club: Askew will be the 11th Bronco all-time to join the club.
BRONCO SHARP SHOOTING
- Miquelle Askew needs two rebounds to reach the 500 rebound club at Boise State as she currently sits at 498.
- She will be the 20th Bronco all-time to record 500 career rebounds.
PAHUKOA LEADS THE BRONCOS
- 100 Treys: Only 10 Broncos ever have made 100 or more 3-pointers in their careers ... both Yaiza Rodriguez and Brooke Pahukoa should reach that milestone this season.
- Yaiza Rodriguez: The junior from Barcelona, Spain, has the inside track to hit the mark first entering Saturday’s game with 97, 11th all-time.
- Brooke Pahukoa: The junior guard is right behind Rodriguez currently sitting tied for 12th all-time with 96.
SHAW ON THE GLASS
- Junior guard Brooke Pahukoa opened the season a little slow offensively scoring a combined total of nine points in the first two contests of the season.
- She has found her touch since recording double-figure points in seven of nine contests since to average 18.8 points per game, she missed the Washington State game because of illness.
- Averages a team-high 15.9 points (4th MW) per game on the season.
- She has has hit atleast one 3-pointer in the last nine games, including a career-high six at Seattle (Dec. 19).
- Leads the MW in 3-point percentage hitting 47.2 percent, 17th nationally.
- Boise State sophomore Shalen (Shay) Shaw has been a force on the boards this year leading the team averaging 7.1 per game (5th MW).
- She has recorded six or more rebounds in eight games to date including tying her career high of 13 at Eastern Washington (Dec. 21).
- Has led or tied for the team high seven times in rebounding.