Boise State at ITA Mountain Regional
Seven Broncos will try to earn berths to the indoor national championships in November.
Oct. 17, 2017
THIS WEEK’S FACTS
Tournament: ITA Mountain Region Championships Presented by Oracle
Location: Provo, Utah
Venue: Brigham Young Tennis Center
Dates: Oct. 18-21
WHAT IS HAPPENING
Boise State’s men’s tennis is sending a seven-man contingent to the 2017 ITA Mountain Region Championships at Provo, Utah. The Broncos will compete in both singles and doubles with a berth to the ITA Indoor National Championships on the line for the winners.
The tournament will feature a 128-player draw in singles and 64-team doubles draw beginning Wednesday.
Players from the 18 teams across the Mountain Region will participate in singles and doubles matches from 9 a.m. to 9 p.m., daily through Saturday.
The singles and doubles champions from this event earn an automatic berth to the 2017 ITA Fall National Intercollegiate Championships held at the JW Marriott and the Indian Well Tennis Garden in Palm Desert, Calif., on November 1-5, 2017.
REPRESENTING BOISE STATE
Representing the Broncos in singles will be juniors Jack Heslin (Auckland, New Zealand) and Pedro Platzeck (Sao Paulo, Brazil); sophomores Ryland McDermott (Las Vegas, Nev.) and Harvey Shackleton (Hertfordshire, England); and freshmen Matteo Tinelli (Milan, Italy), Tim Heslin (Auckland, New Zealand) and Stefan Lalovic (Las Vegas, Nev.).
The Broncos’ doubles teams will consist of Tinelli and McDermott, Jack Heslin and Shackleton, as well as Platzeck and Lalovic.
BOISE STATE'S OPENING DAY SCHEDULE
Singles: Wednesday, Oct. 18 (all times are Mountain)
- Jack Heslin (BSU) vs. Sean Hill (BYU) at 11 a.m.
- Harvey Shackleton (BSU) vs. Guilherme Scarpelli (Idaho) at 12:30 p.m.
- Tim Heslin (BSU) vs. Mark Kovacs (Idaho) at 1:30 p.m.
- Pedro Platzeck (BSU) vs. Santiago Sierra (Utah) at 3 p.m.
- Matteo Tinelli (BSU) vs. David Felix (Idaho State) at 4 p.m.
- Ryland McDermott (BSU) vs. Kyle Pease (N. Colorado) at 4:30 p.m.
- Stefan Lalovic (BSU) vs. Santiago Garcia (Air Force) at 4:30 p.m.
Doubles: Wednesday, Oct. 18 (all times are Mountain)
- Pedro Platzeck/Stefan Lalovic (BSU) vs. Chris Goncalves/Luis Flores (NMSU) at 9 a.m.
- Matteo Tinelli/Ryland McDermott (BSU) vs. Peter Shin/Guilherme Scarpelli (Idaho) at 9 a.m.
- Jack Heslin/Harvey Shackleton (BSU) vs. Conor Tordoff/Jonathan Morales (S. Utah) at 10 a.m.
- *Tim Heslin (BSU)/Chase Stoner (Utah) vs. Jesse Ruder-Hook/Pedro Del Valle (Denver) at 9 a.m.
- * = exhibition
The field features representatives from schools from throughout the region including: Air Force, BYU (host), Boise State, Denver, Idaho, Idaho State, Montana, Montana State, Nevada, New Mexico, New Mexico State, Northern Arizona, Northern Colorado, Southern Utah, UNLV, Utah, Utah State and Weber State.
LAST TIME OUT
Boise State hosted the Dar Walters Fall Classic two weeks ago Oct. 5-8 featuring members of 13 teams.
Matteo Tinelli reached the quarterfinals in singles with victories in the round of 32 and 16. He fell in the quarterfinals 6-3, 6-4 to Gonzaga’s Sam Feit.
Ryland McDermott advanced to the round of 16 following a pair of wins in the rounds of 64 and 32. The sophomore then fell in the round of 16 to Ty Gentry of Oregon.
Both Pedro Platzeck and Stefan Lalovic won their opening contests, then fell in the second.
The doubles team of Tinelli and McDermott reached the round of 16.