Oct. 15, 2014
LAS VEGAS, Nev. – Boise State’s Garrett Patton, Thomas Tenreiro, Toby Mitchell and Brendan McClain all won singles matches on the opening day of the USTA/ITA Mountain Region Championships in Las Vegas to advance to the round of 32. In doubles the tandem of Brian Foley and Toby Mitchell won their first match to reach the round of 32 as well.
Patton, Tenreiro, Mitchell and McClain all received byes into the second round on Wednesday, all four recorded wins in the round of 64 to move on in the tournament.
Garrett Patton took on Montana State’s Niklas Brandes this afternoon defeating him quickly in two sets 6-1, 6-3. The senior will now face Utah State’s Sebastian Schneider at 12:30 p.m. (Mountain) Thursday afternoon.
Tenreiro also defeated his round of 64 opponent with relative ease tallying a 6-2, 6-3 victory over Montana’s Semion Branzburg. On Thursday, Tenreiro will take on a Mountain West Conference opponent in New Mexico’s Roldolfo Jauregui at 12:30 p.m.
The third Bronco to advance was Toby Mitchell, a junior from Somerset, England. He downed Marcus Fritz from Utah State in straight sets 7-6 (4), 6-3. Mitchell will now move into tomorrow’s round of 32 against Jacob Sullivan from BYU, the match is scheduled for 12:30 p.m.
Brendan McClain, a sophomore from Ventura, Calif., was the fourth Bronco to win on Wednesday defeating Idaho’s Felipe Fonseca in a hard fought three-set affair 6-1, 3-6, 7-5. McClain now faces BYU’s Shane Monroe in the next round at 12:30 p.m.
Boise State’s Danny Moyer and Brian Foley both played in the opening round where they each fell. Foley lost a frustrating three-set match to Peter O’Donovan from Nevada 2-6, 6-4, 7-5. Foley moves into the consolation bracket where he will play Denver’s Diogo Rocha at 2 p.m. Thursday.
Moyer, a freshman from Kalamazoo, Mich., is competing in his first regional for Boise State. He fell to Utah State’s Jaime Barajas 6-2, 6-3 in today’s opening round. Like Foley, Moyer now moves into the consolation rounds where he will face Nevada’s Mile Cilic at 3:30 p.m. tomorrow.
Boise State has two doubles teams competing as well at the regional, but only Mitchell and Foley played in the first round. The Bronco duo defeated Moez Chargui and Robert Margitfalvi from Nevada on a tie-break 8-7 (6). They will advance into tomorrow’s second round of 32 where they will take on Denver’s team of David Fox and Diogo Rocha at 10 a.m.
The second team of Patton and McClain received a bye into the second round where they will play against Northern Arizona’s Jordan Gobatie and Alex Locci at 10 a.m.
BOISE STATE’S RESULTS
Wednesday, Oct. 15
- Singles - Matches
- Rd. 128 Peter O’Donovan (UN) def. Brian Foley (BSU), 2-6, 6-4, 7-5
- Rd. 128 Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. BYE
- Rd. 128 Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. BYE
- Rd. 128 Jaime Barajas (USU) def. Danny Moyer (BSU), 6-2, 6-3
- Rd. 128 Toby Mitchell (BSU) vs. BYE
- Rd. 128 Brendan McClain (BSU) vs. BYE
- Rd. 64 Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) def. Semion Branzburg (UM), 6-2, 6-3
- Rd. 64 Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Niklas Brandes (MSU), 6-1, 6-3
- Rd. 64 Toby Mitchell (BSU) def. Marcus Fritz (USU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
- Rd. 64 Brendan McClain (BSU) def. Felipe Fonseca (UI), 6-1, 3-6, 7-5
- Doubles - Matches
- Rd. 64 Foley/Mitchell (BSU) def. Moez Chargui/Robert Margitfalvi (Nevada), 8-7 (6)
- Rd. 64 McClain/Patton (BSU) vs. BYE
BOISE STATE’S SCHEDULE
Thursday, Oct. 16 (All times listed are MOUNTAIN)
- Singles - Matches
- Rd. 32 Thomas Tenreiro (BSU) vs. Roldolfo Jauregui (UNM), at 12:30 p.m.
- Rd. 32 Garrett Patton (BSU) vs. Sebastian Schneider (USU), at 12:30 p.m.
- Rd. 32 Toby Mitchell (BSU) vs. Jacob Sullivan (BYU), at 12:30 p.m.
- Rd. 32 Brendan McClain (BSU) vs. Shane Monroe (BYU), at 12:30 p.m.
- Cons. Brian Foley (BSU) vs. Diogo Rocha (DU), at 2 p.m.
- Cons. Danny Moyer (BSU) vs. Mile Cilic (UNR), at 3:30 p.m.
- Doubles - Matches
- Rd. 32 Foley/Mitchell (BSU) vs. David Fox/Diogo Rocha (DU), at 10 a.m.
- Rd. 32 McClain/Patton (BSU) vs. Jordan Gobatie/Alex Locci (NAU), 10 a.m.