Boise State Starts Season at ITA All-American Championships
Four Broncos were invited to participate in this prestigious event at Tulsa, Okla.
Thomas Tenreiro will open singles in the qualifying draw.
Sept. 26, 2014
THIS WEEK FOR THE BRONCOS
- Boise State men’s tennis opens the fall season with four of its members traveling to the prestigious Saint Francis Health System Intercollegiate Tennis Association (ITA) All-American Championships in Tulsa, Okla.
- Representing Boise State will be Thomas Tenreiro, Garrett Patton, Brendan McClain and Toby Mitchell.
- All four received invitations from the ITA three weeks ago, only the top collegiate tennis players are invited to compete in this event.
SAINT FRANCIS HEALTH SYSTEM ITA ALL-AMERICAN CHAMPIONSHIPS
- The ITA All-American Championships will be held Sept. 27 through Oct. 6 at the University of Tulsa’s Michael D. Case Tennis Center.
- The tournament consists of three stages: Pre-qualifying (Sept. 27-28), qualifying (Sept. 29-Oct. 1) and main draw (Oct. 2-6).
- Titles will be competed for in both singles and doubles with the winners receiving berths into November’s USTA (United States Tennis Association)/ITA National Indoor Intercollegiate Championships at the USTA Billie Jean King National Tennis Center in Flushing, N.Y.
REPRESENTING BOISE STATE
- He will be competing in singles only.
- Tenreiro is the highest seeded Bronco at the event having been placed directly into the “qualifying draw” which starts on Sept. 29.
- As a sophomore in 2013-14 he played primarily at No. 3 singles going 14-7 at that position ... his overall singles record was 20-14.
- Honors: 2014 All-Mountain West in doubles with Andy Bettles, who was a senior last season ... a 2014 two-time MW Player of the Week ... two-time Academic All-MW.
- Career record in singles stands at 44-17.
- Patton, a senior, will be competing in both singles and doubles at the ITA All-American.
- He will begin singles in the pre-qualifying stage which starts Sept. 27.
- Last year he went 12-8 playing at No. 4 singles during the dual season ... his overall singles record was 26-13.
- In doubles Patton will team up with sophomore Brendan McClain in the qualifying draw which begins Sept. 29.
- The tandem went 11-8 in duals and 18-10 overall as a pair last year.
- Patton’s career marks are 67-35 in singles and 51-27 in doubles.
- Honors: 2014 All-MW in doubles with Brendan McClain ... a 2014 MW Player of the Week ... three-time Academic All-MW.
- Mitchell will compete in singles only at the ITA All-American.
- The junior has been placed into the pre-qualifying draw which starts on Saturday, Sept. 27.
- As a sophomore in 2013-14 he went an impressive 24-7 overall and 16-3 during the duals season playing primarily at No. 5 and 6 singles.
- His career singles mark is 39-20.
- Honors: Two-time Academic All-MW ... 2014 MW Scholar Athlete (for maintaining above a 3.5 GPA).
- McClain will compete in both singles and doubles in Tulsa.
- He has been placed in the pre-qualifying stage for singles which begins Saturday morning, Sept. 27.
- As a freshman last year, McClain went a team-best 26-9 in singles overall and 21-5 in duals playing primarily at No. 5 where he went 15-4.
- In doubles he will team up with senior Garrett Patton in the qualifying draw which begins Sept. 29.
- The tandem went 18-10 overall and 11-8 in duals as a team in 2013-14.
- McClain’s career marks are 26-9 in singles and 26-12 in doubles.
- Honors: ITA Mountain Region Rookie of the Year ... Blue Gray National Tennis Classic MVP ... All-MW in doubles ... MW Player of the Week ... Academic All-MW.
ABOUT THE BRONCOS
- What’s Back: Boise State returns six letterwinners from 2013-14 in Garrett Patton (Sr. - Boise, Idaho), Thomas Tenreiro (Jr. - Miami, Fla.), Brian Foley (Jr. - Henderson, Nev.), Toby Mitchell (Jr. - Somerset, England), Brendan McClain (So. - Ventura, Calif.) and Abe Hewko (So. - Palm Desert, Calif.).
- What’s New: The Broncos welcomed Lewis Roskilly (Fr. - Stevenage, England) and Danny Moyer (Fr. - Kalamazoo, Mich.) to the squad this August.
- McClain and Patton return with the most singles victories last season with 26 each, McClain went 26-9 while Patton was 26-12 ... Brian Foley (21-9), Thomas Tenreiro (20-13) and Toby Mitchell (23-7) also return, all three had 20 or more singles victories.
- Boise State has always enjoyed solid fan support from Bronco Nation finishing last season ranked fourth nationally in attendance.
- The team finished 2014 ranked 29th nationally going 28-5 overall in duals, 5-0 in MW play, 12-0 in the region, 14-1 at home and 14-4 on the road.
- The Broncos have won back-to-back Blue Gray National Tennis Classic championships in 2013 and 2014, only the fourth team ever to repeat and only the third team to win the BGNTC three times or more ... Boise State also won it in 1998.
- In 2014 Boise State defeated six schools who earned berths into the NCAA tournament: Cal Poly, Clemson, Drake, Idaho, Montana and Virginia Tech.
- The Broncos’ four losses in 2014 regular season were to teams ranked at the time and to schools that have earned berths into the NCAA tournament: No. 7 Baylor, No. 32 Northwestern, No. 43 Oregon and No. 52 Stanford. Note, the rankings are what they were at time of match.
- The Broncos have won all three MW Tournament Championships since joining the league for 2011-12.
- Boise State men’s tennis has won 15 conference tournament championships.
- Boise State has won 12 conference titles and qualified for the NCAA tournament 15 times in Greg Patton’s 18 seasons as head coach.
- The only years that they did not qualify for NCAA Tournament under Patton were: 1993, 2004, 2011.
- Boise State will be hosting the Dar Walters Tennis Classic next weekend, Oct. 3-5.
- There will be 11 teams including Boise State participating in the tournament: Eastern Washington, Idaho, Idaho State, Lewis-Clark State, Montana, Portland, Utah, Utah State, Weber State and Whitman.