ATHENS, Ga. - The No. 42 ranked Boise State men's tennis team's season came to an end, Saturday (May 15), following a 4-0 loss at the hands of No. 29 Florida State in the first round of the 2010 NCAA Team Championships in Athens, Ga.
The Broncos (19-12), who reached the NCAA Team Tournament as an at-large bid, fell behind to the Seminoles early after dropping the doubles point with losses at No. 1 and No. 3. Anderson Reed and Jordan Kelly-Houston scored the first doubles win for FSU by beating Alex Bothe and Erik Sheldon, 8-6, at No. 3. Vahid Mirzadeh and Connor Smith (No. 37 ranked) would secure the doubles point next at No. 1 with an 8-5 win over James Meredith and Jeff Mullen. All was not bad for Boise State, however, as Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin played No. 57 Jean-Yves Aubone and Clint Bowles to an impressive 6-6 tie at No. 2 before the match was called.
The struggles continued for Boise State in singles competition as Florida State would win the first three matches to finish off the dual. Aubone (No. 31 ranked) scored the first Seminole win as he beat No. 55 Meredith, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 1. Next, Kelly-Houston beat Mullen, 6-2, 6-4, to extend the team lead to 3-0. With the dual hanging in the balance, No. 66 Bowles would finish off the sweep with a 6-4, 6-2 win over Pogostkin at No. 3.
The final score wasn't completely indicative of the Broncos performance, however, as the men had won at least one set in two of the remaining three matches that were unfinished. Joli led No. 54 Mirzadeh, 6-4, 3-2 at No. 2. Meanwhile, Bothe was in front of Andres Bucaro, 6-3, 2-3.
Saturday's loss marked the end of another highly successful season for the Boise State men's tennis program. The Broncos recorded nine wins throughout the season against nationally ranked opponents. The men also finished with an impressive 13-1 record at home this spring.
But while the season has come to an end for the Broncos as a team, it isn't quite over yet for Meredith. After being selected to compete in the 2010 NCAA Individual Championships, Meredith will represent Boise State in the 64-player singles tournament. The individual national championships are scheduled for May 26-31 in Athens, Ga.
#29 Florida State 4, #42 Boise State 0
Doubles: (Order of finish: 3, 1)
1. #37 Vahid Mirzadeh/Connor Smith (FSU) def. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU), 8-5
2. #57 Jean-Yves Aubone/Clint Bowles (FSU) vs. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 6-6, unfinished
3. Anderson Reed/Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU), 8-6
Singles: (Order of finish: 1, 3, 5)
1. #31 Jean-Yves Aubone (FSU) def. #55 James Meredith (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) vs. #54 Vahid Mirzadeh (FSU), 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
3. #66 Clint Bowles (FSU) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 6-4, 6-2
4. Alex Bothe (BSU) vs. Andres Bucaro (FSU), 6-3, 2-3, unfinished
5. Jordan Kelly-Houston (FSU) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU), 6-2, 6-4
6. Connor Smith (FSU) vs. Freddy Walsh (BSU), 6-4, 3-2, unfinished
Florida State: 15-9Boise State: 19-12