AUSTIN, Texas - The Boise State University men’s tennis team defeated Texas A&M Corpus Christi 4-1, Friday, at the Penick-Allison Tennis Center to advance to the second round of the NCAA Championships.
The Broncos captured the doubles point and three singles matches to earn the opportunity to play No. 11 Texas, Saturday, May 12, at noon (MT).
Piotr Dilaj and Steve Robertson dominated Jose Zunino and Jose Ycaza at No. 3 doubles to win 8-1. This is the third consecutive victory for the duo after not playing together until the Western Athletic Conference Championship.
Luke Shields and Clancy Shields put the Broncos ahead 1-0 as they defeated Andrey Kumantsov and Dmitry Novikov at No. 1 doubles 8-6. This is the third match the brothers have played together in dual match play (3-0).
In singles, Boise State won at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 6 to capture the match.
Robertson ousted Jaume Farris in straight sets 6-3 and 6-1 to collect the second match point for Boise State. This was the fifth consecutive victory for Robertson and ninth in his last 10 matches.
Kean Feeder remained undefeated as a member of the Broncos as he knocked off Novikov at No. 3 singles 6-3 and 6-2. Feeder has now won a match at No. 1 through No. 3 singles for his three victories this season.
Clancy Shields collected the clinching match point for Boise State as defeated Raul Morant-Rivas at No. 2 singles 6-3 and 6-3. With the victory C. Shields improved to 24-11 on the season in singles including 15-5 in dual match play.
Boise State will now face No. 11 Texas, Saturday, May 12, at noon for a chance to advance to the NCAA Championships in Athens, Ga. The two teams faced each other Feb. 17, in the National Team Indoor Championship, at Chicago with the Longhorns winning 4-1.
This victory was the 30th of the season for Boise State, marking just the third time in the last 20 years the Broncos have reached that plateau.
In other singles action, Luke Shields was leading Andrey Kumantsov 6-4 and 2-0, while Blake Boswell trailed Zinino 6-3 and 4-3. The only Boise State loss came at No. 4 singles where Piotr Dilaj fell to Mikhail Pavlov 6-0 and 6-2.
Boise State 4, Indiana 1
May 11, 2007
1. Luke Shields (BSU) and Andrey Kumantsov (TAMUCC), 6-4, 2-0, unfinished
2. Clancy Shields (BSU) def. Raul Morant-Rivas (TAMUCC), 6-3, 6-3
3. Kean Feeder (BSU) def. Dmitry Novikov (TAMUCC), 6-3, 6-2
4. Mikhail Pavlov (TAMUCC) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), 6-0, 6-2
5. Blake Boswell (BSU) and Jose Zunino (TAMUCC), 3-6, 3-4, unfinished
6. Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Jaume Farris (TAMUCC), 6-3, 6-1
1. Clancy Shields/Luke Shields (BSU) def. Andrey Kumantsov/Dmitry Novikov (TAMUCC), 8-6
2. Raul Morant-Rivas/Mikhail Pavlov (TAMUCC) def. Kean Feeder/Eric Roberson (BSU), 8-6
3. Steve Robertson/Piotr Dilaj (BSU) def. Jose Zunino/Jose Ycaza (TAMUCC), 8-1
Boise State: 30-5