Head coach Greg Patton explained, “Today was like our season. We fought to the end. We lost some tough 4-3 matches this year. We hoped to at least extend it to 4-3 today.
At No. 3 doubles, Cal’s Jonathan Dahan and Bozhidar Katsarov jumped out to a 6-2 lead only to see
That turned eyes to No. 2 doubles, where the Broncos’ Paul Koenke and Eric Roberson came back from a 6-4 deficit to tie the match at 6-6 and again rallied to tie it at 7-7. But Cal’s Eoin Heavey and Kallim Stewart were able to hold off the comeback attempt, winning the next two games for a 9-7 win to give the Bears the doubles point.
The Bears extended their lead to 3-1 as Zerbini defeated Dilaj, 6-2, 6-3, at No. 4 singles. The Broncos responded minutes later as No. 83-ranked Clancy Shields mimicked his brother to defeat Mouillon, 6-4, 6-1, at No. 2 singles and get
“We were hoping to get off court 5 with a win (to even the match at 3-3) and put pressure on court 6, but we couldn’t get there,” said Patton. “It’s good to get into the dance, but we were thrown out too early.”
The Broncos ended their season with a 21-12 record and will say goodbye to five seniors: Luke Shields, Piotr Dilaj, Eric Roberson, Brent Werbeck, and Jamaal Hepburn.
Junior Clancy Shields has qualified as an NCAA Individual competitor in singles play and will join older brother Luke Shields in the doubles draw. The NCAA Individual Championships will be played in
(1) Geoff Chizever-Pedro Zerbini (Cal) lost to Clancy Shields-Luke Shields (BSU), 3-8
(2) Eoin Heavey-Kallim Stewart (Cal) def. Paul Koenke-Eric Roberson (BSU), 9-7
(3) Jonathan Dahan-Bozhidar Katsarov (Cal) def. Piotr Dilaj-Steve Robertson (BSU), 8-5
Order of Finish: 1,3,2
(1) Kallim Stewart (Cal) lost to Luke Shields (BSU), 4-6, 2-6
(2) Pierre Mouillon (Cal) lost to Clancy Shields (BSU), 4-6, 1-6
(3) Eoin Heavey (Cal) def. Brent Werbeck (BSU), 6-2, 6-2
(4) Pedro Zerbini (Cal) def. Piotr Dilaj (BSU), 6-2, 6-3
(5) Jonathan Dahan (Cal) vs. Eric Roberson (BSU) 3-6, 7-6 (7-4), susp.
(6) Bozhidar Katsarov (
Order of Finish: 3,1,4,2,6