FRESNO, Calif. - The No. 42 ranked Boise State men's tennis team punched its ticket into the semifinals of the Western Athletic Conference Championships in Fresno, Calif., Friday (April 30), with a 4-1 win over No. 68 New Mexico State in the opening round of tournament action.
Boise State (19-10), which entered the tournament as the No. 3 seed, scored the doubles point and three wins in singles to knock off the No. 6 seed Aggies. James Meredith and Jeff Mullen scored the first doubles win for Boise State by beating Jim Brouleau and Orlando Superlano, 8-4, at No. 1. Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin then beat Arthur Surreaux and Eduardo Salas, 8-4, at No. 2 to give the Broncos a 1-0 lead in the match.
Boise State quickly extended its dual lead with wins at No. 5 and No. 2 singles. Alex Bothe gave the Broncos a 2-0 lead with a 6-3, 6-3 win over Superlano at No. 5. He was followed by Joli, who beat Gustave Diep, 6-3, 7-6, at No. 2.
After dropping the No. 3 singles match to narrow the team score to 3-1 No. 47 ranked Meredith scored the final point with a win at No. 1 to give Boise State the 4-1 final. Meredith beat Brouleau, 3-6, 6-1, 7-5, to score the win for the Broncos.
With the win Boise State advances to Saturday's (May 1) semifinal round where the Broncos will face No. 2 seed Fresno State at 2 p.m. (CST).
#42 Boise State 4, #68 New Mexico State 1
- James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Jim Brouleau/Orlando Superlano (NMSU) 8-4
- Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Arthur Surreaux/Eduardo Salas (NMSU) 8-4
- Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU) vs. Gustave Diep/Luis Ramirez (NMSU) unfinished (4-6)
Singles: (Order of finish: 5, 2, 3, 1)
- #47 Meredith (BSU) def. Brouleau (NMSU) 3-6, 6-1, 7-5
- Joli (BSU) def. Diep (NMSU) 6-3, 7-6
- Surreaux (NMSU) def. Pogostkin (BSU) 3-6, 6-4, 6-2
- Harry Skinner (BSU) vs. Matej Stakne (NMSU) unfinished (6-7, 6-1, 3-0)
- Bothe (BSU) def. Superlano (NMSU) 6-3, 6-3
- Mullen (BSU) vs. Ramirez (NMSU) unfinished (7-5, 5-7, 3-2)