SAN DIEGO - The top-seeded and 38th-ranked Boise State men's tennis team defeated fourth-seeded TCU, 4-0, on Saturday afternoon at Aztec Tennis Center to advance to the Mountain West Men's Tournament championship match.
The Broncos earned the doubles point with a narrow win at the third position. The Boise State tandem of James Meredith and Nathan Sereke defeated Daniel Sanchez and Max Stevens (8-3) at No. 1, but TCU answered back with a victory by Nick Chappell and Will Stein (8-6) at the No. 2 spot. In the deciding match, Andy Bettles and Filipp Pogostkin netted an 8-5 win over J.T. Sundling and Blake Wiggins to secure the first point of the dual for the Broncos.
The singles points came with a little less stress than the doubles point as three Broncos won in straight sets to wrap up the win.
Pogostkin notched a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Stein at the No. 5 position to give Boise State a 2-0 advantage.
Moments later, Nathan Sereke put the Broncos ahead 3-0 with a 6-3, 6-2 win at No. 4 singles.
Scott Sears notched a 6-2, 7-6 (4) win over Wiggins at the sixth singles position to secure the match in the Broncos' favor.
"We got straight-set wins from our four, five and six guys which is huge," said head coach Greg Patton. "Those spots are the legs to our table and the concrete of our foundation."
Boise State will face third-seeded New Mexico which upset second-seed San Diego State in the other semifinal, 4-1. That championship match will begin at 10 a.m. PT, Sunday. Live scoring will be available at www.themwc.com.
No. 1 Boise State 4, No. 4 TCU 0
Mountain West Championships, April 28, 2012
1. James Meredith/Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU) 8-3
2. Nick Chappell/Will Stein (TCU) def. Damian Hume/Scott Sears (BSU), 8-6
3. Andy Bettles/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. J.T. Sundling/Blake Wiggins (TCU), 8-5
Order of FInish: 1, 2, 3
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) vs. James Meredith (BSU), 6-4, 4-4, unfinished
2. Damian Hume (BSU) vs. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 7-5, 5-3, unfinished
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) vs. J.T. Sundling (TCU), 7-6 (3), 1-1
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez (TCU), 6-3, 6-2
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Will Stein (TCU), 6-1, 6-4
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Blake Wiggins (TCU), 6-2, 7-6 (4)
Order of Finish: 5, 4, 6