BOISE, Idaho The No. 23 Boise State University men’s tennis team earned its third consecutive trip to the Western Athletic Conference Championship by shutting out Nevada 4-0, Saturday at the Appleton Tennis Center.
With the win, the Broncos improved to 28-5 on the season and 19-0 at home. Boise State earned the four points required for match victory in doubles and at No. 2, No. 5 and No. 6 singles.
Luke Shields and Clancy Shields, playing together for the first time since the All-American tournament in Oct., defeated Nevada’s No. 1 doubles team of Laurent Garcin and Guillaume Tonelli 8-4.
The doubles point was secured at No. 3 doubles when Steve Robertson and Piotr Dilaj earned their first doubles victory of the season by dropping Benjamin David and Guerin Smith 8-4, to give Boise State the 1-0 advantage heading into singles.
Kean Feeder earned his second victory as a member of the Broncos as he ousted Guillaume Tonelli in straight sets at No. 2 singles 6-4 and 6-1, to put the Broncos ahead 2-0.
Brent Werbeck became the seventh member of the team with at least 20 singles wins as he earned the straight set victory over Arzhang Derakhshani at the No. 6 position 6-2 and 6-0. The victory was Werbeck’s fifth straight, as he improved to 20-10 on the season and 14-5 in dual match play.
Eric Roberson garnered the deciding match point at No. 6 singles when he knocked off Eldar Dzhafarov 6-2 and 6-0, to give Boise State the uncontested win and a trip to the championship match Sunday.
Three singles matches went undecided when the match was called after Boise State collected the essential fourth match point. Luke Shields was leading Laurent Garcin at No. 1, 6-2 and 6-6, Steve Robertson was up a set on Alex Daruty 6-3 and 3-2, while Blake Boswell led David 6-3 and 3-3.
The Broncos will be seeking their third consecutive WAC Championship and fourth in five years as they face No. 72 Fresno State, Sunday, Apr. 29, at 11:00 a.m. at the Appleton Tennis Center.
Tennis Match Results
Nevada vs Boise State
4/28/2007 at Boise, Idaho
#23 Boise State 4, Nevada 0
1. Luke Shields (BSU) vs. Laurent Garcin (NEV) 6-2, 6-6, unfinished
2. Kean Feeder (BSU) def. Guillaume Tonelli (NEV) 6-4, 6-1
3. Blake Boswell (BSU) vs. Benjamin David (NEV) 6-3, 3-3, unfinished
4. Steve Robertson (BSU) vs. Alex Daruty (NEV) 6-3, 3-2, unfinished
5. Eric Roberson (BSU) def. Augustin Myard (NEV) 6-1, 6-3
6. Brent Werbeck (BSU) def. Arzhang Derakhshani (NEV) 6-2, 6-0
1. Clancy Shields/Luke Shields (BSU) def. Guillaume Tonelli/Laurent Garcin (NEV) 8-4
2. Benjamin David/Guerin Smith (NEV) def. Eric Roberson/Blake Boswell (BSU) 8-4
3. Piotr Dilaj/Steve Robertson (BSU) def. Augustin Myard/Arzhang Derakhshani (NEV) 8-4
Boise State 28-5; National ranking #23
Semifinal match of the 2007 WAC Men's Tennis Championship
Match played at the Appleton Tennis Center