Boise State Set to Defend MW Championships
The three-time defending MW champion Broncos are looking for a fourth title when the tournament begins on Thursday in Albuquerque, N.M.
Greg Patton is looking for his 14th conference title at Boise State.
April 21, 2015
THIS WEEK'S FACTS
TOURNAMENT PAIRINGS & SCHEDULE
- Thursday, April 23
- 9 a.m. MT - Quarterfinal Match #1 (No. 2 Utah State vs. No. 7 Nevada)
- 12 p.m. MT - Quarterfinal Match #2 (No. 3 San Diego State vs. No. 6 UNLV)
- 3 p.m. MT - Quarterfinal Match #3 (No. 4 Fresno State vs. No. 5 Boise State)
- 6 p.m. MT - Quarterfinal Match #4 (No. 1 New Mexico vs. No. 8 Air Force)
- Saturday, April 25
- 9 a.m. MT - Semifinal Match #1 (Utah State/Nevada winner vs. San Diego State/UNLV winner)
- 12 p.m. MT - Semifinal Match #2 (Fresno State/Boise State winner vs. New Mexico/Air Force winner)
- Sunday, April 26
- 11 a.m. MT - Championship Match
- The Boise State Broncos (12-15, 4-3 MW) are in Albuquerque, N.M., to defend their three-consecutive Mountain West Tournament Championships.
- The single elimination tournament begins at 3 p.m. (Mountain) on Thursday for Boise State who will face rival and fifth-seeded Fresno State (16-9, 4-3 MW) in the quarterfinals.
- Depending on the quarterfinal results the Broncos could face either top-seeded and tournament host New Mexico or No. 8 Air Force in the semifinals on Saturday at 12 p.m.
BRONCOS MW TOURNAMENT HISTORY
- The Broncos have never lost at this tournament since joining the league for the 2011-12 campaign and are the three-time defending champions.
- Boise State is currently 8-0 all-time in this event ... five of the eight victories have been by 4-0 sweeps.
- Boise State and New Mexico have met in the championship match the last three years.
THE FRESNO STATE MATCH
- The tournament opens for the Broncos with Fresno State which defeated Boise State 4-3 two weeks ago in Fresno. The match came down to the final singles contest of the day before being decided with the Broncos on the short end of the score.
- Fresno State and Boise State tied during the regular season with 4-3 records in league play, the Bulldogs earned the No. 4 seed based on its victory over the Broncos.
- The Bulldogs enter the contest with a three-match win streak, all at home, including a sweep of No. 65 UC Santa Barbara (W 4-3) and Nevada (W 4-1) this past weekend.
- Fresno State has had five different players compete at No. 1 singles this spring ... Sai Kartik Nakireddi has seen the most time going 3-5 on court one to go with an overall mark of 7-9 this spring ... six players have competed on court two led by Adam Glynn who is 4-6 at No. 2 singles and 9-9 overall this spring.
- In doubles Fresno State is led by the tandem of Glynn and Euan McIntosh on court one where they are 7-3 this spring.
POSSIBLE SEMIFINAL ROUND OPPONENTS
- If the Broncos defeat Fresno State in the quarterfinals they could face either New Mexico or Air Force in the semifinals on Saturday.
- New Mexico is the top seed and the tournament host ... the Lobos are ranked 39th nationally and own a 19-9 overall record with a 6-1 league mark.
- New Mexico who are lead by 98th-ranked Samir Iftikhar (12-9 overall in singles) defeated the Broncos earlier this season in Boise by a 4-1 score.
- Air Force enters the tournament as the eighth seed with a 10-11 overall record and 0-7 league mark.
- Boise State swept Air Force 7-0 in Boise on April 5 ... Senior Grant Taylor leads the Falcons by playing at the No. 1 singles position where he is 11-9 in duals to go with a 16-18 overall record.
QUICK LOOK AT BOISE STATE
- The Broncos are currently 12-15 overall and 4-3 in league play entering the tournament.
- Versus ITA Mountain Region opponents the Broncos are 7-1 this year.
- The Broncos finished the regular season 8-6 at home in 2015.
- So far this season the Broncos are 4-9 on the road.
LEADING THE BRONCOS
- Boise State is led by senior Garrett Patton who plays No. 1 singles for the Broncos ... Patton has won 15 of his last 18 singles matches, including nine straight, and is now a team-best 22-9 on the year.
- Junior Thomas Tenreiro has been the primary No. 2 singles player during duals going 8-7 on that court this spring ... Tenreiro is 14-19 overall in singles on the year.
- In doubles the tandem of Tenreiro and Lewis Roskilly has led the Broncos going 16-5 overall with a 7-4 mark on court one and 9-1 record on court two.
REPRESENTING THE BRONCOS
RECENTLY FOR BOISE STATE
- Boise State men's tennis closed the regular season in dominating fashion sweeping Utah State 4-0 and Idaho 6-1 last Saturday (April 18).
- Senior Garrett Patton led Boise State going a combined 4-0 in doubles and singles in his final two matches as a Bronco at the Appleton Tennis Center.
- The Broncos won both doubles points and eight of nine singles matches completed in the doubleheader as the Blue and Orange quickly dispatched the competition.
- Toby Mitchell followed Patton up going 3-0, he winning both doubles contests with Patton along with a singles victory against Idaho in the night cap.
- Lewis Roskilly also went 3-0 with a pair of doubles wins teamed up with Thomas Tenreiro to go with a singles victory against the Vandals.
- Brian Foley won both singles matches versus Utah State and Idaho finishing the day 2-0.
END OF SEASON TENNIS BANQUET
- The 2015 Men's and Women's Tennis Banquet will be held Friday, May 1, at 6 p.m. in the Stueckle Sky Center.
- The cost of the banquet with meal is $25 per person ... RSVP by April 24.
- For more information call Robyn Hood at 208-426-5749
- It is a Boise State tradition not to shy away from a tough schedule, 2015 has not been any different with 16 of the 28 matches coming against teams currently ranked nationally by the ITA.
- Opponents in ITA Top-75: No. 17 Texas Tech, No. 19 South Florida, No. 26 Stanford, No. 30 Northwestern, No. 34 Harvard, No. 38 San Diego State, No. 39 New Mexico, No. 42 Pepperdine (twice), No. 50 Oregon, No. 54 Cal Poly, No. 62 UC Santa Barbara, No. 63 Auburn, No. 67 Utah State, No. 69 Fresno State and No. 73 UC Irvine.
- Boise State is one of seven Mountain West members who have been ranked at some point this year: New Mexico, San Diego State, Nevada, Utah State, Fresno State and UNLV.
- Other teams the Broncos have played that were ranked at some point this season include: Penn and Utah.
- In all, Boise State will face 19 teams, for a total of 20 matches, who have been ranked this season.
- Greg Patton is in his 19th season as head coach at Boise State where he is 420-165 overall in team duals, his career mark is 771-358 in 35 years.
- His 771 career wins ranks him first among active coaches in the NCAA.
DEFENDING MW CHAMPIONS
- League Champions: Boise State is the three-time defending Mountain West Tournament champion and is undefeated in the event since joining the league for the 2011-12 season.
- NCAA Tournament Participant: Boise State advanced to the NCAA Tournament in 2014 for the 17th time in school history and the ninth time in the last nine years.