BOISE, Idaho - The No. 48 ranked Boise State men's tennis team made a big statement in their final dual of the regular season, Sunday (April 18) afternoon, as the Broncos knocked off No. 28 Arizona, 4-3, in Tucson, Ariz.
The Broncos (18-10 overall, 4-2 Western Athletic Conference) started strong on Sunday by winning the ever important doubles point with victories at No. 1 and No. 2. Boise State then scored singles wins at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 to clinch the dual.
James Meredith and Jeff Mullen earned the first doubles win of the day, beating Ravid Hazi and Pat Metham, 8-3, at No. 1. The Broncos clinched the doubles point next at No. 3 as Filipp Pogostkin and Vicente Joli beat Geoff Embry and Jason Zafiros, 6-3, 6-2.
Needing just three wins in singles competition Boise State still needed a small comeback to hold off the Wildcats, however. After losing at No. 4 and No. 3, Joli scored a big win over Jay Goldman, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 2 to even the team score at 2-2. Mullen then put the Broncos within striking distance as he beat Embry, 6-3, 7-6 (4).
No. 42 ranked Meredith would give Boise State the win at No. 1, scoring a 6-4, 6-3 win over No. 119 Andres Arango. Arizona would earn at win at No. 6 to narrow the final score at 4-3, but the point would be too little too late.
Sunday marked the last dual of the Broncos' regular season schedule, as they will now turn their attention on the WAC Championships. The conference tournament will be held in Fresno, Calif., April 30 - May 2.
No. 28 Arizona 3, No. 48 Boise State 4
1. Meredith/Mullen (BSU) def. Hazi/Metham (UA) 8-3
2. Joli/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Embry/Zafiros (UA) 8-5*
3. Arango/Goldman (UA) def. Bothe/Sheldon (BSU) 7-6 (7-1)
Order of Finish: 1,2,3
1. No.42 James Meredith (BSU) def. No. 119 Andres Arango (UA) 6-4, 6-3*
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Jay Goldman (UA) 6-4, 6-2
3. Andres Carrasco (UA) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
4. Jason Zafiros (UA) def. Alex Bothe (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Geoff Embry (UA) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
6. Ravid Hazi (UA) def. Freddy Walsh (BSU) 6-3, 7-6 (4)
Order of Finish: 4,3,2,5,1,6