LAS CRUCES, N.M. - The No. 48 ranked Boise State men's tennis team suffered a big loss in Las Cruces, N.M. on Saturday (April 17), as the Broncos dropped their final Western Athletic Conference dual of the regular season with a 4-1 loss to No. 42 Hawai'i.
With WAC tournament implications surrounding Saturday's dual, Boise State (17-10 overall, 4-2 WAC) fell behind early and couldn't recover. The Broncos went into the weekend locked at the top of the WAC standings with Fresno State and Hawai'i, as all three teams had just one conference loss this year. After falling to the Warriors, however, Boise State now drops to the No. 3 seed heading into the WAC Championships.
The Broncos lost a big momentum swing to Hawai'i in doubles play with a narrow loss at No. 3 to drop the doubles point. After losing the No. 2 doubles match, James Meredith and Jeff Mullen scored a 9-7 upset win over No. 73 Philipp Eberhard and Andreas Weber at No. 1. With the doubles point on the line the Broncos couldn't deliver, though, as Leo Rosenberg and Jeremy Tweedt beat Alex Bothe and Erik Sheldon, 9-8 (7), at No. 3.
Knocked down from the narrow finish in doubles, Boise State couldn't bounce back. The Broncos lost singles matches at No. 2, No. 3 and No. 4 to drop the dual. No. 42 ranked Meredith recorded the only Bronco victory of the day with a 6-1, 6-4 win against No. 110 Dennis Lajola at No. 1.
Boise State will look to rebound from the tough loss on Sunday (April 18) when the Broncos compete in their regular season finale at the University of Arizona. The No. 28 ranked Wildcats will host the Broncos at 12 p.m. in Tucson, Ariz.
#42 Hawaii 4, #48 Boise State 1
Doubles: (Order of Finish: 2, 1, 3)
- James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. #73 Philipp Eberhard/Andreas Weber (UH) 9-7
- Dennis Lajola/Daniel Llarenas (UH) def. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-6
- Leo Rosenberg/Jeremy Tweedt (UH) def. Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 9-8 (7)
Singles: (Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1, 4)
- #42 Meredith (BSU) def. #110 Lajola (UH) 6-1, 6-4
- Weber (UH) def. Joli (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Rosenberg (UH) def. Pogostkin (BSU) 6-4, 6-4
- Tweedt (UH) def. Bothe (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
- Mullen (BSU) vs. Eberhard (UH) unfinished
- Dmytro Kovalyov (UH) vs. Freddy Walsh (BSU) unfinished