ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. - The No. 48 ranked Boise State men's tennis team avoided a near upset in Albuquerque, N.M., Thursday (April 15) afternoon, as the Broncos rallied in their final match against the University of New Mexico to grind out a 4-3 win.
The Broncos (17-9 overall, 4-1 Western Athletic Conference) won four singles matches to mount an incredible rally after falling to an early 1-0 deficit to the Lobos. After being swept in doubles competition, Boise State scored wins at No. 1, No. 2 and No. 5 to even the team score at 3-3.
No. 42 ranked James Meredith earned the first Bronco point of the day by beating Ben Dunbar, 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1. He was followed by Vicente Joli, who knocked off Carl Ho, 6-0, 7-6, at No. 2. Alex Bothe managed to even the score at three all with a 6-2, 7-5 win over Joe Wood at No. 5.
With just the No. 3 singles match left to finish, a Boise State victory fell square on the shoulders of Filipp Pogostkin. After winning the first set against Jadon Phillips, 7-6, Pogostkin dropped the second set 5-7 to force a third and decisive set. As play moved on in the final set, Phillips gained an early 4-1 advantage to put Pogostkin against the ropes. Pogostkin would show resiliency, however, putting together a 6-1 run to capture the third set, 7-5, and earn the go ahead point for the Broncos.
Boise State hopes its dramatic win will help jump start a challenging final weekend on the road, which continues on Saturday (April 17) in Las Cruces, N.M. The Broncos will face No. 42 Hawai'i at 10 a.m. on Saturday, before heading to Tucson, Ariz. to square off against No. 28 Arizona on Sunday. Sunday's dual is scheduled for 12 p.m.
#48 Boise State 4, University of New Mexico 3
1. James Meredith (BSU) def. Ben Dunbar (NM) 6-3, 6-4
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Carl Ho (NM) 6-0, 7-6
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Jadon Phillips (NM) 7-6, 5-7, 7-5
4. Phil Anderson (NM) def. Harry Skinner (BSU) 6-3, 6-4
5. Alex Bothe (BSU) def. Joe Wood (NM) 6-2, 7-5
6. Conor Berg (NM) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 6-1, 7-6
1. Jadon Phillips/Phil Anderson (NM) def. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) 8-6
2. Ben Dunbar/Conor Berg (NM) def. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 9-7
3. Joe Wood/Carl Ho (NM) def. Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 8-6
Boise State 17-9, 4-1; National ranking #48
University of New Mexico 6-11
Order of finish: Doubles (); Singles (,3)