ALBUQUERQUE - The Boise State tennis team completed its final regular season road trip with a 5-2 win over the No. 61 New Mexico Lobos, Sunday. The Broncos (22-6, 4-0 MW) are still undefeated in conference play with one match remaining as UNLV comes to Boise next weekend for the season finale.
Boise State won another close doubles point as the two teams split wins on courts one and two, leaving Bettles/Pogostkin in a battle against Ho/Hignett. The Bronco duo, which was the only tandem to lose its doubles match in the Friday match against TCU, redeemed itself with a 9-7 victory to give the Orange and Blue an early lead.
The Lobos tied things up with a win in the first single match on court six but the Broncos would not be deterred, rattling off three consecutive wins to reach the magic number of four points.
No. 69 James Meredith and No. 74 Damian Hume each took care of business at the top two spots. Meredith, who suffered a defeat on Friday, rebounded with a win in straight sets over Jadon Phillips, 6-4, 6-2. Hume lost his first set in a tiebreaker before rallying to win the final two sets 6-4, 6-3.
Andy Bettles showed his determination in pressure situations by winning consecutive sets in tiebreak-fashion at the No. 3 slot. He won the first set in a 7-4 tiebreak and the second by the two point gap needed to decide a winner, 7-5.
Filipp Pogostkin kept his hot streak alive in a tightly contested match with Samir Iftikhar. Pogostkin won the first set 7-6 (7-4) before falling 6-1 in the second set. In the rubbermatch, the junior handled the tempo with a 6-3 win.
Boise State is now 10-5 against ranked opponents this season.
The Broncos will be back at home for the last time this regular season, facing the College of Idaho and UNLV in a doubleheader, Friday April 20. Match times are slated for 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., respectively.
No. 30 Boise State 5, No. 61 New Mexico 2
1. No. 69 MEREDITH, James (BSU) def. PHILLIPS, Jadon (UNM) 6-4, 6-2
2. No. 74 HUME, Damian (BSU) def. DUNBAR, Ben (UNM) 6-7, 6-4, 6-3
3. BETTLES, Andrew (BSU) def. ANDERSON, Phil (UNM) 7-6 (7-4), 7-6 (7-5)
4. BERG, Conor (UNM) def. SEREKE, Nathan (BSU) 6-7 (3-7), 7-6 (12-10), 1-0 (14-12)
5. POGOSTKIN, Filipp (BSU) def. IFTIKHAR, Samir (UNM) 7-6 (7-4), 1-6, 6-3
6. HO, Carl (UNM) def. SEARS, Scott (BSU) 7-6 (8-6), 6-1
1. MEREDITH, James/SEREKE, Nathan (BSU) def. #45 PHILLIPS, Jadon/ANDERSON, Phil (UNM) 8-4
2. BERG, Conor/DUNBAR, Ben (UNM) def. HUME, Damian/SEARS, Scott (BSU) 8-3
3. BETTLES, Andrew/POGOSTKIN, Filipp (BSU) def. HO, Carl/HIGNETT, James (UNM) 9-7
Order of finish: Doubles (2,1,3); Singles (6,1,3,5, 4, 2)