The Broncos (21-6, 3-0 MW) had three of their singles victories go to three sets. Two of those, along with the point-clinching doubles match, were decided in tiebreak fashion.
The doubles point started the day's drama as Meredith/Sereke rolled to an 8-3 win at No. 1 before the team of Bettles/Pogostkin fell by a much closer margin on court three, 9-7. With the ever-important first point of the match on the line, the Broncos looked to Hume/Sears to seal the advantage. The duo did just that after a tiebreaker set making the final 9-8.
Filipp Pogostkin would give Boise State a little breathing room as he defeated the Horned Frogs' Will Stein in straight sets, 6-4, 6-2 at No. 5. Stein was the most recent of Pogostkin's victims as the Bronco junior has now won 12 of his last 13 singles matches.
TCU would bounce right back with wins at Nos. 1 and 4. Nick Chappell pulled off the upset of No. 69 James Meredith at the top spot while Daniel Sanchez defeated Nathan Sereke in straight sets, tying the score at two apiece.
But in a scene reminiscent of doubles play, Damian Hume and Scott Sears would slam the door on the Horned Frogs' upset bid.
Hume, ranked 74th in the nation, rebounded from a second-set loss with a 6-2 third to capture a point on court two. The senior from Johannesburg, South Africa is now 15-2 this spring.
Sears clinched the singles point in three closely contested sets, winning the first and third frames 7-5 and 7-6, respectively while falling in the second 6-3. The win marked the seventh-straight singles match victory for Sears which is currently the longest active streak of any Bronco.
With the match decided, Andy Bettles rebounded from a first-set defeat to win 3-6, 6-4, 7-6, making the final score 5-2.
Boise State will head to Albuquerque to face the No. 61 Lobos in a match slated for 11 a.m., Sunday.
Boise State (21-6, 3-0) def. TCU (6-13, 1-2 MW), 5-2
Friday, April 13, 2012
Bayard H. Friedman Tennis Center | Fort Worth, Texas
1. Nick Chappell (TCU) def. No. 69 James Meredith (BSU), 6-4, 6-4
2. No. 74 Damian Hume (BSU) def. JT Sundling (TCU), 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
3. Andrew Bettles (BSU) def. Facundo Lugones (TCU), 3-6, 6-4, 7-6 (3)
4. Daniel Sanchez (TCU) def. Nathan Sereke (BSU), 7-6 (5), 6-1
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Will Stein (TCU), 6-4, 6-2
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Max Stevens (TCU), 7-5, 3-6, 7-6 (5)
Order of Finish: 5, 1, 4, 2, 6*, 3
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Daniel Sanchez/Max Stevens (TCU), 8-3
2. Hume/Sears (BSU) def. N. Chappell/Stein (TCU), 9-8 (3)
3. Lugones/Sundling (TCU) def. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU), 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2*