Broncos Sweep Senior Day Duals
BOISE, Idaho - The No. 49 ranked Boise State men's tennis team enjoyed a successful home finale, Saturday (April 10), as the Broncos bid a successful farewell to seniors Harry Skinner and Vicente Joli with a pair of wins against Western Athletic Conference opponents.
With a pair of 6-1 wins over New Mexico State and Nevada on Saturday, Boise State improved to 16-9 overall this season with a 5-1 record in WAC competition. The Broncos conclude their regular season schedule this next week with road duals against New Mexico (April 15), Hawai'i (April 17) and Arizona (April 18).
Broncos Drop Wolf Pack, 6-1
Boise State used its momentum from a 6-1 win over New Mexico State, Saturday morning, to cruise past the University of Nevada for a 6-1 win in the double-header finale. The Broncos swept the doubles matches for the second time on the day before running out to five singles wins.
Alex Bothe and Erik Sheldon scored the first Boise State win of the day at No. 3 doubles, as the Bronco duo beat Alex Daruty and Kristian Kuharsky, 8-2. Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin secured the doubles point for Boise State with an 8-5 win over Stefan Dmitrovic and Wessim Derbel at No. 2. James Meredith and Jeff Mullen earned the Broncos' final doubles win at No. 1, as they beat Laurent Garcin and Augy Myard, 8-7 (7-3).
Boise State wouldn't slow down from there as the Broncos rolled to five singles wins, including four in straight sets. After dropping the No. 2 singles match, No. 48 ranked Meredith answered for Boise State with a 6-3, 6-1 win over Garcin at No. 1. He was followed by Bothe, who beat Daruty, 6-2, 6-3. Mullen clinched the dual win next at No. 5 with a 6-2, 6-3 victory against Myard.
The Broncos managed to extend their leads with wins at No. 6 and No. 3. Freddy Walsh struck first with a 6-3, 7-5 win over Gabe Kanzelmeyer at No. 6. Harry Skinner scored the last Boise State point with a 6-2, 2-6, 10-2 win against Dmitrovic at No. 3.
No. 49 Boise State Rolls Past New Mexico State, 6-1
The No. 49 ranked Boise State men's tennis team opened up its home finale with a big win, Saturday (April 10) morning, as the Broncos rolled past New Mexico State in a 6-1 victory at the Appleton Tennis Center.
Boise State scored an early 1-0 lead by winning the doubles point and never looked back. The Broncos swept the doubles matches for just the sixth time this season, giving them momentum heading into singles competition.
James Meredith and Jeff Mullen scored the first doubles win for Boise State, beating Jim Brouleau and Orlando Superlano, 8-4, at No. 1. They were followed by Filipp Pogostkin and Vicente Joli, who clinched the doubles point at No. 2 with an 8-6 win against Eduardo Salas and Arthur Surreaux. Alex Bothe and Erik Sheldon secured the doubles sweep at No. 3 with an 8-4 win over Gustave Diep and Luis Ramirez.
It wouldn't take long for the Broncos to add to their lead as Bothe scored a 6-0, 6-2 win over Matej Stakne in the No. 5 singles match to give Boise State a 2-0 lead in the dual. A 6-2, 6-3 win by No. 48 ranked Meredith over Brouleau put the Broncos within reach of the team win. Shortly thereafter Joli scored a 6-0, 4-6, 6-1 win against Surreaux at No. 2 to earn the decisive fourth point for Boise State.
The Broncos would record two more wins to push the final team score to 6-1, as Filipp Pogostkin won at No. 3 and Harry Skinner was victorious at No. 4. Pogostkin beat Diep, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), while Skinner beat Superlano, 7-5, 7-6 (7-5).
#49 Boise State University 6, University of Nevada 1
1. #48 James Meredith (BSU) def. Laurent Garcin (UNR) 6-3, 6-1
2. Wessim Derbel (UNR) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-2, 6-1
3. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Stefan Dmitrovic (UNR) 6-2, 2-6, 10-2
4. Alex Bothe (BSU) def. Alex Daruty (UNR) 6-3, 6-3
5. Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Augy Myard (UNR) 6-2, 6-3
6. Freddy Walsh (BSU) def. Gabe Kanzelmeyer (UNR) 6-3, 7-5
1. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Laurent Garcin/Augy Myard (UNR) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Stefan Dmitrovic/Wessim Derbel (UNR) 8-5
3. Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Alex Daruty/Kristian Kuharsky (UNR) 8-2
University of Nevada 6-7
Boise State University 16-9, 5-1; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (3,2,1); Singles (2,1,4,5,6,3)
#49 Boise State University 6, New Mexico State University 1
1. #48 James Meredith (BSU) def. Jim Brouleau (NMSU) 6-2, 6-3
2. Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 6-0, 4-6, 6-1
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Gustave Diep (NMSU) 6-2, 7-6 (7-5)
4. Harry Skinner (BSU) def. Orlando Superlano (NMSU) 7-5, 7-6 (7-5)
5. Alex Bothe (BSU) def. Matej Stakne (NMSU) 6-0, 6-2
6. Luis Ramirez (NMSU) def. Cristian Hodel (BSU) 7-5, 2-6, 10-2
1. James Meredith/Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Jim Brouleau/Orlando Superlano (NMSU) 8-4
2. Filipp Pogostkin/Vicente Joli (BSU) def. Eduardo Salas/Arthur Surreaux (NMSU) 8-6
3. Alex Bothe/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Gustave Diep/Luis Ramirez (NMSU) 8-4
New Mexico State University 10-6
Boise State University 15-9, 4-1; National ranking #49
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (5,1,2,3,4)
- Men's Sports
- Women's Sports
- Staff Directory
- Bronco Sports Properties
- Media Relations
- Sports Medicine
- Blue Thunder Marching Band
- Spirit Squad
- Ticket Office
- Ticket Office Home
- My Account
- Buy Tickets
- Accessibility/ADA Info
- Student Ticket Info
- Student Rewards Program
- Seating Charts
- Chairback Rentals
- Bronco Athletic Association
- BAA Home
- Bronco Luncheon Series
- Varsity B
- Boise State Hall of Fame
Boise State Ticket Office
1910 University Drive - MS 1230
Boise, ID 83725
Hours & Contact
Monday - Thursday | 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m.
Friday | 9 a.m. - 4:30 p.m
Phone: (208) 426-4737
Fax: (208) 426-2229
- FAN ZONE