BOISE, Idaho The No. 19-ranked Boise State men’s tennis team earned a well-played win over the University of Denver on Thursday, defeating the Pioneers, 6-1, in their final non-conference match of the season. The Broncos improved to 16-7 on the season while
The Broncos battled through the doubles set, eventually defeating the Pioneers in all three slots to clinch the doubles point. Seniors Stanley Sarapanich and Clancy Shields were the first to garner a win, defeating Benny Althaus and Yannick Weihs, 8-4 in the No. 2 match. Freshman Blane Shields and junior Matt Solomon were the next to pick up a win, defeating Ravjot Dhatt and David Simson in the No. 3 match, 8-4.
In singles play, the Broncos jumped to a 5-0 lead with four straight singles wins on top of their doubles point. Blane Shields was the first to earn a win, defeating Gunaseelan, 6-1, 6-1 in the No. 6 match. No. 70-ranked Feeder earned a 6-1, 6-2 over Zimmerman in the No. 1 match while No. 26-ranked Clancy Shields downed No. 123-ranked Simson, 6-1, 6-4 in the No. 2 match to clinch the team win. Sarapanich fought to a 3-6, 6-1, 10-4 tie-break win over Landwerlen to put the Broncos up 5-0.
The Broncos will travel to
Tennis Match Results
Apr 9, 2009 at
1. #70 Kean Feeder (BSU) def. Martin Zimmerman (DU) 6-1, 6-2
2. #26 Clancy Shields (BSU) def. #123 David Simson (DU) 6-1, 6-4
3. Benny Althaus (DU) def. #71 James Meredith (BSU) 3-6, 6-3, 11-9
4. Cristian Hodel (BSU) def. Yannick Weihs (DU) 6-2, 3-6, 6-4
6. Blane Shields (BSU) def. Varun Gunaseelan (DU) 6-1, 6-1
1. #50 Kean Feeder/James Meredith (BSU) def. Andrew Landwerlen/Martin Zimmerman (DU) 8-6
3. Blane Shields/Matt Solomon (BSU) def. Ravjot Dhatt/David Simson (DU) 8-4
Order of finish: Doubles (2,3,1); Singles (6,1,2,5,3,4)