BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis team brought its brooms to the Appleton Tennis Center, Saturday as the Broncos swept both Air Force and Weber State, 7-0.
The Broncos (20-6, 2-0 MW) did not lose a single doubles or singles match and only lost one of the 31 total sets played, Saturday.
In the opening match the Broncos started by winning all three doubles matches, including a set that finished 9-8 in tiebreakers with the team of Bettles/Pogostkin coming out on top.
In singles, all six Broncos won in straight sets, led by James Meredith who took down Lance Wilhelm 6-3, 6-2. He was followed closely by Andy Bettles and reigning Mountain West Player of the Week, Nathan Sereke. Bettles defeated his opponent 6-2, 6-2 while Sereke clinched a 6-2, 6-3 final.
Damian Hume, Scott Sears and Garrett Patton rounded out the Bronco lineup. Hume displayed the skill of the 56th-ranked player in the nation during his second set of a 6-4, 6-0 victory. Sears (7-5, 6-4) and Patton (6-4, 6-3) each had to work a little harder for their wins but added a tally to the win column nonetheless.
After about a three-hour intermission Boise State was back on the court to face regional foe Weber State. The doubles point ended in the same result, a Bronco sweep, this time in a more convincing fashion. Meredith Sereke won 8-4 at the No. 1 spot while Bettles/Pogostkin and Reid/Sheldon won 8-2 and 8-0, respectively.
Hume, Bettles, Sears and Patton each picked up their second wins of the day in straight sets of singles competition with Filipp Pogostkin and Erik Sheldon recording their first.
Sheldon, a senior from Phoenix, had some missteps early which led to a first-set loss, 6-2 to Ryan Garner. Sheldon rebounded nicely though in the second with a 6-0 win, forcing a third set. In the third, the two were even until Sheldon picked up a late break and held serve to finish the victor by a score of 6-4 and moving to 6-0 in singles this spring.
The men's side will take to the road next weekend for matches against TCU (Friday) and New Mexico (Sunday).
Boise State 7, Air Force 0
April 7, 2012 - Appleton Tennis Center
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Taylor/Wilhelm (AF) 8-3
2. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. Grubbs/Jackson (AF) 9-8 (3)
3. Reid/Sheldon (BSU) def. Katrein/Lineberry (AF) 8-5
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 2
1. James Meredith (BSU) def. Lance Wilhelm (AF) 6-3, 6-2
2. Damian Hume (BSU) def. Alex Grubbs (AF) 6-4, 6-0
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Alex Lineberry (AF) 6-2, 6-2
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. Grant Taylor (AF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Andy Jackson (AF) 7-5, 6-4
6. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Steven Young (AF) 6-4, 6-3
Order of Finish: 1, 3, 4, 6, 2, 5
Boise State 7, Weber State 0
1. Meredith/Sereke (BSU) def. Good/Unger (WSU) 8-4
2. Patton/Sears (BSU) def. Poitena/Ramstromer-Pello (WSU) 8-2
3. Reid/Sheldon (BSU) def. Garner/D. Hintze (WSU) 8-0
Order of Finish: 3, 2, 1
1. Damian Hume (BSU) def. Simon Unger (WSU) 6-3, 6-1
2. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Oliver Good (WSU) 6-0, 6-1
3. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Dave Hintze (WSU) 6-1, 6-1
4. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Peter Ramstromer-Pello (WSU) 7-6 (2), 6-2
5. Garrett Patton (BSU) def. Caio Poitena (WSU) 6-4, 6-4
6. Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Ryan Garner (WSU) 2-6, 6-0, 6-4
Order of Finish: 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6