BOISE, Idaho - The Boise State men's tennis team took a big step in securing a berth to the NCAA Tournament with a 4-3 win over rival No. 26 Fresno State, Saturday at the Appleton Tennis Center.
The Broncos started by competing for a tightly contested doubles point. All three matches remained close early, but Fresno State's No. 1 team of Alcantara/Boutillier pulled away for an 8-4 victory against Sereke/Meredith. The remaining two matches remained neck-and-neck, each side looking for a late break to push them over the top. Fresno State got exactly that on court two with an 8-6 win while the Broncos' Bettles/Pogostkin finished with a 9-7 victory. The last match was too little too late as Boise State dropped the point, a mark of five of the team's six losses this season.
After the Bulldogs took a little wind out of the Bronco Nation sails, the teams headed to singles play with Boise State needing to win four of the six matches but Fresno State looked poised to build on its four-match winning streak against the Broncos. The latter half of the Orange and Blue lineup would have something to say about that as they dismantled their individual opponents.
Andy Bettles raced through his match on court three and almost shut out Jean-Charles Diame, 6-1, 6-0 to even the overall score at 1-1. Filipp Pogostkin was finished soon after Bettles, defeating his opponent 6-2, 6-1 at the No. 5 position to give the Broncos a lead. Both are playing with hot streaks, Pogostkin is currently 9-1 in his last 10 matches while Bettles is 8-2.
Boise State would not look back, sealing the overall victory with convincing wins at No. 6 and No. 4 by Scott Sears and Nathan Sereke, respectively. Sears won 6-2, 6-1 before Sereke followed with a 6-2, 6-2 victory and was greeted by his teammates who charged the court to celebrate.
The Broncos will stay at home, where their current win streak is now 22 matches, to face Air Force and Weber State in a doubleheader, Saturday April 7.
Boise State 4, Fresno State 3
1. Alcantara/Boutillier (FSU) def. Sereke/Meredith (BSU) 8-4
2. Ayoun.Leslie (FSU) def. Hume/Sears (BSU) 8-6
3. Bettles/Pogostkin (BSU) def. DeLaubenfels/Diame 9-7
Order of Finish: 1, 2, 3
1. No. 28 Remi Boutillier (FSU) def. No. 56 James Meredith (BSU), 3-6, 6-1, 10-8
2. No. 48 Francis Alcantara (FSU) def. No. 63 Damian Hume (BSU), 6-4, 6-3
3. Andy Bettles (BSU) def. Jean-Charles Diame (FSU), 6-1, 6-0
4. Nathan Sereke (BSU) def. David Ayoun (FSU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Zachary Leslie (FSU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Scott Sears (BSU) def. Reid DeLaubenfels (FSU), 6-2, 6-1
Order of Finish: 3, 5, 6, 4, 1, 2