LOS ANGELES, Calif. - The Southern California sun wasn't kind to the Boise State men's tennis team this week as the Broncos dropped their second dual in two days, on Wednesday (March 31), with a 7-0 loss at No. 9 UCLA.
Playing a pair of duals that had been rescheduled due to rain earlier this spring, No. 42 Boise State opened its' road trip with a 4-3 loss at No. 23 Pepperdine on Tuesday. The Broncos fought hard to try and earn a split before returning home, but UCLA proved to be just too strong.
The Bruins took an early lead in the dual with a sweep of the doubles matches. James Meredith and Alex Bothe dropped the No. 1 doubles match to No. 41 Nick Meister and Amit Inbar, 8-0, to open up the dual. UCLA clinched the doubles point at No. 2 as Alex Brigham and Holden Seguso beat Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin, 8-3.
Singles wouldn't get any easier for the Broncos, as the Bruins swept all six matches behind strong play from three of their four players who are currently ranked nationally. In the No. 1 singles match, No. 89 ranked Meister beat No. 48 Meredith, 6-2, 6-3. No. 52 Matt Brooklyn then beat Joli, 6-2, 6-4 at No. 2. In the No. 3 singles match, No. 102 Inbar extended the UCLA lead with a 6-3, 6-2 win over Harry Skinner.
The Bruins would sweep the final three singles matches to complete the shutout, dropping Boise State's overall record this season to 13-8 (3-1 Western Athletic Conference). The Broncos will look to rebound with a pair of home duals this Saturday (April 3). The Broncos will meet Montana State at 10 a.m. before hosting UC Santa Barbara at 5 p.m. Boise State is currently undefeated (9-0) in Boise this spring.
No. 9 UCLA 7, #42 Boise State 0
Doubles: (Order of finish - 1, 2, 3)
- 1.) #41 Nick Meister/Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. James Meredith/Alex Bothe (BSU) 8-0
- 2.) Alex Brigham/Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 8-3
- 3.) Matt Brooklyn/Kallim Stewart (UCLA) def. Jeff Mullen/Erik Sheldon (BSU) 8-4
Singles: (Order of finish - 4, 5, 1, 3, 2, 6)
- 1.) #89 Nick Meister (UCLA) def. #48 James Meredith (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
- 2.) #52 Matt Brooklyn (UCLA) def. Vicente Joli (BSU) 6-2, 6-4
- 3.) #102 Amit Inbar (UCLA) def. Harry Skinner (BSU) 6-3, 6-2
- 4.) Holden Seguso (UCLA) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) 6-1, 6-0
- 5.) Maxime Tabatruong (UCLA) def. Alex Bothe (BSU) 6-2, 6-3
- 6.) Alex Brigham (UCLA) def. Jeff Mullen (BSU) 6-3, 2-6, 7-5
UCLA - 11-4
Boise State - 13-8