"We were banging on the door; we got our foot in and knee in but just couldn't get through," explained head coach Greg Patton. "I am really pleased with how we played against a team like Pepperdine. When it comes down to 7-5 on the last set it means we are on the same level as them. We are right there and we are improving every match."
The Broncos started out strong, earning the doubles point with wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 spots. Jeff Mullen and Erik Sheldon earned the first win of the day, topping Pepperdine's Sebastian Fanselow and Alejandro Moreno, 8-3, in the No. 3 doubles match. Vicente Joli and Filipp Pogostkin earned the second win of the day for Boise State, defeating Hugh Clark and Finn Tearney, 9-8 (3), in the No. 2 match to help the Broncos clinch the doubles point.
In the No. 1 doubles match Boise State's Alex Bothe and James Meredith were defeated by No. 22-ranked Bassam Beidas and Alex Llompart, 8-6.
In singles play, James Meredith put another notch in the Broncos' belt, winning an upset match in the No. 1 singles spot. The No. 48-ranked Meredith earned a quick 6-2, 6-4 win over the No. 33-ranked Beidas.
Pepperdine was able to tighten the team score with Llompart earning a 7-6 (4), 6-0 win over Boise State's Harry Skinner in the No. 3 singles match.
The Broncos, however, were able to go up 3-1 in the team score when Mullen captured a solid 6-2, 6-4 win over the Waves' Jenson Turner in the No. 6 singles match.
From there Pepperdine was able to earn two quick team points after Finn Tearney topped Filipp Pogostkin, 6-1, 2-6, 6-1, in the No. 4 singles match followed by a 7-6 (4), 7-5 win by No. 58-ranked Fanselow over Boise State's Joli in the No. 2 singles match.
With the team scores tied 3-3, the match came down to the No. 5 singles match which Pepperdine's Mousheg Hovhannisyan was able to sneak past Boise State's Alex Bothe, 4-6, 7-5, 7-5 to clinch the team win for Pepperdine.
The Broncos continue their California trip by heading to Los Angeles to meet No. 9-ranked UCLA on Wednesday (March 31) at 1 p.m. (PST).
#23 Pepperdine 4, #42 Boise State 3
1) #22 Bassam Beidas/Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Alex Bothe/James Meredith (BSU), 8-6
2) Vicente Joli/Filipp Pogostkin (BSU) def. Hugh Clarke/Finn Tearney (PEP), 9-8 (3)
3) Jeff Mullen/Erik Sheldon (BSU) def. Sebastian Fanselow/Alejandro Moreno (PEP), 8-3
Order of finish: 3, 1, 2
1) #48 James Meredith (BSU) def. #33 Bassam Beidas (PEP), 6-2, 6-4
2) #58 Sebastian Fanselow (PEP) def. Vicente Joli (BSU), 7-6 (4), 7-5
3) Alex Llompart (PEP) def. Harry Skinner (BSU), 7-6 (4), 6-0
4) Finn Tearney (PEP) def. Filipp Pogostkin (BSU), 6-1, 2-6, 6-1
5) Mousheg Hovhannisyan (PEP) def. Alex Bothe (BSU), 4-6, 7-5, 7-5
6) Jeff Mullen (BSU) def. Jenson Turner (PEP), 6-2, 6-4
Order of finish: 1, 3, 6, 4, 2, 5
Records: #23 Pepperdine 8-9, #42 Boise State 13-7